Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knockaert

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Being highly strung doesn’t excuse his behaviour. Hughton stated in the Lineker interview he explains every decision in person to every player. That’s pretty decent. Knochaert can disagree and maybe feel unfairly treated but throwing a strop isn’t the way to respond. His reaction yesterday was woeful and unprofessional. Two attempts to foul the same player first a push and then a chase and a rugby tackle. Selfishness when on the break. And then seemingly leaving the pitch in a rage. If you want to prove the manager wrong, which I hope he does, that carry on really isn’t the way to do it. If a colleague of yours or mine acted like this we’d rightly thing they’re a prick. Knocky should not be any different. And this is pattern, not a one off.

How does that have any relevance to the point you're trying to make?

The only problem I saw in that, was that he didn't bring him down completely. That breakaway was worth a yellow card to stifle and he took the hit for the team. ****ing football purists.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How does that have any relevance to the point you're trying to make?

The only problem I saw in that, was that he didn't bring him down completely. That breakaway was worth a yellow card to stifle and he took the hit for the team. ****ing football purists.

Took a hit for the team? Had the fouls been in threatening areas maybe, but if memory serves me right the first shove happened in our own half and the rugby tackle was a little into their half. The opponent was no threat and had plenty to do, and much distance to cover before he even might have been. And with the benefit of hindsight it didn’t result in a serious goal threat....but it did result in a yellow for Knocky. Whichever way I look at this it was the wrong decision.....and not the last of his wrong decisions either.

That said, it’s Hughton he needs to impress, not me.....I wonder if he did?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Took a hit for the team? Had the fouls been in threatening areas maybe, but if memory serves me right the first shove happened in our own half and the rugby tackle was a little into their half. The opponent was no threat and had plenty to do, and much distance to cover before he even might have been. And with the benefit of hindsight it didn’t result in a serious goal threat....but it did result in a yellow for Knocky. Whichever way I look at this it was the wrong decision.....and not the last of his wrong decisions either.

It happened with a quick turnover of possession, where our players were pushed up, some out of position and he was beaten in no-mans land. It was a dangerous looking run and breakaway, and I was imploring him to take the player out from the stands. So yes, took a hit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It happened with a quick turnover of possession, where our players were pushed up, some out of position and he was beaten in no-mans land. It was a dangerous looking run and breakaway, and I was imploring him to take the player out from the stands. So yes, took a hit.

I have just looked up the highlights, and I think you need to as well, because your version of events was not the case. At the time of the first push, inside our own half, there were two rows of three Albion players, one level and one behind the ball, as well as Knockeart against 2, possibly three, advancing opponents. 7 against 3.It was clearly not in no-man’s land, and nor was it dangerous in my opinion. And it’s debatable if that many players level or behind the balls is a breakaway.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands

Agreed - may have looked a silly thing to do but they were breaking dangerously and as far as I'm concerned he took one for the team.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

That said, it’s Hughton he needs to impress, not me.....I wonder if he did?

Umm..in our half

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Harsh - he’s been fantastic this season.

Yup and actually his technical ability to keep the ball would have come in handy against the Wolves craftsmen. It's very close between him and AJ. I suspect we will have the same disagreements when Gross is fit because Solly March has really kicked on this season

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agreed - may have looked a silly thing to do but they were breaking dangerously and as far as I'm concerned he took one for the team.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree as 2/3 against 7 isn’t a dangerous break in my mind.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yup and actually his technical ability to keep the ball would have come in handy against the Wolves craftsmen. It's very close between him and AJ. I suspect we will have the same disagreements when Gross is fit because Solly March has really kicked on this season

But looked totally lost in the No 10 role not knowing what to do and where to be. IMHO Gross will come straight back in and the big debate will be Propper or Kayal and who to play wide right out of March. Knockaert and Janhakanbahsh.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I agree with Bens grandad, Kayal has been very good, Propper isn't guaranteed an immediate comeback, neither Stephens a starting place.

Gross is far better creating and actually successfully completing passes than March will ever be, Gross can cross better than March ever will, Without him it's very noticeable how 'headless chicken' our wingers are.

Gross is also the best dead ball kicker in the squad.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
He’s annoyed that apart from the Ryan & Izquierdo we’re still playing the championship line up , and he’s missing out after being Championship player of the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well perhaps but who here didn't think it was a bit harsh for him to be dropped in the first place?!

Oh. I agree with this. He was in the PL form of his life for the first eight games this season.
I'm not one for criticising Hughton, but something similar happened last season with March, who started well and couldn't seem to recover from being dropped for Izquierdo (who took a while to get up-and-running, despite his early impact at West Ham away). But the players are going to have to get used to it. We've got strong competition in the wide areas. Very strong.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I want to know too. Where's Montoya?

He's Injured......

Eh?
[MENTION=20464]jamie the seagull[/MENTION] - Chris Hughton was quoted in the Argus the day before the Newcastle game, specifically with regard to Bruno coming back in for Montoya against West Ham, as saying "It was just selection. I have at the moment competition in all areas."

Are you talking bollocks, or are you actually accusing Hughton of lying? :shrug:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I agree with Bens grandad, Kayal has been very good, Propper isn't guaranteed an immediate comeback, neither Stephens a starting place.

Gross is far better creating and actually successfully completing passes than March will ever be, Gross can cross better than March ever will, Without him it's very noticeable how 'headless chicken' our wingers are.

Gross is also the best dead ball kicker in the squad.

I'd expect Propper to ease back in when fit, with Dale the most likely to step down. We've missed Propper's ability to get us from defence to attack with a smart pass. Part of the reason we're struggling to get forward at the moment

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Oh. I agree with this. He was in the PL form of his life for the first eight games this season.
I'm not one for criticising Hughton, but something similar happened last season with March, who started well and couldn't seem to recover from being dropped for Izquierdo (who took a while to get up-and-running, despite his early impact at West Ham away). But the players are going to have to get used to it. We've got strong competition in the wide areas. Very strong.

Well, within reason. Knocky did look better at the start of this season but the old same old failings were still there. Overplaying in dangerous areas ( edge of the box v Watford, lost the ball, goal against ) Passing straight to the opposition under no pressure ( on one of our rare forays upfield v Man City, passed straight to them without looking, goal against )

Its not that these are occasional lapses, he does them regularly. As fans, rightly or wrongly, we forgive him these lapses because he has credit in the bank. The PL is an unforgiving arena and is all about quick, accurate football, executed to a high level and Knocky is a calculated liability the way he plays. He doesn't have to be. If he could only introduce more simplicity and accuracy into his play, he would start every week but he is still playing as if he is in the Championship. Occasional moments of brilliance, lots of misplaced passing, caught in possession and the majority of his crosses and deadballs misdirected.

CH is playing AJ at present because he holds the ball better and defends better. March and Knockaert are both too wasteful but Solly is getting the nod at the moment as his delivery is slightly better ( and thats not saying much!! ) A pinpoint corner v Wolves that Duffy should have converted and an assist in the goal. Knocky's brief performance will have done nothing to persuade CH that he deserves a starting place.

( Oh......and Izquierdo must start every game....with the other three rotated to suit fixture )

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Well, within reason. Knocky did look better at the start of this season but the old same old failings were still there. Overplaying in dangerous areas ( edge of the box v Watford, lost the ball, goal against ) Passing straight to the opposition under no pressure ( on one of our rare forays upfield v Man City, passed straight to them without looking, goal against ) Its not that these are occasional lapses, he does them regularly. As fans, rightly or wrongly, we forgive him these lapses because he has credit in the bank. The PL is an unforgiving arena and is all about quick, accurate football, executed to a high level and Knocky is a calculated liability the way he plays. He doesn't have to be. If he could only introduce more simplicity and accuracy into his play, he would start every week but he is still playing as if he is in the Championship. Occasional moments of brilliance, lots of misplaced passing, caught in possession and the majority of his crosses and deadballs misdirected.
CH is playing AJ at present because he holds the ball better and defends better. March and Knockaert are both too wasteful but Solly is getting the nod at the moment as his delivery is slightly better ( and thats not saying much!! ) A pinpoint corner v Wolves that Duffy should have converted and an assist in the goal. Knocky's brief performance will have done nothing to persuade CH that he deserves a starting place.
( Oh......and Izquierdo must start every game....with the other three rotated to suit fixture )
Very good summary of Knocky situation. Because of his heroics in the Championship people just sometimes view his efforts with rose tinted specs.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well, within reason. Knocky did look better at the start of this season but the old same old failings were still there. Overplaying in dangerous areas ( edge of the box v Watford, lost the ball, goal against ) Passing straight to the opposition under no pressure ( on one of our rare forays upfield v Man City, passed straight to them without looking, goal against ) Its not that these are occasional lapses, he does them regularly. As fans, rightly or wrongly, we forgive him these lapses because he has credit in the bank. The PL is an unforgiving arena and is all about quick, accurate football, executed to a high level and Knocky is a calculated liability the way he plays. He doesn't have to be. If he could only introduce more simplicity and accuracy into his play, he would start every week but he is still playing as if he is in the Championship. Occasional moments of brilliance, lots of misplaced passing, caught in possession and the majority of his crosses and deadballs misdirected.

Nailed it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here