Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***Worlds Hardest Creature VIII Group C PLAY OFF***

Who's hardest?

• Total voters

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
As I say, what's the alternative then? Biggest animal wins, simple as that? What a FARCE this competition would be if that was how it worked.

I presume FARCE is in caps because you appreciate that this is indeed a farce. Allowing tiny and relatively tiny creatures to be scaled up is equally a farce in that they would then win any sporting contest (speed, power, reflexes, jumping whatever). The same laws of science that allow them to generate such power relative to size also restrict the size they are able to be. What allowance it is appropriate to make is up to the individual voter, as is their understanding of what constitutes hardness.
Just like in a General Election us commentators can only try and make people aware of the issues and how they may matter, but at the end of the day no matter what reasoned arguments they are presented with many people will vote UKIP because Nigel Farage likes a pint and an Eastern European looked at them funny once, many people will vote for Tabby Cat because they have one for a pet, many will vote for seagull because this is a Brighton forum and many will vote for Tardigrade because they're plain fookin weird.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I presume FARCE is in caps because you appreciate that this is indeed a farce. Allowing tiny and relatively tiny creatures to be scaled up is equally a farce in that they would then win any sporting contest (speed, power, reflexes, jumping whatever). The same laws of science that allow them to generate such power relative to size also restrict the size they are able to be. What allowance it is appropriate to make is up to the individual voter, as is their understanding of what constitutes hardness.
Just like in a General Election us commentators can only try and make people aware of the issues and how they may matter, but at the end of the day no matter what reasoned arguments they are presented with many people will vote UKIP because Nigel Farage likes a pint and an Eastern European looked at them funny once, many people will vote for Tabby Cat because they have one for a pet, many will vote for seagull because this is a Brighton forum and many will vote for Tardigrade because they're plain fookin weird.

I find it hard to argue with the principle of your argument... apart from the fact you still haven't offered any reason why the Seagull is harder than a Hornet (aside from the literal comparison of the mythical hornet).

Even if you don't like the seagull-sized hornet way of looking at it, there's still the comparison of each on their own scale. You can see a video above of 30 hornets taking out 30,000 bees. I don't see any videos of 30 seagulls taking on, and killing, 30,000 sparrows/robins/other bird. I'm pretty damn sure if they did, they'd lose.

The words "pound for pound" were in the rules laid out at the start, and I am absolutely certain that a Japanese Giant Hornet is, pound for pound, harder than a Seagull.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I find it hard to argue with the principle of your argument... apart from the fact you still haven't offered any reason why the Seagull is harder than a Hornet (aside from the literal comparison of the mythical hornet).

Even if you don't like the seagull-sized hornet way of looking at it, there's still the comparison of each on their own scale. You can see a video above of 30 hornets taking out 30,000 bees. I don't see any videos of 30 seagulls taking on, and killing, 30,000 sparrows/robins/other bird. I'm pretty damn sure if they did, they'd lose.

The words "pound for pound" were in the rules laid out at the start, and I am absolutely certain that a Japanese Giant Hornet is, pound for pound, harder than a Seagull.

I'd rather neither of them went through. Seagulls a joke and allowing tiny creatures all the benefits of their miniscule scale with none of the disadvantages would result in a insect winner every year, there is as I say room for interpretation in 'pound for pound'. I'm only voting seagull because I want to see it take on that other joker Tabby Cat. I'm only arguing because it seems important (in as far as WHC can be important) to set some precedents before the later rounds.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What? 30 hornets kill 1,000 bees EACH:

This sting ain't no defence! 30 attack 30,000, and win.

As for those making the ridiculous argument that a Seagull would eat a Hornet - the WHC is POUND FOR POUND*. Compare a seagull with a seagull-sized hornet. It would be over in less than 5 seconds.

#VOTEHORNET

*If it wasn't, surely this would just be the World's Biggest Creature competition, and the whale would win every time? :shrug:

That made the bees look hard to me. They were at an evolutionary disadvantage, but despite their colossal losses, with no weapons, no real defence, they still kept coming, still kept trying to bring the hornets down. That is hard. Getting slaughtered in your thousands and still fighting to the last man standing is hard. #teambee.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Has anyone seen the video of the seagull being knocked out by a cricket ball in a recent game in Oz?

The ****er only gets back up after about a minute before dive bombing the fielders. Double Hard *******.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It seems I made a slight error in my poll options by not selecting an end time. Meaning this poll will never close...which is problematic in terms of the tournament. So, as it was meant to be a 24 hour poll the cut off point will be 24 hours after I originally posted, which will be, by my maths, 3:11pm today.

The score is currently 53-42 in favour of the seagull.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
It seems I made a slight error in my poll options by not selecting an end time. Meaning this poll will never close...which is problematic in terms of the tournament. So, as it was meant to be a 24 hour poll the cut off point will be 24 hours after I originally posted, which will be, by my maths, 3:11pm today.

The score is currently 53-42 in favour of the seagull.

An eternal sysiphean struggle between two worthy competitors. These two will HATE each other after this. I sense a rivalry forming - on the scale of Swindon v Oxford or something like that.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
55-48 to the seagull. The hornet's making a bit of a comeback....will it be enough to overtake the seagull or will the seagull have enough in the locker to hold off the challenge? We'll know in just about two hours time.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Who is voting Hornet here? I bet those pussyols would shit it come face to face with a seagull.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Seagull

You don't see the hornet picking on someone bigger, stronger and larger than they are.

Got to be the seagull as it will have a go at anyone or anything. And it eats CHIPS.

Last edited:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Is eating chips hard? Obviously it's harder than eating fries because then you would be American.
Similarly any hard man would suffer no damage to his rep eating a sausage sandwich, but would find his credentials questioned if caught eating a hot dog.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Is eating chips hard? Obviously it's harder than eating fries because then you would be American.
Similarly any hard man would suffer no damage to his rep eating a sausage sandwich, but would find his credentials questioned if caught eating a hot dog.

Yeah but it trys to ROB your chips. That's hard. I'll fight anyone to the death who trys to nick my bag of chips. Proper chips mind, not those ones at the AMEX.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here