Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

God Save The Queen

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Elvis Costello, Paul Weller, Ian drury never sold out. Johnny 'Rotten' sold out before he was out of his teens. Talentless tosser.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
40 years since God Save The Queen.
50 years since Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Just ten years between them; seemed like a whole generation - and some - at the time!

1971 was THE year for albums. Not sure The Sex Pistols come anywhere close to matching these albums but as I said I am an old git and thought they were Shit :shrug:

https://www.besteveralbums.com/yearstats.php?y=1971

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
40 years since God Save The Queen.
50 years since Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Just ten years between them; seemed like a whole generation - and some - at the time!

Amazing to think there's only 10 years between those two records.

larus

Of course they won't appeal to everyone, but there's one thing that cannot be disputed and that's the impact they had on the music scene. Yes, other bands may have been more popular, talented and produced more records, but the notoriety of the pistols cannot be underestimated.

So yes, a one album band, but, IMO, a great album.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
40 years ago today.

It hit a chord with me then and it still does today.

It gave me an outlet for my teenage aggression.
Like the Sex pistols or not , they made a difference and gave us something different.
To this day i still find them an obsession.

And i still drive the van that carried Johnny's fish & chips :)

I thought I'd repaste the OP message since the thread has been hijacked ('bought the album' etc). Yes, I agree that this SINGLE had massive impact. Yes, the Damned and Clash already had their albums out by Spring 77, but The Charts were a measure of the national pulse back then, and GSTQ had massive impact. I recall record shops in Brighton not showing the name of the song or band in their chart list. Can you imagine that level of petty censorship today? Not because of the words but because of Fear, and Hatred of the new.

I had been listening to the new music, being an obsessive Peel follower (I was in my first year of uni - in London - Chelsea College) at the time. A few weeks before GSTQ was released I decided to take the plunge. I had already swapped my flares for strait leg Levis months earlier. So I cut off my long hair one evening, with abig pair of scissors. Amazing feeling. (I hut my own hair after that - for the following 15 years, albeit the styles changed).

There was one other person at my college into punk - we had one of those recognition moments one day - we immediately decided to share a flat the following year. Well, by virtue of being students we were automatically middle class (although my background was far from that), but it did not matter in fact (many of the people we encountered over the next 2 years were art school types and even trustafarians, although mixed in with regular downtrodden kids - with a massive amount of bottle). We felt part of a rebellion. Contrary to what some might say, we had no leaders, did not fawn over Lydon etc, but we always smiled at the antagonism.

So this single was exhilarating. I was 9 stone of piss and wind when I was 18, and yet people would shrink away from me when I strolled down the King's Road (both the London and Brighton versoion), with my newfound swagger, just because the Sun and Mirror said 'we' were subversive. Every gig was an event. I spent the summer of 77 back in Brighton, 3-5 gigs a week (Wrist Action, Dandies, Piranhas, Molesters, etc etc). Yes, 40 years ago. Fantastic times for me. Thanks for reminding :salute::wave:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm sure I haven't actually listened to the Buzzcocks album, heard plenty of their singles.

Saw them play The Albert Hall here in Manchester last year. They were magnificent. Steve Diggle still looks classy (but as a former mod that's to be expected), sadly Pete Shelley has put on plenty of lard and now looks like a cross between Tom Jones and Jabba The Hut.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
1971 was THE year for albums. Not sure The Sex Pistols come anywhere close to matching these albums but as I said I am an old git and thought they were Shit :shrug:

https://www.besteveralbums.com/yearstats.php?y=1971

What a great site think I will now lose myself for several days looking at all the years.

I have and play 9 of the top 10 and 20 of the 30 maybe you're right with 1971

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I thought I'd repaste the OP message since the thread has been hijacked ('bought the album' etc). Yes, I agree that this SINGLE had massive impact. Yes, the Damned and Clash already had their albums out by Spring 77, but The Charts were a measure of the national pulse back then, and GSTQ had massive impact. I recall record shops in Brighton not showing the name of the song or band in their chart list. Can you imagine that level of petty censorship today? Not because of the words but because of Fear, and Hatred of the new.

I had been listening to the new music, being an obsessive Peel follower (I was in my first year of uni - in London - Chelsea College) at the time. A few weeks before GSTQ was released I decided to take the plunge. I had already swapped my flares for strait leg Levis months earlier. So I cut off my long hair one evening, with abig pair of scissors. Amazing feeling. (I hut my own hair after that - for the following 15 years, albeit the styles changed).

There was one other person at my college into punk - we had one of those recognition moments one day - we immediately decided to share a flat the following year. Well, by virtue of being students we were automatically middle class (although my background was far from that), but it did not matter in fact (many of the people we encountered over the next 2 years were art school types and even trustafarians, although mixed in with regular downtrodden kids - with a massive amount of bottle). We felt part of a rebellion. Contrary to what some might say, we had no leaders, did not fawn over Lydon etc, but we always smiled at the antagonism.

So this single was exhilarating. I was 9 stone of piss and wind when I was 18, and yet people would shrink away from me when I strolled down the King's Road (both the London and Brighton versoion), with my newfound swagger, just because the Sun and Mirror said 'we' were subversive. Every gig was an event. I spent the summer of 77 back in Brighton, 3-5 gigs a week (Wrist Action, Dandies, Piranhas, Molesters, etc etc). Yes, 40 years ago. Fantastic times for me. Thanks for reminding :salute::wave:

What a great read. thanks for that :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here