Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] “The fight has gone out of Brighton”

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
A couple of games ago we returned from Old Trafford full of pride two games later we are full of gloom. Liverpool were just by far the better side as were Huddersfield yesterday. Just a couple of observations CH got the selection wrong yesterday you could argue he could have made changes during the first half but I got the feeling he would have been happy with one nil at half time,
when Ryan let in the second it was too late to save the game as Huddersfield were just full of confidence.
Second, the ball just keeps on coming back, Murray isn't a miracle worker and needs the ball passed to him and not just lumped in his general direction and when he does get the ball he has no support as we play too deep.
We need a bit more positivity in our play we can't just rely on a bank of four and a bank of five soaking up relentless pressure. It is hard to watch especially without two wingers as we saw yesterday.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Perhaps we just aren’t good enough? The players might not be up to the Premier League.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Perhaps we just aren’t good enough? The players might not be up to the Premier League.

This is one reason. We just don't have the clout of the big spenders and are punching well above our weight. This was ALWAYS going to happen at some point.

Positive note: We have an opportunity to strengthen in Jan. had we started the season like this we would be well adrift now and never be able to get our head above water.

I think if we don't buy, the trap door is well and truly WIDE OPEN.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
The class of opposition yesterday we should have been set up for. Before the game I was already thinking what the f'uck? But I obviously hoped I was wrong. CH said he set up basically for a draw post match which is very, very disappointing. We had nothing on the wings to set Murray up. We went with the mindset of damage limitation against Huddersfield! We need to lose that mindset very, very quickly. Baldock on the bench, and Kayal, means they're fit to play, play them! This was our worst performance this season, I believe, so hopefully it can only get better, but I don't expect much from Wednesday.

Maybe in class but certainly not style. I think CH is still smarting from our battering there last season. We were never going to get anything from yesterday. More chance of points at Old Trafford, which coincidently nearly happened.

We could replay yesterday’s game 100 times and lose 100 of them - we just have no answer to the high pressure game. Fortunately not all teams play that. We could play United 100 times and win 20 of them.

There is hope and optimism but must look elsewhere and the longer term this season. Greatest potential of points from Watford at home through to end of February. Most of the fixtures before that, personally, I’d write off. Hopefully we’ll make it through that period without people snipping their season tickets in half, rioting / leaving even earlier and sacking our manager.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
[MENTION=12553]Don Quixote[/MENTION]

Yep. Ryan and Gross aside it's difficult to argue with that.

My bro, a lifelong Man Utd supporter, said yesterday - how can you expect to stay up when you've spent virtually no money?!? 12 million is literally nothing these days and Gross nothing short of a miracle find.

Different perceptions obviously BUT we surely all knew we had a very strong Championship squad and conversely a very average-poor PL squad. The two above aside, I don't think that's changed one iota.

Togetherness, work and application and blind luck will only get you so far.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
If you're fatigued and tired I'm sure it doesn't matter how much money you're making. If you're knackered you're knackered.

boik

This tired argument absolutely grips my shit.

I work 45-50 hours a week, spend an additional 6 hours on top of that in the car commuting, and probably another 5 hours on top of that working from home. Not to mention running a household and all of the associated work that comes with that.

I can still manage (as 3000 others did) to turn up in good voice at Huddersfield on a freezing cold Saturday afternoon in December.

These players train 2 hours a day, 5 times a week, invariably with just one 90 minute game of football at the end of it.

Earning in excess of £20,000 a week for the privilege, I don’t think it’s asking too much for them to turn up and apply a little bit of endeavour and application.

Fatigue is nothing more than a kop out to mask what was at best an abject and gutless performance yesterday.

That's such a cheap argument. No-one is suggesting they can't manage to play a couple of 90 minute matches in a week. There's a huge difference between being able to play and being able to play at 100% absolute best of your ability. We've all worked flat out at times during our lives, but anyone who thinks they don't make more mistakes after an intense period of working flat out is in denial. And money certainly doesn't make you any less tired or better able to recover.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Professional footballers shouldn't get knackered ffs

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
We are not going to be cut adrift at the bottom before Jan which is what many feared - strengthen and don’t sell and we go into the second half of season with a good chance of survival.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why are people saying the only success amongst our signings has been Gross and Ryan what about Propper he is growing in every game other than yesterday when they all played badly from the manager down.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
[MENTION=12553]Don Quixote[/MENTION]

Yep. Ryan and Gross aside it's difficult to argue with that.

My bro, a lifelong Man Utd supporter, said yesterday - how can you expect to stay up when you've spent virtually no money?!? 12 million is literally nothing these days and Gross nothing short of a miracle find.

Different perceptions obviously BUT we surely all knew we had a very strong Championship squad and conversely a very average-poor PL squad. The two above aside, I don't think that's changed one iota.

Togetherness, work and application and blind luck will only get you so far.

I don’t think that’s true. I’m sure I saw an article that mentioned us being one of the biggest net spenders. [MENTION=17545]Arkwright[/MENTION] makes a good point above about the long balls to Murray. This was the first time this season that I have seen this tactic and it seemed to be a consequence of not playing wingers. Ryan, Dunk and Duffy had only one option which was to hoof it. They can’t be blamed for the team being so unbalanced.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I don’t think that’s true. I’m sure I saw an article that mentioned us being one of the biggest net spenders. [MENTION=17545]Arkwright[/MENTION] makes a good point above about the long balls to Murray. This was the first time this season that I have seen this tactic and it seemed to be a consequence of not playing wingers. Ryan, Dunk and Duffy had only one option which was to hoof it. They can’t be blamed for the team being so unbalanced.

I'm not saying we didn't spend, but clearly we didn't spend enough in the key forward area. Had the deal for the Swiss Ghanaian gone through I suspect we would have been one of the big spenders, but as I look at it: Suttner, the greyhound, and the Colombian have thus far contributed very little even given their respective disparate fees.

But in terms of yesterday and indeed against Liverpool, Hughton has to hold his hands up and say he got it badly wrong.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm not saying we didn't spend, but clearly we didn't spend enough in the key forward area. Had the deal for the Swiss Ghanaian gone through I suspect we would have been one of the big spenders, but as I look at it: Suttner, the greyhound, and the Colombian have thus far contributed very little even given their respective fees.

But in terms of yesterday and indeed against Liverpool, Hughton has to hold his hands up and say he got it badly wrong.

He should but he wont as he is the boss so it his way or not, which is probably correct. This is shown by the reluctance to leave a quick man on the half way line for set pieces as it is not his way.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That's such a cheap argument. No-one is suggesting they can't manage to play a couple of 90 minute matches in a week. There's a huge difference between being able to play and being able to play at 100% absolute best of your ability. We've all worked flat out at times during our lives, but anyone who thinks they don't make more mistakes after an intense period of working flat out is in denial. And money certainly doesn't make you any less tired or better able to recover.

Indeed, and at this level of football a minor mistake, slip or misunderstanding can lead to be punished instantly with a goal. Almost all of our rivals have bigger and better squads too.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
According to the MOTD commentator. Has it?

My view is that key players are knackered. We have been playing at a high tempo and you can only do that for so long without it catching up. It’s exposing the lack of strength in depth sadly.

Where are you coming from? So non of the other teams have not been playing high tempo, we are in for a big shock when they do.
They are professional footballers and will turn this bad spell around.
How you can quote that crap, I don't know.
As for the rest of you doom mongers, stop your whinging and get behind the team
We have been in worse positions than this before, and survived.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
He should but he wont as he is the boss so it his way or not, which is probably correct. This is shown by the reluctance to leave a quick man on the half way line for set pieces as it is not his way.

It's starting to look like it's not going to work at this level, we're getting pinned back way too much and are unable to dictate play as oft was our want in the Championship. I sincerely feel for Chris, but we need to setup slightly differently and not so morbidly defensively as we are doing. 15-20 mins concede, get to halftime and then "give it a good go" open up, get picked off and concede again...

Too negative, but the players are not quite up to it... can Chris make us consistent enough in this league with this squad? it's beginning to look a tiny bit doubtful tbh.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I'm not saying we didn't spend, but clearly we didn't spend enough in the key forward area. Had the deal for the Swiss Ghanaian gone through I suspect we would have been one of the big spenders, but as I look at it: Suttner, the greyhound, and the Colombian have thus far contributed very little even given their respective disparate fees.

Ah I see, yes we certainly didn’t pay up for a forward. As relegation favourites we just weren’t an attractive enough proposition for anyone good enough to make a difference. My hope is that we can carry our early season success based on tight defence and pace on the wings into January and attract a quality forward. Let’s hope yesterday was a blip.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here