The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Local paper suggesting a choice from four:

Silva, if they can tempt him.
Hughes, for the shouty, shouty option.
Slavisa Jokanovic, if there were any chance of prising him from Fulham
Graham Potter, ex-Saints player, performing miracles at Ostersunds.

They should go for Potter, who must be the best talent there, but they'll probably bottle it and go for Hughes.
#Merry-Go-Round

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Local paper suggesting a choice from four:

Silva, if they can tempt him.
Hughes, for the shouty, shouty option.
Slavisa Jokanovic, if there were any chance of prising him from Fulham
Graham Potter, ex-Saints player, performing miracles at Ostersunds.

They should go for Potter, who must be the best talent there, but they'll probably bottle it and go for Hughes.
#Merry-Go-Round

Potter is a good call, just wonder whether the ‘unproven at this level’ may work against him, though arguably some of their other appointments have been in the same position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Here's the 'bounce' table taken from the BBC's article - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43365136

Manager Games Points per game Position in table

Frank de Boer (Crystal Palace) 4 0 19 (when sacked)
Roy Hodgson (Crystal Palace) 26 1.04 18 (now)
Ronald Koeman (Everton) 9 0.89 18 (when sacked)
Sam Allardyce (Everton) 16 1.38 9 (now)
Craig Shakespeare (Leicester) 8 0.75 18 (when sacked)
Claude Puel (Leicester) 21 1.48 8 (now)
Mark Hughes (Stoke) 22 0.91 16 (when sacked)
Paul Lambert (Stoke) 6 1.17 19 (now)
Paul Clement (Swansea) 18 0.67 20 (when sacked)
Carlos Carvalhal (Swansea) 10 1.8 14 (now)
Marco Silva (Watford) 24 1.08 10 (when sacked)
Javier Gracia (Watford) 6 1.67 10 (now)
Tony Pulis (West Brom) 12 0.83 17 (when sacked)
Alan Pardew (West Brom) 15 0.5 20 (now)
Slaven Bilic (West Ham) 11 0.82 17 (when sacked)
David Moyes (West Ham) 19 1.11 16 (now)

It's as much as one might expect with most teams doing better than before, a few significantly so such as Swansea and Leicester.

As for West Brom who were out of the relegation zone when they sacked Pulis, it's been a complete disaster.

There's never any guarantees.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
It will be Hughes
Same names every time this will be no different. He will do ok for a while may keep them up may not but if he does he will be gone in 2 years after failing again

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Potter is a good call, just wonder whether the ‘unproven at this level’ may work against him, though arguably some of their other appointments have been in the same position.

I'd imagine they are in a bit of a dilemma. Let's for argument's sake assume that both Potter and Hughes both actually want the job: they'd probably want Hughes for the next 8 games only, and then far rather have Potter to take the club forward. Do they appoint Hughes and miss out on Potter, or appoint Potter and take a bigger immediate gamble?

The other issue is finances. It has apparently cost them several million to pay of Pellegrino and his staff, and they've not yet finished paying off Puel and his team yet. The paper suggests that Les Reed and Kruger will be worried about going back to the new Chinese owners to ask for more money to buy a manager out of an existing job. Which points again toward appointing Hughes.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I'd imagine they are in a bit of a dilemma. Let's for argument's sake assume that both Potter and Hughes both actually want the job: they'd probably want Hughes for the next 8 games only, and then far rather have Potter to take the club forward. Do they appoint Hughes and miss out on Potter, or appoint Potter and take a bigger immediate gamble?

The other issue is finances. It has apparently cost them several million to pay of Pellegrino and his staff, and they've not yet finished paying off Puel and his team yet. The paper suggests that Les Reed and Kruger will be worried about going back to the new Chinese owners to ask for more money to buy a manager out of an existing job. Which points again toward appointing Hughes.

I can't see Potter being on any more that £3-5 k per week so no real issue with his contract, unless there's a buy-out clause.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
From our point of view it is the wrong club sacking their manager. We wanted WBA to sack Pardew and them pick up a few points from the new manager syndrome rather than Southampton do the same.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Silva is totally overrated. Took Hull down last season and lost the plot at Watford. Dunno if he'd want another PL relegation on his CV 2 years running.

Brendan Rodgers name is in the frame apparently. Not a bad shout, he MUST be bored shitless of the monkey-tennis league by now. If he failed to keep Soton up, even the Championship is more prestigeous than the SPL now. How many times can you rock up at Kilmarnock and Motherwell to dish out another thrashing without dying a little bit inside ? If the bloke has any ambition of being a proper manager then this is the sort of job he should jump at.

I'm offended. Couldn't you have used Kilmarnock and Ross County or Kilmarnock and Hamilton or Kilmarnock and Partick Thistle as examples ????????

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm offended. Couldn't you have used Kilmarnock and Ross County or Kilmarnock and Hamilton or Kilmarnock and Partick Thistle as examples ????????

Sorry chap, but when I'm thinking of noddy, two-bob teams in Scotchland, Motherwell always comes fairly high up on my list. I couldn't even point to it on a map with any degree of confidence.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Sorry chap, but when I'm thinking of noddy, two-bob teams in Scotchland, Motherwell always comes fairly high up on my list. I couldn't even point to it on a map with any degree of confidence.

LOL LOL LOL LOL - Its my team

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Given their continued run of bad results I can understand why Stains have gone for a change and their timing is as good as it can be really, given its so late in the season.
I just hope they choose the wrong man and he has the same impact as West Brom (rather than Swansea or even Stoke).
I've never forgiven them for their lack of class under Nigel Adkins. Maybe it was the man but
he will always be "Mr Southampton" for me. Smug and with no quality.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's funny how a lot of posters have said "oh shit" as their first reaction. Maybe there is a certain black art to sacking a manager? If you do it at the right time the 'dead cat bounce' maybe enough to see you safe. Unless us Hudds or Newcastle go down I think every other club in the relegation swamp have sacked their manager, so patently sacking the manager doesn't work if everybody does it. So the timing is crucial, do it too early and the bounce effect wears off, I think only Swansea have shown a permanent improvement since changing manager. EDIT: Oh and Palace.
And Everton.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's as much as one might expect with most teams doing better than before, a few significantly so such as Swansea and Leicester.
Unless I've misread it, all teams have improved their points per game except for one.

As for West Brom who were out of the relegation zone when they sacked Pulis, it's been a complete disaster.

There's never any guarantees.
Sacking Pulis and bringing in Pardew is the one guarantee. Did anyone here think that would go well for WB?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't think that was the kind of apology NooBHA was hoping for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here