Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] A27 Lewes Mobile camera

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
I think they are stricter with the average speed cams
When I bought my property in Northumberland I used the M1 and A1 to get there. Both roads had huge up date programmes going on, the M1 to a smart motorway and a load of dualling on A1. Both had vast lengths under Average speed cams even where there was nobody working. What got my goat was the HGV's seem to ignore the limits. I asked my friend who drove HGV's for a living, his reply was the motorist were easier to prosecute than haulage companies who pleaded the need to get their loads to their destinations quickly.
People dont realise either they use infra red cameras so they'll nab you day or night.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

brand new tyres have a greater circumference than very old near the legal limit ones therefore they say your going faster than you really are.
I can't believe so many replies have been made without this post being challenged. As it implies that the speedo works by calculating the frequency at which the wheel rotates, one clad in a new tyre will propel the vehicle slightly further per rotation than one with worn rubber. This means it must be traveling slightly faster than the speedo thinks it is and so it will be saying you are going slower than you really are.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My husband did a speed awareness course locally instead of a fine & 3 points. It was free.

They are free, I've been to two speed awareness courses in Ealing for various land speed record attempts.
The clientele is a lot to be desired, bordering on overseas visitors not speaking the lingo, white rapper man and normal chap, which I include myself in the latter.
A real eye opener to the world of driver :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was caught last year and took the points, couldn't be assessed with the course. Got caught again a few weeks ago and now taking the course as don't want six points. So doesn't look like it has to be first offence.

They won't let you take the course. Or they will, but you'll get the points anyway.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
The circumference of the tyres is only a small part. There is a drive from the engine relating to rpm and also from the ecu on more modern cars. When all these components are put together you get a read out on your dash panel.
I can't believe so many replies have been made without this post being challenged. As it implies that the speedo works by calculating the frequency at which the wheel rotates, one clad in a new tyre will propel the vehicle slightly further per rotation than one with worn rubber. This means it must be traveling slightly faster than the speedo thinks it is and so it will be saying you are going slower than you really are.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I thought the speed awareness was actually an eye opener on what you don’t know. I personally think it should be compulsory every 10years to change behaviours. Anyway in 10years time none of us will be actually be driving anyway so it wont matter

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I drive this road daily and believe the police sit at that roundabout because it's easy money. . On the other hand, if you insist on shooting past huge great big 50 signs then tough.

D

Deleted member 2719

Anyone been caught by this?

Passed it today and I might be in trouble, reckon I was doing 55 to 60. Annoyed with myself having 33 years driving without ever being stopped/caught by the police and I average 45000 miles a year.

Plenty of sympathy for you as doing the high mileage you do and just lapsing for a few seconds because your not staring at your dashboard and watching the road (quite right IMO) they will make you feel like your a crap driver regardless of your mega miles you have done.

If they offer you the awareness course be prepared with a Beano annual stuffed down the back of your corduroys, because you may well get a dominatrix who is going to give it large to you in a smug type of way.

Beware of brown envelopes in the next week.:eek:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I got caught speeding (or possibly I didn't) a few years ago. It might have been me, but was more probably my daughter. I phoned the police force concerned to see if they could be any help in deciding who it was; they couldn't.
My daughter was spending a year driving round Australia with her boyfriend (a non-driver) - and they said if it was her, they wouldn't let her take the course when she got back to blighty, they would inform the Australian police to stop her, confiscate her licence (leaving her stranded) and send it back to the UK to be endorsed, as well as fining her. That process, they said, would probably take three months, leaving her stranded wherever the Aussie police had caught up with her, with no spare money and little chance of earning any without transport.
On that basis, I decided that the offending speeder was probably me, and I did the safer driving course for about 90 quid. A month later I had my first ever accident in 45 years of driving - fortunately a very minor one (it wouldn't even have gone to the insurance company if the other bloke hadn't been such an {one word filtered out that means hole in the arse}, but apparently the amount paid out to repair his brand new car was less than £250 - my car wasn't damaged at all).
Obviously though, the safer driving course was crap!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I thought the speed awareness was actually an eye opener on what you don’t know. I personally think it should be compulsory every 10years to change behaviours. Anyway in 10years time none of us will be actually be driving anyway so it wont matter

I know loads who’ve been on the course, who prepared to mentally switch off for the day with “blah blah blah” in the background.

But all came away saying they learnt so much, including very practical modern driving advice. One point being that drivers of manual cars routinely work their way up through all the gears, as originally taught. But because most modern cars are faster than cars from decades past, people drive in too high a gear for urban environments. The point being that people drive too fast, to justify being in 4th gear.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've never understood the obsession with 4th gear, I learnt to drive 2 years ago so I don't feel the need to be in 4th all the time but a lot of the people who have driven me around since passing have instinctively gone into 4th. I suppose it is a habit you can put down to driving experience but if it was something which was taught, my question would be why.

I drove along the A27 out west tonight and I was especially careful of the switch to 50 but it is pretty clear. I can imagine it's not really taken too seriously by people on the stretch all the time but there's no argument about it not being well signed.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
I got caught speeding (or possibly I didn't) a few years ago. It might have been me, but was more probably my daughter. I phoned the police force concerned to see if they could be any help in deciding who it was; they couldn't.
My daughter was spending a year driving round Australia with her boyfriend (a non-driver) - and they said if it was her, they wouldn't let her take the course when she got back to blighty, they would inform the Australian police to stop her, confiscate her licence (leaving her stranded) and send it back to the UK to be endorsed, as well as fining her. That process, they said, would probably take three months, leaving her stranded wherever the Aussie police had caught up with her, with no spare money and little chance of earning any without transport.
On that basis, I decided that the offending speeder was probably me, and I did the safer driving course for about 90 quid. A month later I had my first ever accident in 45 years of driving - fortunately a very minor one (it wouldn't even have gone to the insurance company if the other bloke hadn't been such an {one word filtered out that means hole in the arse}, but apparently the amount paid out to repair his brand new car was less than £250 - my car wasn't damaged at all).
Obviously though, the safer driving course was crap!

Absolute wind-up surely !
No way could I ever envisage Australian police throwing time & resources into chasing up a very minor UK traffic offence.
The notion that Australian Highway Patrols throughout this vast country would be alert and armed with a photo of your daughter, primed to pull her over should she happen to drive pass one of their vehicles is preposterous !

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've never understood the obsession with 4th gear, I learnt to drive 2 years ago so I don't feel the need to be in 4th all the time but a lot of the people who have driven me around since passing have instinctively gone into 4th. I suppose it is a habit you can put down to driving experience but if it was something which was taught, my question would be why.

I drove along the A27 out west tonight and I was especially careful of the switch to 50 but it is pretty clear. I can imagine it's not really taken too seriously by people on the stretch all the time but there's no argument about it not being well signed.

True. I think circa half of drivers using that stretch of the A27, simply treat it all as a 70 or 80mph drive.

With the new use this year there of the speed trap in a van, catching so many out.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Absolute wind-up surely !
No way could I ever envisage Australian police throwing time & resources into chasing up a very minor UK traffic offence.
The notion that Australian Highway Patrols throughout this vast country would be alert and armed with a photo of your daughter, primed to pull her over should she happen to drive pass one of their vehicles is preposterous !
No wind up. Gospel truth. West Midlands police stated they would contact Aussie police to seize her licence (not difficult when she's hiring, buying ant taxing camper vans to get round Australia). They absolutely refused the idea of her doing the speed course on er return - unless she voluntarily flew back to do it within three months).

was more probably my daughter.... On that basis, I decided that the offending speeder was probably me, and I did the safer driving course for about 90 quid. A month later I had my first ever accident in 45 years of driving - fortunately a very minor one (it wouldn't even have gone to the insurance company if the other bloke hadn't been such an...
Do you realise people (with no criminal record) have gone to prison for admitting what you have apparently just done? (because it's perverting the course of justice). If that's not bad enough, you then go on to imply that you would have made a financial gain by falsely claiming (on the next insurance application) that you hadn't had an accident!
How do you plead?

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Do you realise people (with no criminal record) have gone to prison for admitting what you have apparently just done? (because it's perverting the course of justice). If that's not bad enough, you then go on to imply that you would have made a financial gain by falsely claiming (on the next insurance application) that you hadn't had an accident.
How do you plead?

:facepalm: Not guilty of course - because I wasn't.

1).My daughter and I didn't know which one of us it was; it could have been either of us, and we genuinely didn't know. We asked the police if there was any way they could help us, with more details, to ascertain beyond all doubt who it was; they couldn't. It was definitely one of us, and 'don't know' isn't an option!
2).Read the sentence about my insurance claim again. Now tell me about the accident you think I had that I never told them about. There wasn't one. Try and consider the significance of the word 'first'.............

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A colleague was caught there by the van trap last Friday morning, going westbound just east of the Ashcombe (Kingston) roundabout.

Apparently going 70, so not expecting an offer of the speed awareness course.

The authorities never used to patrol that patch, so they must be minting it this year.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
A colleague was caught there by the van trap last Friday morning, going westbound just east of the Ashcombe (Kingston) roundabout.

Apparently going 70, so not expecting an offer of the speed awareness course.

The authorities never used to patrol that patch, so they must be minting it this year.

Are you sure you have your East and West the right way round?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here