Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London is BIG, very BIG...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The trendy London Bridge area with the Shard, the National Theatre and the Market Porter.

It'll do nicely.

Yep nestled in the marvellous Borough Market, also Southwark is the second oldest area of London after the city and oldest south of the river, first bridge across the Thames, the South Bank, Tower Bridge, quality view to watch the Great Fire of London... I mean, what did the Romans EVER do for us?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I live in Newington Green and I'd like to know the beard to head ratio of dwellers within a 1 mile radius. I am a beardless chap, on my face that is, but I am ruddy surrounded by them everywhere, these beardos.

You'll find them hanging at the trendy areas around Shorebitch of an evening, safe to go out then and see no beardy types.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm confused. I'm assuming this is in terms of population rather than area. It must be.

Here in the Borough of Hillingdon (formerly Middlesex), there is a lot of, what I call the old traditional houses, that are being bought up by property companies for I guess, an extortionate amount of money.
Then these lavish 1, 2 & 3 bedroom apartments, are being built on the vacant land, after the original house has been raised to the ground.
Therefore you are getting more people moving into the 'London area', so I suppose that is part of the population explosion?

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
[pedantry]

The American cities one is cheating. They're not comparing like for like. They've taken the population of the "metropolitan area" of London and compared it with the "city" populations of the US places.

The population of Chicago "city" is about 2.5 million, but the population of Greater Chicago is around 9 million, which is bigger than Greater London.

Etc...

[/pedantry]

Not in my opinion. The American definition of a metropolitan area is incredibly loose and generally encompasses large amounts of non-built up areas. The Chicago metropolitan area covers nearly 11,000 square miles. Greater London is approximately 606. If we were to define Greater London by US methods, it would encompass pretty much all of London and the SE. It's almost as if they are obsessed with size...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Here in the Borough of Hillingdon (formerly Middlesex), there is a lot of, what I call the old traditional houses, that are being bought up by property companies for I guess, an extortionate amount of money.
Then these lavish 1, 2 & 3 bedroom apartments, are being built on the vacant land, after the original house has been raised to the ground.
Therefore you are getting more people moving into the 'London area', so I suppose that is part of the population explosion?

I guess it's also the explosion of immigration in the last fifty years. London must be one of the most cosmopolitan cities on the planet now. Sydney and New York elsewhere. The biggest population growth is probably in the most urban areas.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I guess it's also the explosion of immigration in the last fifty years. London must be one of the most cosmopolitan cities on the planet now. Sydney and New York elsewhere. The biggest population growth is probably in the most urban areas.
From Wikipedia:

The British capital is home to 50 non-indigenous communities which have a population of more than 10,000 (therefore laying claim to being the most diverse city in the world).

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Oh yes! Very true.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Razed

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Yep nestled in the marvellous Borough Market, also Southwark is the second oldest area of London after the city and oldest south of the river, first bridge across the Thames, the South Bank, Tower Bridge, quality view to watch the Great Fire of London... I mean, what did the Romans EVER do for us?

"Londinium was abandoned at the end of the Roman occupation in the early fifth century and both the city and its bridge collapsed in decay."

:D

Feb 14, 2010
Yep, there are more Londoners that Scottish and Welsh people combined, but all you hear on the news is Scottish people complaining that all you hear on the news is about London :facepalm:

Exactly. Just because some ancient gangsters formed a few kingdoms called Scotland, Wales and England, people still think that is what counts rather than the people who live now somewhere. Population wise, the true population will be far more than it actually is disclosed. I made the same point a while back on NSC about how under represented we are in London. People not ancient Kingdoms is what should but doesnt count. Yet.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
and the same with the British cities, e.g. Nottingham has a much bigger population than Brighton (but includes West Bridgford and, er I forget the other wne).
Having lived in Wedt Bridgford field a decade I can confirm that it most definitely is not in Nottingham.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here