Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Toolmaker was a good job. I trained as a mechanical engineer. Really appreciate all the training I got from the old guys before i moved on. All the machines where in imperial, and that was in the 90s. Main jobs where blocking up, drilling, surface grinding. CNC was a dirty word.

Imperial yes I remember it well. CNC were the future and creeping in. It was the cheapness of far flung shores to produce what we could for half the cost mostly wages. I was KTM, Qualtex and Baty's

D

Deleted member 22389

Imperial yes I remember it well. CNC were the future and creeping in. It was the cheapness of far flung shores to produce what we could for half the cost mostly wages. I was KTM, Qualtex and Baty's

Lost my job, same reason. Cheaper to manufacture abroad. My grandfather worked at kierney and trecker, not wish us now, but he was a turner. That's when they had belts across the ceiling to run the machines lol.

larus

So only the 2000 matter then regardless of the amount of new jobs . Engineering lost thousands in the 80s I was one of them as jobs left these shores for cheaper alternatives. I was a toolmaker. Guess what I retrained and got a better paid job. Thousand of miners also retrained got other jobs. It happens

I work in IT and my industry (and me personally no doubt) will have been responsible for the losses of many jobs over time.
Word processors - all those typing pool jobs gone.
Business systems - automatic printing of paperwork - see above.
Then data input - barcode reading, SFDC systems, electronic transactions. All removing the need for human intervention.
Automatic reporting of data - no manual intervention required.
Etc, etc. All this leads to efficiency/productivity gains, but so often these things are resisted by the left as “you’re taking our jobs away”. There is some truth in that, but without the productive gains, these industries eventually become uncompetitive and wither away, so you lose all of the jobs.

One thing I read recently is that within the UK, being that we are more of a service industry, it’s much harder to get ‘productivity improvements”. It’s easier in manufacturing, as you can improve automation/speed of machines. If you’re selling ‘time’ services, how can you measure productivity and how can you improve? This is where statistics can be very misleading

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
One thing I read recently is that within the UK, being that we are more of a service industry, it’s much harder to get ‘productivity improvements”. It’s easier in manufacturing, as you can improve automation/speed of machines. If you’re selling ‘time’ services, how can you measure productivity and how can you improve? This is where statistics can be very misleading

There are surely a number of reasons for low productivity in the UK. The obvious one is alluded to a few posts above - ancient Imperial machines still labouring away in the nineties.

And there's a connection between low productivity and high employment. Britain has both.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I don’t agree with this statement at all. You can improve productivity of services in many ways from re-organising management and teams to smarter processes and ways of operating to technological advancements. I would actually argue it can be easier in some cases; with manufacturing you can be limited by the speed of the machines. This isn’t the case with services.

larus

I don’t agree with this statement at all. You can improve productivity of services in many ways from re-organising management and teams to smarter processes and ways of operating to technological advancements. I would actually argue it can be easier in some cases; with manufacturing you can be limited by the speed of the machines. This isn’t the case with services.

Legal services etc. (which is one part that the City Of London does well in) are hard to measure. How can you measure the productivity of 800 hours of legal time? How complex is the subject matter etc?

Manufacturing, distribution, etc. are easy in comparison.

I’m not saying that there is not huge scope for improvement in some of the traditional legal/financial industries (we’ve all dealt with solicitors and their antiquated systems), but the same can be applied local/national governments. However, this problem of official inefficiencies is likely to be the same everywhere.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Regardless of the way you voted, isn't it high time that Theresa May addressed the nation about what the hell is going on? Empty soundbites, repetitive slogans and no substance whatsoever. It can't go on like this, can it?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Makes me laugh how the Brexiteers are bed wetting over George Soros, when they have been funded by Arron Panama Papers Banks

Interesting to see if anything moves on this week. Are the Tories going back to the idea of a border in the Irish sea? Sinn Fein would love that...

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Underpreprared, under resourced, unready - It's all going well at The Home Office as usual - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...heme-may-not-be-ready-before-brexit-95n2kc2ml

It's not the Government's fault obviously though and as usual The Honourable Member for the 18th Century is getting the excuses in:

Jacob Rees-Mogg, the Conservative MP for North East Somerset and chairman of the European Research Group faction of Eurosceptic Tories, said that Whitehall’s “incompetence” would be displayed if the system were not ready.

Mr Rees-Mogg told The Times: “If this were true, it would be a sad admission of incompetence at the Home Office and it would be hard to believe that someone as efficient as Amber Rudd would accept such a sorry state of affairs.”

it would be hard to believe that someone as efficient as Amber Rudd

That last line really is comic genius. :rotlf:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Regardless of the way you voted, isn't it high time that Theresa May addressed the nation about what the hell is going on? Empty soundbites, repetitive slogans and no substance whatsoever. It can't go on like this, can it?

I think she is just hanging on waiting for some implosion from the EU and them saying, oh....ok you have the Queen and are the 6th largest economy in the world and once ruled half the world, what do you need?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

It can't, but Theresa May is totally hamstrung by that backwards, characature **** Rees Mogg so she is keeping quiet whilst the country gets ****ed.

Thanks Theresa!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Toolmaker was a good job. I trained as a mechanical engineer. Really appreciate all the training I got from the old guys before i moved on. All the machines where in imperial, and that was in the 90s. Main jobs where blocking up, drilling, surface grinding. CNC was a dirty word.

Have a friend that is still in tool making, doing a good niche business in the UK, with Polish staff

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“Theresa May will deliver a major speech within the next three weeks outlining the future relationship Britain wants to have with the EU. Before that, senior ministers are also due to give speeches in a campaign dubbed "the road to Brexit" by No 10.

This should be a giggle. I wonder how many variations on Brexit we’ll get?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I read in an article somewhere the other day that no matter what the event or situation, Mrs May always looks uncomfortable in a Human body.

Maybe it's because of guilt or shame about what she has said and done in order to achieve and hang on to power?

Jan 30, 2008

no, we'll eventually leave the EU :thumbsup:
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
I read in an article somewhere the other day that no matter what the event or situation, Mrs May always looks uncomfortable in a Human body.

Maybe it's because of guilt or shame about what she has said and done in order to achieve and hang on to power?

THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM, YOU READ TO MUCH HEARSAY :facepalm:
regards
DR

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“Boris Johnson will be seeking to unite Remainers and Leavers”

:lolol:

WTF.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions