Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England v Spain

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
To pair a lightweight like Alli in midfield with another little boy like Lingard is a joke. If that’s two of your three in midfield you’ll never beat a decent team. Lingard has more to his game than Alli and I wouldn’t write him off but he shares some of the same weaknesses.

I think I wrote something similar on here during the World Cup. I found/find it difficult that any side could include so many not-a-striker-but-also-not-a-midfielder types as Alli, Lingard and Sterling.

Maybe it's not actually possible against a side of any real quality.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Still love watching Spain, they are miles ahead of us. Their midfield is a joy, Thiago is in a different league to any of our midfielders and Isco is a genius.

If there was a combined Spain/England 11 as was being spoken about before the match, I think we might get 2 players in there (Trippier/Walker and Stones) but that would be about it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The law is ridiculous I know. That's why there is so many fouls given on keepers

its school rules: doesnt matter what actually happened, teacher sees pupil on the floor, something must have happend and the other pupil did it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No VAR?

What a joke.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Still love watching Spain, they are miles ahead of us. Their midfield is a joy, Thiago is in a different league to any of our midfielders and Isco is a genius.

If there was a combined Spain/England 11 as was being spoken about before the match, I think we might get 2 players in there (Trippier/Walker and Stones) but that would be about it.

Three months ago everyone would've included Kane. Not now.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
England look as bad as they did in the World Cup, we only played well in one game (Sweden). I’m not counting panama as they are a dreadful side.

Defense looks ropey due to the terrible centre midfield options of dier, Henderson, lingard, alli. Kane also needs a couple week rest. However we don’t have any other centre mid or striker options. It’s not looking good at all for the euros, might as well start playing some of the younger ones like sancho and Maddison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpongebobSquarepants

Jun 16, 2006
Sunny Worthing
The substitutions were a joke. Bringing on Dier for Henderson is just completely pointless and a waste of a sub.
Then Rashford who was the only one who looked like scoring is taken off rather than one of the FIVE defenders?
Clueless

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Southgate's only unpredictable decison across the middle was not to wear a waistcoat.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Three months ago everyone would've included Kane. Not now.

I believe his record against us is similar to Sheringhams, not very good, here’s hoping he doesn’t rediscover his form when we play Spurs.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's a foul unfortunately according to the laws :ffsparr:

"IFAB's Law on indirect free kick offences says that:

[a] goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when:

the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms except if the ball rebounds accidentally from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save

In the situation described in the question, the goalkeeper is deemed to be in control of the ball.

The attacker would be committing a foul, since according to the same Law,

[a] goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of the ball with the hands."
No, because the goalkeeper wasn't challenged by an opponent. The opponent stood there, and the keeper fell on him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They are suggesting it was foul by Welbeck on the No 5 in the build up.
The commentators were guessing what it could be, as it didn't make sense. He hadn't fouler the defender either.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The substitutions were a joke. Th
Then Rashford who was the only one who looked like scoring is taken off rather than one of the FIVE defenders?
Clueless
That was the only one that worked as Henderson wasnt getting the passes made like he usually does and when Dier came on he started finding the wings with his passes and we looked a lot better. The other was too little too late.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The commentators were guessing what it could be, as it didn't make sense. He hadn't fouler the defender either.

Maybe it's because he elbowed him in the nuts??

Capture.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here