Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Girls not girls & boys not boys! Gender neutrality !

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I would support them 100% in whatever they want to do. I can absolutely guarantee though, that I wouldn’t complain to my kids school (6 weeks after the incident) that the teacher said ‘well done girls’ to a group of girls which included my daughter who now ‘identifies as a boy’. That is plain nuts in anyone’s book Shirley?!

I'm sure you would

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I wonder what some of the posters would think if one of their children (if they had any) decided that they would like to for example, it was a boy who then wanted to dress as a girl...just maybe they might see things differently and actually not be quite so damming..and they just might have to pause for thought

Understood the difficulty it may create, but that isn't what the current agenda is about, it is about ALL children being considered gender neutral - surely that can't be right if it is just about how it may affect a small minority who have mixed and confused feelings about their gender.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think most of the debate around gender centres around the pre-conceived notions of what boys and girls should be. Girls especially are pigeonholed at such an early age and it greatly effects their self-confidence and their early life aspirations and ambitions. Oh the flip side young boys struggle with dealing with their emotions.

it may have started there, or there is a valid discussion about boy/girl roles and activities, the effects they have on their life. but there's another stream, one that starts with boys/men and girls/women "chosing" a gender, and then leads to some changing their physical attributes. then everyone has to accept their new image and accomodate it within binary gender world.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Understood the difficulty it may create, but that isn't what the current agenda is about, it is about ALL children being considered gender neutral - surely that can't be right if it is just about how it may affect a small minority who have mixed and confused feelings about their gender.

Yep...I see where you are coming from and its a serious point you make.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
I think most of the debate around gender centres around the pre-conceived notions of what boys and girls should be. Girls especially are pigeonholed at such an early age and it greatly effects their self-confidence and their early life aspirations and ambitions. Oh the flip side young boys struggle with dealing with their emotions.

midnight_rendevous has got it spot on with his post! Seems like all the other posts on this topic focusing on the small extremes when the arguments should be how do make sure that woman aren't held back by customs and can reach their full potential and what ever they may wish to aspire to!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
My understanding of the term "gender neutral" isn't anything to do with gender identity or assigned sex - although personally I can't see why anyone would be anything other than supportive of transgender people.

It's about, particularly for children, removing expectations and norms based on their gender - either refraining from toys, activities, clothes that pigeonhole them from an early age, or by making sure that they are also exposed to the non-stereotypical e.g.'s of the above. Why can't a girl like dinosaurs and space? Why can't boys be interested in caring for young children? I'm sure enough lads will still grow up to find their main hobby is fighting people from another town every Saturday, if that's what you're worried about.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
How people address is a received structure anyway.

I remember a chap who started at our work place a while back who wore high heels and ladies blouse. I was reprimanded by a colleague who didn't like my being critical of this.

I pointed out that my derision had nothing to do with an 'alternative' style of dress but how his heels did not go with the blouse. I felt a satin number would have been more fitting.

"In Brighton you won't get judged for dressing as you please...", I explained. "..but you will get judged for poor dress sense"

I have no problem with people wearing what they want. It's their right to be comfortable. In the same vein I do have a problem with gender conditioning.

I was sometimes bullied by boys and girls at school because I was seen as being weak and other worldly. Nothing compared to what some affected by issues discussed in this thread are though.

If society questioned its inherited conditioning a little more this wouldn't be an issue.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Here’s a handy guide of what to call who when, just in case you get stuck......

Gender Neutral / Gender Inclusive Pronouns

A gender neutral or gender inclusive pronoun is a pronoun which does not associate a gender with the individual who is being discussed.

Some languages, such as English, do not have a gender neutral or third gender pronoun available, and this has been criticized, since in many instances, writers, speakers, etc. use “he/his” when referring to a generic individual in the third person. Also, the dichotomy of “he and she” in English does not leave room for other gender identities, which is a source of frustration to the transgender and gender queer communities.

People who are limited by languages which do not include gender neutral pronouns have attempted to create them, in the interest of greater equality.
Yes we do - we have them or they which can be used for singular people when necessary. The French might have a problem - everything there has to be masculine or feminine. In French, tables are blokes; chairs are birds. Mental.
Wonder what they put in front of their word for a transsexual - le or la?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
midnight_rendevous has got it spot on with his post! Seems like all the other posts on this topic focusing on the small extremes when the arguments should be how do make sure that woman aren't held back by customs and can reach their full potential and what ever they may wish to aspire to!

Yes, but with this current madness of gender being a life-style choice, surely all they need to do is identify themselves as blokes. Problem solved - they can then start bullying everybody else (isn't that what we blokes are alleged to be doing?)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Just watch this & you’ll never have to argue the point ever again.....!

I don’t agree with this guy on some other topics he talks about but on this, he’s spot on in my opinion. Biologically - men are men & women are women. The fact that a teacher has been suspended for being told to ignore that fact & call a girl a boy, is chuffing staggering. I wish all the best to anyone struggling with this issue (& I disagree it’s a mental condition, I do think you can be uncomfortable in your own body, in the same way that people have plastic surgery aren’t necessarily mentally ill). I just can’t believe other people can be sued/suspended etc for not following the biologically impossible!

And breathe....

https://youtu.be/NdDjS6kiTlA

Ben Shapiro is the articulate upgrade of Katie Hopkins.

This is a man that even Jeffrey Goldberg described as a fascist.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Erm..when has someone being told off for calling a boy a boy or a girl a girl?

A colleague of my wife is a lesbian and she loves it when I call her a girly whirly ......it's all a bit silly to be honest

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
"For all of human history - boy meant boy and girl meant girl".

Wrong. He clearly has no concept of the history of the meaning of those two words. And from there, it's fairly obvious he isn't dealing with research or history or even the flawed notion of binary biology, he's dealing with his own agenda.

As are you perhaps?

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
Yes, but with this current madness of gender being a life-style choice, surely all they need to do is identify themselves as blokes. Problem solved - they can then start bullying everybody else (isn't that what we blokes are alleged to be doing?)

"Alleged" well I think you are treading on thin ice there. The majority of men don't but there is lots of evidence to suggest that a substantial minority do!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here