Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sadly, I don't care any more.......

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I hope you take this in the spirit it is intended (which is constructive and friendly) but isn't this just ratcheting things up even more. It seems every day the reaction to the vote gets even bigger. To make it affect your feelings for the Albion seem daft to me ( I don't mean you are daft, just the sentiment). There will almost certainly be another referendum which you have a very good chance of winning if this time the younger voters appear at the polling station. Once the political parties sort themselves out a pro EU consensus will likely emerge which you can get behind.In the meantime there will be a lot of national debate over how we find a way to reconcile the wishes of those who dislike and those who like the EU. No point in wallowing in negativity. There will be a positive way forward and whatever the outcome the England football team will be crap and the Albion will be glorious ! Chin up

IMO there is merit to your post. However the post from Lincoln Imp and the OP are both full of perhaps more worthy comments. I can't agree that making ones merited point of view should be viewed as ratcheting things up. I'm in my mid seventys, have spent much more than half my working life working in defence of my country, and am hugely patriotic. That said, at this moment I am close to being ashamed, should I (and millions of others) be tarred with the same brush as Nigel Farange after his disgraceful performance at Brussels today. This, bearing in mind it will be viewed by millions upon millions of ordinary Europeans, who may in ignorance believe that he speaks for all Brits.
Calling this referendum was a huge mistake, and will still be hanging around for years to come.
Making us even less popular :down:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
IMO there is merit to your post. However the post from Lincoln Imp and the OP are both full of perhaps more worthy comments. I can't agree that making ones merited point of view should be viewed as ratcheting things up. I'm in my mid seventys, have spent much more than half my working life working in defence of my country, and am hugely patriotic. That said, at this moment I am close to being ashamed, should I (and millions of others) be tarred with the same brush as Nigel Farange after his disgraceful performance at Brussels today. This, bearing in mind it will be viewed by millions upon millions of ordinary Europeans, who may in ignorance believe that he speaks for all Brits.
Calling this referendum was a huge mistake, and will still be hanging around for years to come.
Making us even less popular :down:

we can certainly agree on Mr Farage's performance. Insulting people is always a bad option and he had a great platform to reach out to our friends in Europe which he sadly missed. He showed himself up to be a very petty and quite unpleasant man. This of course is not news to us. The point I was gently trying to make is regarding the wave of negativity surrounding the result and the further divisions being made by both sides. We all have to work together in my opinion. I voted Leave but I fully accept that a 52-48 result is not an emphatic endorsement of Leave. We have to find a way forward and that will involve engaging with differing points of view and perhaps another referendum. I certainly don't wish for people to be so unhappy with the outcome that it seems to affect their well-being. Ive just been listening to Shelagh Fogerty on LBC and there are people ringing in to say they have fallen out with friends and family over this issue. I think people should do the opposite ie listen, share their ideas and be constructive and positive.

Bermondseygull

Jul 6, 2014
Down by the river
I've been saying this for years - that there are players in the Championship and lower down that would better represent England. I would advocate that all managers regardless of what division they play in are invited to send their best players to an England training camp. We may end up with a team composed of players from the lower divisions but it hasn't exactly harmed Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland has it - they play with passion and pride.
Why should it just be the Premier League who represent the country - they're not better they just earn more

I really like this idea. It would be a great way to get fans from clubs all over the country involved and interested in the country's club again rather than just as a running joke which they now are. It would benefit the lower clubs as their player wouldn't just be playing against but also training with some "top premier league stars" (for what they're currently worth) - and might give those star players a deserved kick up the a**e. Can you imagine Hart being threatened with replacement on the England team by Stockers? Personally I don't think a single one of them should ever be "guaranteed" a place in the squad - same as in rugby where some of the most capped players are dropped if they're not performing to a high enough standard. The FA would probably have to introduce some sort of financial incentive for clubs to take advantage of it but it would definitely build cohesion within a team and address some of the issues that mean they play like a bunch of individuals who've never met before.

Without going into my personal views on Brexit, the cynicism and outrage surrounding us losing last night seems reflective of the wider national climate, not just in the last week but which has been slowly building for months, if not years. We urgently need something we can all get behind again, like the Olympics were in 2012, or I fear things will only get worse as cynicism and disunity builds. At the moment we have so many divisions but nothing we can all unite around. Regardless of Friday's result, Britain will never be great again unless we come together and make it great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Shocking. Did they inform the conductor/"train manager" as to what happened? He/she could get the racists thrown off the train - after confirming the incident with the trolley attendant - and even arrange for them to be met by BTP at the next station if available.

He kept his head down, he thinks some comments were thrown his way as well as he changed carriages. Doesn't know if anything happened.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I love this country and I'm proud that the majority voted that we will no longer put up with being dictated to by a bunch of corrupt, faceless, foreign bureaucrats and that we will STAND OR FALL on our own terms. It takes more than a pathetic display in a game of football to make me feel otherwise. So if any of you lily-livered pansies have got a problem with that, meet me by the swings in Hove Park in twenty minutes and we'll sort it out bare-knuckle stylee.:angry:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I think it was Chris Waddle quoted yesterday as saying that the England players were always walking around with earphones covering their ears instead of talking to each other and creating a bit of camaraderie. Maybe he has a point. If I had been Woy I would have banned the things and told the players that as long as they are together in and around the England camp they talk to each other instead of listening to bloody music.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Twelve months ago I had nothing. I'd lost my freedom. Now, every morning I count my blessings that I've been forgiven and had to change. To walk away when any trouble's brewing, to be assertive, to be cool, calm and calculated. There's been bad days but nothing compared to the hell of being locked up.

Society does seem to be a case of haves and have-nots these days. What the OP wrote had a lot of honesty about it but we have to be greatful that nearly all of us have our freedom, health and loved ones.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
we can certainly agree on Mr Farage's performance. Insulting people is always a bad option and he had a great platform to reach out to our friends in Europe which he sadly missed. He showed himself up to be a very petty and quite unpleasant man. This of course is not news to us. The point I was gently trying to make is regarding the wave of negativity surrounding the result and the further divisions being made by both sides. We all have to work together in my opinion. I voted Leave but I fully accept that a 52-48 result is not an emphatic endorsement of Leave. We have to find a way forward and that will involve engaging with differing points of view and perhaps another referendum. I certainly don't wish for people to be so unhappy with the outcome that it seems to affect their well-being. Ive just been listening to Shelagh Fogerty on LBC and there are people ringing in to say they have fallen out with friends and family over this issue. I think people should do the opposite ie listen, share their ideas and be constructive and positive.

I agree with all of that. :)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Prefer this analysis to the OP's

It's not about feeling superior it's about feeling disenfranchised, being constantly ignored ... people feeling they were powerless to bring about real change. Distant from those making decisions. The EU being one part of the problem.

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed but there are numerous European countries that have populations that feel the same way and are teetering on the brink of leaving the EU. Suggesting this is just about our culture or we no best is convenient bollox believed by people who can't come to terms with the referendum result.

Time to look for solutions to bring the country (which has been divided for a long time) together rather than wallow in self pity!

Well as I am sure you can imagine I am not wallowing in self pity, not that I assume you were directing that at me. I also doubt that all the brexiters feel like you, that its about being disenfranchised. I doubt the word has any resonance with many brexiters.

But anyway, I agree with you that the result is the result and we will just have to make the best of it. Much like the football.

Take it easy!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here