Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Anyone taking part in the Mid Sussex 3 day Marathon www.midsussexmarathon.co.uk
10 miles East Grinstead Saturday 3rd May 10 miles Haywards Heath Sunday 4th May Burgess Hill 10 kilometres Monday 5th May
Enter on the day £3 check web- site
You can run one or all three legs if. You feel fit.

Also on the day Mid Sussex mile under 11 years age group 11-14 years age group and Adult beginners.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The 'secret' to improving is to get out of your comfort zone by running at above your target race pace for timed efforts during your training sessions and intersperse these with easy timed recoveries. For example, 6 mins at a pace a bit quicker than your target 5k followed by 3 mins recovery, and repeat 3-4 times.

To this end I tried a Fartlek session yesterday (I love that name)... gave myself a stitch just over half way round my run, but still managed to finish with a sub-7 minute mile average despite having to do a couple of short walking recoveries!

Intervals next week I think, hills the week after.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/441615263 It follows the meandering river rather than the Downs Link. The Downs Link contiues to Horsham and is flat as it used to be the rail line and would be another run option. From what you are saying about being ravaged maybe time off running would be beneficial? Do a month of cross trainig?

Know of any other former rail line routes nearby ? I used to run the old loop lines around Manchester, they were completely flat and perfect for running, not even motorways got in the way!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Been trying to avoid this thread while noticing the weather getting better and better. Ugh. Best get back on it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
An American has managed to do a mile in under 5 minutes in a way Bannister would probably have not.

[video]http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/04/james-nielsen-beer-mile-world-record[/video]

Good idea for a NSC challenge?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
An American has managed to do a mile in under 5 minutes in a way Bannister would probably have not.

[video]http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/04/james-nielsen-beer-mile-world-record[/video]

The ability to down drinks is probably more impressive than his speed round the track.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

That is brilliant. Many thanks for sharing!

So who's up for the beer marathon. I think its around 105 beers!!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Just gone sub-50 mins for 10k @ 49:15 for a PB

Over the moon, Brian :)

I'm supposed to be running the Mersey 10k on Sunday. Haven't run for 25 years, but started jogging about six weeks ago, inspired by this thread (damn you [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION]) and tales from the Brighton marathon. I'm in my 50's, 16 1/2 stone and not an athlete, so my target was 60 minutes, which is rubbish compared to you guys but it's a personal target. Have also entered the Brighton marathon for 2015.

Managed plenty of 6-7k runs around the neighbourhood at an average of 5:49/km, so was quietly hopeful, but struck down with man flu on Sunday, and whilst it's a wussy excuse, haven't been able to do anything since then. Have just forced myself onto the road and snotted my way around 7.5km, but legs and head like lead and averaged 6:15/km, which is depressing.

Wife's trying to persuade me not to run on Sunday due to the way I looked when I returned home this morning, but it feel that if I drop out if this one then it might set a precedent.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thanks EP :)

When I first ran 10k, it was all about finishing

The time was immaterial, as I didn't want to pressurise myself

Do the run, but don't worry about the time :)

PS I'm 52 and 18st 3lb, so you are in comparison, an Adonis :wink:

Great work, SC. Have you another running target in mind? I always find it helpful to have goals. Step up to a half-marathon?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Great work, SC. Have you another running target in mind? I always find it helpful to have goals. Step up to a half-marathon?

Funny you should say that GB, as since coming back from a 19 month injury break, during which I lost 3 stone, I have run 1/2 marathon distance once a week for the last eight weeks

I will probably try to push that to 16 miles next week, as I'm comfortable in mind/body that I can do it

As I said to El Pres, it will be about completing it, rather than the time

My overall goal is the 2015 Brighton Marathon :)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Funny you should say that GB, as since coming back from a 19 month injury break, during which I lost 3 stone, I have run 1/2 marathon distance once a week for the last eight weeks

I will probably try to push that to 16 miles next week, as I'm comfortable in mind/body that I can do it

As I said to El Pres, it will be about completing it, rather than the time

My overall goal is the 2015 Brighton Marathon :)

Good luck :thumbsup:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm supposed to be running the Mersey 10k on Sunday. Haven't run for 25 years, but started jogging about six weeks ago, inspired by this thread (damn you [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION]) and tales from the Brighton marathon. I'm in my 50's, 16 1/2 stone and not an athlete, so my target was 60 minutes, which is rubbish compared to you guys but it's a personal target. Have also entered the Brighton marathon for 2015.

Managed plenty of 6-7k runs around the neighbourhood at an average of 5:49/km, so was quietly hopeful, but struck down with man flu on Sunday, and whilst it's a wussy excuse, haven't been able to do anything since then. Have just forced myself onto the road and snotted my way around 7.5km, but legs and head like lead and averaged 6:15/km, which is depressing.

Wife's trying to persuade me not to run on Sunday due to the way I looked when I returned home this morning, but it feel that if I drop out if this one then it might set a precedent.

Ignore the missis. You wouldn't have wanted to do much training in the week leading up to your 10k anyway, so you certainly won't have lost any fitness that you gained in the previous 6 weeks. If you're still feeling slightly under the weather on Sunday, a can of red bull can give you a nice temporary lift and decongestants may help too.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Ignore the missis. You wouldn't have wanted to do much training in the week leading up to your 10k anyway, so you certainly won't have lost any fitness that you gained in the previous 6 weeks. If you're still feeling slightly under the weather on Sunday, a can of red bull can give you a nice temporary lift and decongestants may help too.

[MENTION=643]nwgull[/MENTION] has hit the nail on the head. You've done the training, the week off has probably helped you.

You'll no doubt surprise yourself on Sunday with your time.

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
Anyone taking part in the Mid Sussex 3 day Marathon www.midsussexmarathon.co.uk
10 miles East Grinstead Saturday 3rd May 10 miles Haywards Heath Sunday 4th May Burgess Hill 10 kilometres Monday 5th May
Enter on the day £3 check web- site
You can run one or all three legs if. You feel fit.

Also on the day Mid Sussex mile under 11 years age group 11-14 years age group and Adult beginners

Running in the relay (3 x 3.33 miles) at HHeath on Sunday with two of my sons, both much quicker than me so hope I don't let the side down:eek:

Barcombe 10k for me on the Monday rather than Burgess Hill but good luck to anyone doing the whole three days.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009

Your wife is talking sense you should give your self time to recover,your times are telling you that you are still not well.Medical opinion constantly says you should not race during or recovering from illness it can prove fatal this is especially relevant considering your age and weight.You are not setting a precedent you are just being sensible.I used to run to a good standard and no one I ran with would consider running in the same situation,why take a risk and cause your wife to worry.

Amsterdam Albion

Mar 11, 2008
I think this is a great thread, lots of good tips and some very fast people! I am signed up (actually I haven't but intend to) for my first half marathon in Belgium, Ypres to Popperinge. My goal is 2 hours and I am following a "My Asics" program. I really like the plan although some jogs seem so slow it's s hard to go that slow. Before I would always try to run as fast as I can. Already I have seen improvements. Has anyone else tried My Asics and if so how have they found it?

Happy running everyone.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here