Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toilets on trains

el punal

I can assure you that the 1752 from West Worthing to Brighton had 4 walk through carriages and no toilets on it. I think it came from Southampton.

You think wrong. I can assure you that the Southampton/Brighton trains do have toilets. It is absolutely essential, for the amount of Guinness and other beverages that I consume on match days, to have a suitable exit strategy - i.e. a bog.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Also no toilets in [MENTION=394]nail-Z[/MENTION]'s car, which was very nearly an issue on the Bristol -> Brighton drive yesterday. I can also report that the Tesco Express in Storrington doesn't have a loo either.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Comedy gold but to be expected when BG starts a thread

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I saw one of the old trains 313 going to Southampton yesterday whilst waiting for the Falmer train.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Also no toilets in [MENTION=394]nail-Z[/MENTION]'s car, which was very nearly an issue on the Bristol -> Brighton drive yesterday. I can also report that the Tesco Express in Storrington doesn't have a loo either.

I can report for future reference that Waitrose in Storrington doesn't either, but the Costa next door does. Open till 18:30 Mon-Sat. Just by the car park off School Hill. Hope this helps.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
You're talking bollocks again bg, unless you mean toilets out of order.

313s are the trains without toilets and they don't go to Southampton

My next door neighbour is a freight train driver based at Eastleigh.
He travelled to Southampton from Angmering on a train with no toilets yesterday.
The OP is telling the truth.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
South-West trains have toilets, but the carriages always seem to smell of wee. I guess it's Southern passengers who get on at Havant and don't realise that the facilities are available.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I saw one of the old trains 313 going to Southampton yesterday whilst waiting for the Falmer train.

Hopefully no-one was slopping out as it passed by.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bit puzzled about this. The 313s were originally built for suburban use, so they didn't have toilets (same as the underground doesn't have them). I don't think the normally work along as far as Southampton, though, although one could have been put to use in an emergency.
The thing that puzzles me is that 313s normally have three coaches, not four. So, were there toilets that just weren't spotted, or was there a problem counting the coaches?

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I went to High Wycombe from Marylebone a few weeks ago. It was a olde style slam door train with a locomotive on front. It made the old southern box on wheels 313's look state of art. I thought slam doors were finished years ago? The carriages were 1960's vintage and the bogs reflected that. I wish that train hadn't had a toilet. :sick:

albionite

May 20, 2009
The difference being the distance between stations and frequency of trains if a need arose.

Well you said you travelled from Worthing which has roughly 9 stops between there and Brighton and is around a 20 min journey.

How many stops do you need? Would you make such a fuss if you went by bus instead.

Maybe next time ask someone if they would show you where the toilets are.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I went to High Wycombe from Marylebone a few weeks ago. It was a olde style slam door train with a locomotive on front. It made the old southern box on wheels 313's look state of art. I thought slam doors were finished years ago? The carriages were 1960's vintage and the bogs reflected that. I wish that train hadn't had a toilet. :sick:

Could you stick your bonce out the window?

Good job the old trains with ventilation were used on Tuesday night. Otherwise, there could have been a medical incident with the carriages rammed full and lack of air.

I must be getting used to the poor service as the late and missing trains and crowds just caused me to be a bit subdued rather than upset and angry.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well you said you travelled from Worthing which has roughly 9 stops between there and Brighton and is around a 20 min journey.

How many stops do you need? Would you make such a fuss if you went by bus instead.

Maybe next time ask someone if they would show you where the toilets are.

I did that journey but some people would have travelled from Southampton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here