Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the voting age be raised?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
With the labour Party getting the kids vote and clearly changing the political map.

Do you feel that at 18 years old have any experience in life to vote in politics?

A lot of these voters could just have been 11 years old when Labour were in power before, should they be allowed to vote???

I was gullible at 18 years old if someone promises you the earth, you believe it, you don't understand how they get the earth to you and probably don't care.

This is not meant to be an attack at the youth but you guys have a long time on this planet and in life you will be learning a lot.

Sounds harsh..................but fair.

Unfortunately being gullible is not restricted to 18-21 year olds. The problem with the party politics system is it is designed to split society between 'us' and 'them' and all parties play to that i.e. vote for me and i will do this for you at the expense of someone else. Time to change and move towards proper consensus politics whereby we stop thinking about short term gain but long term prosperity for all.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
With the labour Party getting the kids vote and clearly changing the political map.

Do you feel that at 18 years old have any experience in life to vote in politics?

A lot of these voters could just have been 11 years old when Labour were in power before, should they be allowed to vote???

I was gullible at 18 years old if someone promises you the earth, you believe it, you don't understand how they get the earth to you and probably don't care.

This is not meant to be an attack at the youth but you guys have a long time on this planet and in life you will be learning a lot.

Sounds harsh..................but fair.
What are your views on youngsters eligible to register to vote but who miss the deadline? I guess you think they should get a free shir.... I mean be able to vote?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
So many youngsters voting for the first time, because so many older people let them down in the referendum, have all now come out to vote for the oldest party leader in the election. Strange that

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Much reasonable and sensible comment there.......

...............and then you spoil it all by spouting this sort of crap.

Ex-teacher so I've seen how politically savvy young people can be.

I'm also a man with grandparents and a man who is willing to talk to people of all ages about their views. Honestly, I'm not saying that all over 65s are only interested in their pension and the NHS, but a large majority are. Understanbly so, no? I mean people generally look after themselves first and foremost. It doesn't even take communication with the older generations to come to such an obvious conclusion - just that such communication confirms such an idea. Or, conversely, look at the £350m propaganda from Brexit and how much that fed into the way in which older generations voted. So no, it isn't crap. It's actually a very logical conclusion if you pay attention enough.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I'm also a man with grandparents and a man who is willing to talk to people of all ages about their views. Honestly, I'm not saying that all over 65s are only interested in their pension and the NHS, but a large majority are. Understanbly so, no? I mean people generally look after themselves first and foremost. It doesn't even take communication with the older generations to come to such an obvious conclusion - just that such communication confirms such an idea. Or, conversely, look at the £350m propaganda from Brexit and how much that fed into the way in which older generations voted. So no, it isn't crap. It's actually a very logical conclusion if you pay attention enough.
As an ex-teacher, you should know better than to indulge in casual stereotyping. Some pensioners may think of nothing but their pension and personal welfare (including the few you have apparently communicated with) but you have no evidence to justify saying it's most of them, any more than people are justified in claiming that all teenagers are politically ignorant.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It's not the voting age that needs to change, it's the first past the post system. Labour getting 30(ish) fewer seats with 5%(ish) lower vote share is just madness.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Typical condescending claptrap from a teacher. No such thing as an ex-teacher - always justify their views by starting with 'I'm a teacher/ex-teacher' so we all know their views should not be questioned. 'Pay attention young man'. Pompous Pr**k.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Ban teachers too. Now we're getting somewhere. So far we have (in no order of preference):-

Young people
Old people
Mothers (milky ones)
Teachers

There must be a few more to add. Who's next?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Great manifesto from Corbyn that appeals to those that want something for nothing, as long as someone else pays for it. The truth is, metaphorically speaking, that in years to come, when borrowing has bankrupted the economy, to pay for these vote catching policies, it will be the youngsters who voted him in who will end up paying the massive tax burden necessary to reduce the deficit. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Last edited:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Yes . Most 18 year odd are clowns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I believe that the vote should be taken away from women again.
We let them have a go and it just had not worked out very well, there is no way of telling if they are short and fat, having a period, pregnant or just in one of those moods, so best to put a stop to it altogether, girl power my arse.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Great manifesto from Corbyn that appeals to those that want something for nothing, as long as someone else pays for it. The truth is, metaphorically speaking, that in years to come, when borrowing has bankrupted the economy, to pay for these vote catching policies, it will be the youngsters who voted him in who will end up paying the massive tax burden necessary to reduce the deficit. There's no such thing as a free lunch.
Crazy isn't it? 40% of this country don't work. No wonder the funding isn't there for any social services.

Something really needs to be done about this.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
If anything there should be a maximum age for voting. This would help balance certain elements of the older generation, who are stuck in their own way of thinking and generally only have their own self interests at heart. The young have spoken, get used to it!

Last edited:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Crazy isn't it? 40% of this country don't work. No wonder the funding isn't there for any social services.

Something really needs to be done about this.

Typical flippant, inconsidered response.

The next vote catching policy - "We recognise that the banking institutions have unfairly profited from dubious lending procedures, in the past, so to remedy this we intend to reimburse all outstanding mortgages. ( small print : we will, however have to borrow to do this)

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
If anything there should be a maximum age for voting. This would help balance certain elements of the older generation, who are stuck in their own way of thinking and generally only have their own self interests at heart. The young have spoken, get used to it!

Just a shame they could not be bothered to get off the backsides to vote in the referendum, if they had I don't think we would be having this conversation now.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Typical flippant, inconsidered response.

The next vote catching policy - "We recognise that the banking institutions have unfairly profited from dubious lending procedures, in the past, so to remedy this we intend to reimburse all outstanding mortgages. ( small print : we will, however have to borrow to do this)
My mistake. Thought you were saying that those that voted labour were those that don't contribute and want something for nothing.

That would demonstrably be a ridiculous thing to say. As would saying that free education would bankrupt the country. What a daft statement that would be.

Glad that wasn't what you were saying.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Not at all have you been on the whacky???

Sad though it may sound, I have not been on the whacky and have never in my 63 years touched the stuff.

Alcohol, yes. Drugs, no.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here