Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Best recipe bolognese sauce?

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Surprised how many people add bacon to their bolognese. My recipe is: fry garlic and onions before adding mince. Throw in grated carrots (no celery for me) and chopped mushrooms before tipping in puree, chopped tomatoes and herbs/seasoning. Occasionally I chuck in diced bell pepper as well, if there's one lying around in the fridge.

Boil pasta until al dente (I use penne or fusili), then stir the drained pasta into the sauce, scatter over a liberal helping of cheddar (stronger flavour than parmesan) and serve on a hot plate immediately.

I know what I fancy now actually...

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil or sun-dried tomato oil from the jar
6 rashers of smoked streaky bacon, chopped
2 large onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1kg/2¼lb lean minced beef
2 large glasses of red wine
2x400g cans chopped tomatoes
1x290g jar antipasti marinated mushrooms, drained
2 fresh or dried bay leaves
1 tsp dried oregano or a small handful of fresh leaves, chopped
1 tsp dried thyme or a small handful of fresh leaves, chopped
Drizzle balsamic vinegar
12-14 sun-dried tomato halves, in oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
A good handful of fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
800g-1kg/1¾-2¼lb dried spaghetti
Lots of freshly grated parmesan, to serve

Thats a real TV cooks recipe and represents everything that is wrong with the modern world.
Omits carrots and celery and wallops in some uncalled for mushrooms instead, but not only mushrooms but marinated antipasti mushrooms.............be off with you and hang your head in shame.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Bacon yes. Chilli no. I also add those mushrooms in oil, chopped and drained, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar....oh, and have I mentioned I make my own pasta?

You make your own pasta ? If only you'd mentioned it earlier we could have all given you some expert advice :p

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Thats a real TV cooks recipe and represents everything that is wrong with the modern world.
Omits carrots and celery and wallops in some uncalled for mushrooms instead, but not only mushrooms but marinated antipasti mushrooms.............be off with you and hang your head in shame.

And don't get me started on the balsamic vinegar.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Garlic, Celery, plums. Fry in sesame oil till brown. Grated celeriac and beetroot. Half a cup of goat's milk. Evaporate. A generous knob. Add a cube of lard. Simmer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
A small amount of chocolate makes all the difference to me and slow cook as long as you can. With those two any recipe will work.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Ok I'll have a go. Forget the consensus of "browning the meat"... But let me explain.

Softly fry equal quantities of onion, celery and carrot VERY finely chopped. You don't want large chunks of carrot.

When they have softened add equal quantities of pork and beef mince.

You have to be patient.

Slowly stew until the water has evaporated from the vegetables and the whole lot will start to caramelise.

At the start the meat will smell a bit like dog food (stewing mince does) but as you go the flavour will improve.

A tip to speed this up is to move everything every now and then to the side of the pan to allow the liquids to evaporate.

The meat will eventually brown.

You can then add some garlic, tomato puree and canned tomatoes. I then put the whole lot in an oven on low for a few hours.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ok I'll have a go. Forget the consensus of "browning the meat"... But let me explain.

Softly fry equal quantities of onion, celery and carrot VERY finely chopped. You don't want large chunks of carrot.

When they have softened add equal quantities of pork and beef mince.

You have to be patient.

Slowly stew until the water has evaporated from the vegetables and the whole lot will start to caramelise.

At the start the meat will smell a bit like dog food (stewing mince does) but as you go the flavour will improve.

A tip to speed this up is to move everything every now and then to the side of the pan to allow the liquids to evaporate.

The meat will eventually brown.

You can then add some garlic, tomato puree and canned tomatoes. I then put the whole lot in an oven on low for a few hours.

You forgot the jar of antipasti marinated mushrooms,

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You forgot the jar of antipasti marinated mushrooms,
Nonsense.

Last thing you want is peppers the whole thing goes Spanish.

I'd oregano or most likely rosemary, which being an urban liberal remainer I have growing under lights in my organic eco larder.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Greek version

Eridanous tomato sauce with aubergines

from Lidl

Just bung it in the slow cooker before setting for the football with meat balls. Scrape out the remains afterwards.

Not sweet and sickly like Italian versions

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Simple recipe. You can actually go either way with this after the onions, peppers, garlic, tinned chopped tomatoes and mince. From there you could do a chilli or a bolognese. But after all that is quite easy. Spag Bol is one of the quickest dishes. I go with lots of oregano. Mushrooms, and other mixed herbs such as sage, rosemary, salt and pepper. Add a stock cube and that really is it. That simple.

If you go the other way with a chilli, no herbs or mushies at that point, plenty of jeera and chilli powder and you have your chilli! Although I like to add fresh chillies, generally scotchies because they have a great sweet flavour and I add corn. Never use kidney beans, prefer Borlotti.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Many Italians eat macdonalds.

Yes they are famous for their recognition of quality food and drink. Here's one of many bars that I visited in Rome last summer offering one of our favourite delicate Scottish ales on tap......

tennents.jpg

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Finely diced onion, carrot & celery
Garlic
Tinned tomatoes
Tomato puree
A large glass of white wine (though if I have a bottle of red open, I'd use that instead of opening a fresh bottle of white)
Bay leaf
Sugar
Salt & pepper

The meat:
If I have the time, I prefer to use chunks of beef as if I'm making a stew. For best results, I find a big lump of feather steak works best – cut into 2-inch slices across the connective tissue (which will melt into your ragu).
featherblade.jpg
If I don't have as much time to slow cook it, I'll get some decent mince – the steak mince from Middle Farm is excellent for this and I'll be tempted to throw in a little butter, or some good fatty pork mince to keep everything delicious.

Method:
Soften the onion, carrot & celery in olive oil in a large saucepan for 10-15 mins, add the garlic for the last 5 mins.

Meanwhile, brown the beef in a casserole dish (in batches to make sure you get some really good colour on it), remove from the pan and then add the tomato puree, fry off for a minute or two, then lift all of the bits stuck to the pan with the wine and tinned toms. Add the beef back into the casserole dish along with the softened onion, carrot and celery.
Add a bay leaf or two, a pinch or two of salt, plenty of black pepper and a teaspoon of sugar. Put the lid on the casserole dish and leave in a low oven for 4 hours or so. Add water if it ever looks like it'll dry out too much.

When ready, the chunks of beef will fall apart (like pulled pork), leaving shreds of soft tasty beef through your ragu. Stir well to make sure the beef is pulled apart – it will be easy when it's cooked enough.

Serve with spaghetti or (my preference) tagliatelle, plenty of grated parmesan on hand for those who want it, some homemade garlic bread (well, a bought baguette with garlic & parsley butter prepared at home) and a couple of bottles of Barolo. :drool:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here