Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Car insurance advice

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Another little tip is to use ComparetheMarket.com and when they send you one of those stupid frickin meerkat toys, stick it on eBay. I've had a nice £20-£30 kickback on those things for the past few years courtesy of the weirdos who collect them and parents who's kids demand them. The 2-for-1 cinemA tickets are a nice bonus too.

Use them every year and renewed yesterday .

my LV car quote was £344 up from £305 last year .

Compare the market came up with £299 with quote me happy and accepted .

Also use CTM for Gas and Electricity , switched to Engie last July on a 2 year fixed rate at £85pm , less then I was paying 10 years ago .:thumbsup:

2 for 1 cinema tickets also handy and the meerkat collection is expanding .

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Dear collective

I have just received my annual bill from Admiral for my car insurance and was SHOCKED to see the price had gone up by a whole 10%. I am a careful driver of many years, and have never claimed in the past. I’m not one to normally go onto price comparison websites, but my shock was such that I did, and was even more SHOCKED to discover I could get the same cover for less than half what I pay now. Have I been taken for a mug all these years, or is it too good to be true? Any (sensible) advice would be gratefully received.

I found Direct Line even cheaper than anything on the comparison sites

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Mine did that too. I rang them to cancel and said that I was going to go with the next cheapest (about a fiver more) as I felt they had been disingenuous and I didn't want to do business with charlatans (I may have laid it on a bit too thick if I'm honest). They offered to go a bit lower than the online quote so I took that, being a shallow, unprincipled individual.

I never tell insurance companies the cheapest quote I've had - instead I tell them that they need to give me THEIR cheapest quote. I used to find if I did tell them my cheapest quote they always managed to beat it by a couple of quid, don't tell them and it's often far cheaper than your cheapest quote.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
I never tell insurance companies the cheapest quote I've had - instead I tell them that they need to give me THEIR cheapest quote. I used to find if I did tell them my cheapest quote they always managed to beat it by a couple of quid, don't tell them and it's often far cheaper than your cheapest quote.

You really are brighter than the brightest star Westdene :laugh:

Geoffbn2

Feb 2, 2014
Dear collective

I have just received my annual bill from Admiral for my car insurance and was SHOCKED to see the price had gone up by a whole 10%. I am a careful driver of many years, and have never claimed in the past. I’m not one to normally go onto price comparison websites, but my shock was such that I did, and was even more SHOCKED to discover I could get the same cover for less than half what I pay now. Have I been taken for a mug all these years, or is it too good to be true? Any (sensible) advice would be gratefully received.

I always compare but don't always change companies, this month my insurance went up but my current Privilege was actually a little less than quotes on comparison sites, Previously i've got quotes and gone back to my current insurer and managed to get them to match or better it to remain with them, 15 / 20 mins on a few comparison sites is always worthwhile for any insurance.

Brighton_Rose

Up the Albion!
Aug 13, 2011
Withdean Brighton
Mine went up recently when I renewed and I was told car insurance has gone up generally this year. This is due to government changes to rules around personal injury and the insurance companies making up for it.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Sorry, the short answer is yes. Every year my insurance renewal will always be more than it currently is. Then I have to go to a price comparison site, get a cheaper quote and then phone up my insurance company (which incidentally is Admiral) who then always offer an even cheaper price and less than my last years insurance. Takes all of 20 minutes generally but is still annoying. But if your insurance isn't cheaper every year, than you're doing it wrong (except when changing your car).
Admiral has a 'sister' company called Bell. When you get your renewal quote from one of them, get a fresh quote from the other and that will be their true quote. They just match it as a matter of course.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Always go on caparison sites. Mine went up considerably so I call them and they said they would price match. I went and did a comparison and what did I find? The same company offering it less, so I called them back and took the cheaper policy.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I remember a few years ago that my insurance shot up on my renewal quote. I went on the comparison websites and put my details in. The new quote was with Axa and about £100 cheaper than my renewal. I rang Axa direct with my new quote details and asked to check if the quote was correct. Yes, they replied. Ok may I take the policy out please, no problem can we have your previous Insurer details to confirm the NCB, yes, Axa I replied! I stayed with them as they were by far the cheapest on the renewal quote. Normally I would have told them to bugger off for being so greedy.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Dear collective

I'm with Admiral, every year I call them and they always do me a good deal. Annoying they don't do it from the get go but a relatively painful experience - just a few minutes on the phone and any increase is removed and I often pay less than last year.

I'm grunching so apologies if better answers have been posted.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
What really gets on my wick with this as having just had my renewal quote with my current provider and it going up at least 10% I did a comparison site search and my current insurer was cheapest at last years prices !!

Rang them and they said oh yes we can match that no problem. So why quote me the extra 10% to start with !!

Robbing barstewards the lot of them. Always shop around

This happened with my house insurance and they were offering the same for 45% less....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here