Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR fiasco at Huddersfield

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Very odd decision denied Man Utd a second goal.
Firstly, it wasn’t a clear and obvious mistake to allow the goal.
Secondly,it appears the VAR ref used wonky lines overlaying the play on the screen (later denied)
Thirdly, it wasn’t offside.
I don’t think that this technology suits football. Let the officials make the decisions.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The technology is probably ok, it’s just the interpretation and the ridicule it invites, eg the official being 300 miles away. It works brilliantly for rugby so why not football?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I've spent 20+ years seeing dodgy decisions go Manures way. Do care about this one? No.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Secondly,it appears the VAR ref used wonky lines overlaying the play on the screen (later denied)
I don’t think that this technology suits football. Let the officials make the decisions.

Glory, glory man united. YOUR reds go marching on and on.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Teething trouble doesn't make it a bad idea.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I don't see the problem. You could see Mata's knee was offside, even if it was only very slightly. But it doesn't matter - offside is offside - you could see he was slightly offside so it's clear and obvious. But all goals are reviewed for offside, irrespective of whether it is 'clear and obvious'. The lines not working correctly initially was a shambles, but they weren't used to make the decision (straight lines were), and the right decision was made. Not sure why you think it wasn't offside (or the BT commentators for that matter). With the straight lines that were eventually shown, you can clearly see it was.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
A tool is only as good as the tools that are using it.

(Though final decision does appear to have been correct.)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't see the problem. You could see Mata's knee was offside, even if it was only very slightly. But it doesn't matter - offside is offside - you could see he was slightly offside so it's clear and obvious. But all goals are reviewed for offside, irrespective of whether it is 'clear and obvious'. The lines not working correctly initially was a shambles, but they weren't used to make the decision (straight lines were), and the right decision was made. Not sure why you think it wasn't offside (or the BT commentators for that matter). With the straight lines that were eventually shown, you can clearly see it was.
Well this is a different take on events.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Smalling handball not given
Man U goal wrongly ruled out

Took 3/4 minutes to get it wrong

Add to the Liverpool V WBA joke its not working

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Teething trouble doesn't make it a bad idea.

I have to disagree, my own view is that VAR is the Trojan horse that will in time will essentially provide for mid game advertising.

I’m sure FIFA and the other football associations look enviously at how the US sports are able to maximise revenue due to the time outs etc. that proliferate their games.

VAR creates the same opportunity for football, and in time I expect it will be developed so that managers get 2 appeals or decisions have to be concluded in 2 mins........of course they won’t indicate that is the future plan now, we have to get used to it first.

All we have at the moment is the thin end of the wedge.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Exactly this. I don't know what everyone's moaning about. It's offside, it took a minute or so. Correct decision. End of story.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I have to disagree, my own view is that VAR is the Trojan horse that will in time will essentially provide for mid game advertising.

I’m sure FIFA and the other football associations look enviously at how the US sports are able to maximise revenue due to the time outs etc. that proliferate their games.

VAR creates the same opportunity for football, and in time I expect it will be developed so that managers get 2 appeals or decisions have to be concluded in 2 mins........of course they won’t indicate that is the future plan now, we have to get used to it first.

Very much like tennis, it'll come good I think. Using it at the World Cup though, no way, yet

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Smalling handball not given
Man U goal wrongly ruled out

Took 3/4 minutes to get it wrong

Add to the Liverpool V WBA joke its not working

Everyone just loves an excuse to jump on the bandwagon.

Take a look. Clearly offside so correct call.

[tweet]964931657584099328[/tweet]

I expect the actual evidence will be ignored as this is debated over the rest of the weekend, and only the wonky lines will be used by people to claim it was the wrong decision.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can certainly see the yanks doing it. In fact, I can't see them not doing it. 'This decision is being reviewed by Crunchy Crunch, the crunchiest crunch there is'.

Doesn't FIFA have enough money already?

I wish you were wrong, but it's a pretty valid concern. We need to do our best to not accept it (any ads that creep in, rather than var).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here