Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] First Ashes Test Australia vs England Brisbane 23rd-27th November

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
England have shaded the day and I expect they'll take confidence from it.

Having all 3 Ashes batting debutants have success on Day 1 is huge for the squad. We know Cook and Root will come good in the series, so to have Stoneman, Vince and Malan looking the part now is so important.

Of course, the good work could be undone if we are blown away with the new ball tomorrow morning. I don't expect too many runs in that first session but if we can get to lunch at, say, 260-5 and the ball 30 overs old then we'll be in a strong position to kick on towards 375-400.

Piss poor highlights on BT Sport. They've been shouting about having the highlights for free and it turns out about 8 minutes. How can you reduce a whole days play down to 8 minutes?

Channel 5 used to have an hour's highlights when the cricket was in England when a lot of people would have watched some or all of the day's cricket live. Now most people are sleeping we get 8 minutes.

They may as well not bother, I can't see me watching again.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
Piss poor highlights on BT Sport. They've been shouting about having the highlights for free and it turns out about 8 minutes. How can you reduce a whole days play down to 8 minutes?

Channel 5 used to have an hour's highlights when the cricket was in England when a lot of people would have watched some or all of the day's cricket live. Now most people are sleeping we get 8 minutes.

They may as well not bother, I can't see me watching again.

I used the free BT Sports App to watch on iPad to find it's SD not HD - and the 8 minutes includes comments by the pundits, so no more for me

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
After the promise of a display of quick Aussie bowling ending English batters careers was it all just bravado or has the groundsman just produced a slow and low wicket. I know Brisbane has had a bit of rain but the wicket was far from a traditional fast and bouncy track.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
After the promise of a display of quick Aussie bowling ending English batters careers was it all just bravado or has the groundsman just produced a slow and low wicket. I know Brisbane has had a bit of rain but the wicket was far from a traditional fast and bouncy track.

Should harden up over the next couple of days once the surface has been played through. You'll notice the difference.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Are we all in place ready for the off ?.... have done most of a bottle of red in anticipation....very well balanced match at the mo.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oooooh - I didn't know it was an 11:30 start. I was going to head to bed before I got drawn into another late night.

I suppose I could just watch the start...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
200 up!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
3 boundaries in 11 balls, this bodes well.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'd like to see them nudging and nurdling a bit to get that scoreboard rolling

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
OK, so will take 4 an over

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree with Sir Geoffrey, the ball isn't doing anything, both batsmen look comfortable. If Smith switches to the spinner with the new ball only 8 overs old that's a moral victory for England.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Are we going to bore the Aussies to death this time around ? we could bat for 3 days here to make 400.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
More runs in the first 10 minutes than the following 40 :(

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ye....just a couple of overs....maybe a couple more and so on

I was going to catch the first few overs. Then the first hour. Then maybe till lunch....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here