cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
easy come easy go

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Very close call. I Thought I read on the thread that it was a 20 mph road.

At the point of impact, the car appears to travel at approx. 12 - 15 mp/s before slowing (add approx 1.5 - 3.0 mp/s before impact on approach to junction).
If it's a 30 mph limit, he's probably fine. If it's a 20 mph limit, he's almost certainly at fault.

Speed on approach: 34-37 mph

Your final sentence condemns them. Going into the situation too fast.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
It took him 100 ft to stop.

30mph stopping distance is 75 ft

40 mph stopping distance 118 ft

Bearing in mind it took him a 100 ft with the help from 3 cars to help him slow down I would suggest he was doing a lot more than 30mph and he was still accelerating.

Lamborghini Aventador can stop 60-0 in 108ft. Albeit that is probably with all four wheels on the ground!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Lamborghini Aventador can stop 60-0 in 108ft. Albeit that is probably with all four wheels on the ground!

Exactly. Also, the stopping distance is for a driver reacting and braking. In this instance, it would be difficult to tell when he first braked.

Finally, whether he was speeding or not, the fault of the accident is the driver of the Mazda who pulled out into his path.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Exactly. Also, the stopping distance is for a driver reacting and braking. In this instance, it would be difficult to tell when he first braked.

Finally, whether he was speeding or not, the fault of the accident is the driver of the Mazda who pulled out into his path.

I go with this.

Put yourself in a typical everyday situation - driving along at say, 35 mph in a 30 zone. If someone pulls out in front of you without any chance of collision avoidance, would you seriously expect to be held accountable? I don't think so.

Mazda driver should be up on a due care and attention charge plus a visit to spec savers.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
If you go to the first video and stop at 0.38 it takes a look back down the road from where the Lamborghini came from. What is clear that on the opposite side of the road there are parked cars with a bus travelling outside of them, which explains why the Mazda was nudging itself out to begin with - there does not seem to be a clear view until it gets to the middle of the road where by then the Lamborghini is in it's blind spot.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I saw a programme on TV about rich kids racing Ferraris and Lamborghinis around London. I am sure that car featured with plates A4AAA

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Rubbish! If he was speeding he was contributing towards the accident as driving slower would have given him a better chance of seeing Mazda pull out and reacting accordingly.

And his speed should be appropriate to the road conditions (pedestrian crossings/side junctions/parked cars where pedestrians could come out from etc etc) and not just the 30 mph standard. To test the theory I briefly put my foot down to the 30 mph limit in a similar road in London on my way home tonight. Far too fast to be driving safely with all the factors I just mentioned in mind.

Nowhere near as cut and dried as you suggest.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I saw a programme on TV about rich kids racing Ferraris and Lamborghinis around London. I am sure that car featured with plates A4AAA

Interestingly if you watch the first video when it looks back down the street there is another black sports behind. I reckon that is where the bloke who gets the girl out of the car comes from.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Interestingly if you watch the first video when it looks back down the street there is another black sports behind. I reckon that is where the bloke who gets the girl out of the car comes from.

And there is also a short video posted online of the same car a few minutes earlier accelerating hard away from a zebra crossing

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Speed doesn't constitute negligence, not that you can PROVE excessive speed in this instance.

Majority, if not all, the blame on the car pulling out of the side road. Wouldn't like to be their insurer trying to defend this one!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Add to that, the car goes down Sloane Street around Sloane Square then a fair way back up Sloane Street before crash. So very possibly posing/showing off with his girlfriend next to him and mate in another sports car behind. The flooring it from the crossing in first clip really doesn't do him any favours and paints a picture of the mood he was in/way he was driving at time of impact.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Speed doesn't constitute negligence, not that you can PROVE excessive speed in this instance.

We cant do anything except give a lay view. The police/other experts most definitely can.

Would be interested in Edna's view on your statement and the accident in general.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Over 15 years dealing with these types of claims. There is no proof that the Lambo was speeding.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Over 15 years dealing with these types of claims. There is no proof that the Lambo was speeding.

On a completely separate point, but with your insurance expertise in mind, it doesn't seem right (if proved to be completely the Mazda driver's fault) that the Mazda insurer has to cough up for the repair/replacement of such a ridiculously expensive car. Is there (or if not perhaps there should be) a limit to the pay out, and if someone still wants to drive such expensive cars on our roads, then they pay (or get additionally insured) anything over and above that reasonable limit even if not their fault?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Rubbish! If he was speeding he was contributing towards the accident as driving slower would have given him a better chance of seeing Mazda pull out and reacting accordingly.

And his speed should be appropriate to the road conditions (pedestrian crossings/side junctions/parked cars where pedestrians could come out from etc etc) and not just the 30 mph standard. To test the theory I briefly put my foot down to the 30 mph limit in a similar road in London on my way home tonight. Far too fast to be driving safely with all the factors I just mentioned in mind.

Nowhere near as cut and dried as you suggest.

From the insurance perspective, speeding itself doesn't automatically constitute negligence. If he had been doing 30 and someone pulled out in front of him then it is the other drivers fault. If he was doing 31 and someone pulled out then it is still 100% the other drivers fault. That is my experience from having spent over 25 years dealing with insurance claims.

As for the speed of the vehicle, it stops about 5 maybe 6 car lengths past the initial impact, part of that distance being airbourne! Length of an average car maybe 14ft so that makes about 75ft. Just to clarify, it gets sandwiched between the Mazda and what looks like a nissan, goes airbourne and clips the BMW. There are about two car lengths between the Nissan and the BMW and the Lambo comes to a stop with about one car length between it and the end of the BMW. It's not scientific because of the fact that it hit two vehicles which would have slowed it down but that is offset by the fact that stopping distances are not in an accident situation and the driver of the lambo would possible have had a delayed reaction to braking or the jolt of being airbourne may have made his foot leave the brake pedal, we can only speculate.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003

Most accidents are not caught on film like that. I wonder if the police will look at any CCTV evidence from the surrounding streets to judge if the lambo driver was speeding in the minutes leading up to the crash. If nobody was injured I guess not?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Majority, if not all, the blame on the car pulling out of the side road. Wouldn't like to be their insurer trying to defend this one!

Beat me too it. I spent too long typing!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here