Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is this the beginning of the end for sky sports?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is this the prelude to all games being available on Seagulls TV at a price in the future. If that was the case I would pay the price to watch all away games and I am sure many who cant get to games would subscribe to watch all games with the clubs reaping the benefit not Sky or the BBC.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I have BT TV (with BT Sport) and use Now TV, as and when, at either £6.99 per day of £12.99 per week depending on what is scheduled.

Whereas I don't particularly like SKy or what they have done, things are what they are for now and, for those who suggest that Seagulls TV is the way forward, where would our annual £100m TV 'rights' come from as long as we remain in the PL.

I read the post about DCFC and what they are doing and good luck to them if they can make it work whilst in the Championship.

Sadly it is difficult to see what can replace SKy and BT and some of the other smaller companies to replicate revenue streams when it comes to Premier League Clubs.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Is this the prelude to all games being available on Seagulls TV at a price in the future. If that was the case I would pay the price to watch all away games and I am sure many who cant get to games would subscribe to watch all games with the clubs reaping the benefit not Sky or the BBC.
Allowing clubs to organise their own TV rights would be the end of competitive football in this country.

Brighton simply wouldn't get the same amount of money and the top 6 would walk away with the rest.

Not sure how the BBC reap any "benefit" in any case.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If it was guaranteed to show every away game I would be happy with £20 per month subscription if I could pay it only during the season and not during the summer unless a deal could be done with Sussex CCC.

That's the club f#### then. Every game live? Manchester United would charge £1,000 a season at least and make millions worldwide.

Before someone argues there will be streams anyway, the clubs will simply move over to an internet only delivery and completely nail the piracy.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I would pay £10 per game although I imagine the price would be higher, probably just out of my financial comfort zone, the great benefit being I can still use a flask

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Well, I only watch Sky Sports News via Virgin and if Albion are away and being screened by Sky then I pay NOW £6,99 per match. Suits all my needs.

If at end of season some vital matches involving our rivals are being shown on BT then I pop round to relatives to watch. All sorted.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
If in the next ten years the big 6 aren't allowed to stream all their games and earn millions more than everybody else doesn't it make it more likely they will form their own breakaway league?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
The first stone has been thrown in the battle for the top 6 getting a bigger slice of revenue from overseas broadcasters. If the PPV model was adopted by everyone then we would be in deep trouble and completely unable to compete.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Either way the Big 6 are only interested in their money hence the changing of the allocation of away revenue from ticket sales so what difference would it make if they did a breakaway TV deal and if they did Sky etc wouldn't be interested in the rest so wouldn't offer a large fee.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Either way the Big 6 are only interested in their money hence the changing of the allocation of away revenue from ticket sales so what difference would it make if they did a breakaway TV deal and if they did Sky etc wouldn't be interested in the rest so wouldn't offer a large fee.

Which change is this. I'm fairly sure outside of cup competitions the home club has retained all gate money for some time.

A quick check suggests home league gate receipts have been kept by the home club since 1988

Last edited:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
The real threat to Sky and Bt are the online services such as Amazon, Facebook and others. Sky & Eurosport have lost Tennis US open this year to Amazon Prime as well as Amazon picking up Football next year.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Which change is this. I'm fairly sure outside of cup competitions the home club has retained all gate money for some time.

A quick check suggests home league gate receipts have been kept by the home club since 1988

I think that was his point. You might want to check how it was changed.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
The future task of providers of 'entertainment' is allowing ALL of their work on world wide availability, live or box sets, on a pay per view basis.... When the customer wants to watch them NOT necessarily when they are broadcast.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The first stone has been thrown in the battle for the top 6 getting a bigger slice of revenue from overseas broadcasters. If the PPV model was adopted by everyone then we would be in deep trouble and completely unable to compete.

the top clubs have long recognised that a strong league make for a more interesting and more lucrative sport product. no one is spending billons on the Spanish or German leagues because they are too predictable. they will probably argue and get a slightly bigger slice of the money, based on position. any move to PPV will stay as a package sold to the service provider rather than direct to market, which would just be a huge cost overhead for them to manage..

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've got normal Sky Sports on TV tonight, and the red button allows you to watch any one of four EFL games live.

After a long break, I went back to Sky & BT (on Virgin TV) last January, and have had more than my monies worth. No complaints.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here