Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We dont chant Chris Hughton's name enough

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Although 'Chrissy Hughton' is a bit shite.

As Corgi suggests something bespoke, that rhymes, and has Chris' actual name would probably be sung considerably more.

I don't get why it is sung as 'Chrissie'

His name has same amount of syllables as Gus Poyet but we didn't sing 'Gussie Poyet'......

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
"Chris Hughton", for whatever reason, isn't a name that lends itself to that many decent chants, so "one Chrissy Hughton" seems to be the one we're stuck with.

Regardless of that, I do think Garth Crooks is a weird old pundit, often unsure of the point he wants to make, rather like those of us reading or watching.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Garth Crooks can't hear anything over his own internal monologue saying "I know, I can't believe I'm getting away with making a living out of this either".

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is rather an odd thing to get on Crook's back about, esp bearing in mind the amount of other ammunition there is littered around him.

Chris Hughton might just be the most universally loved long term manager, in the Premier League, certainly top 5 with Pep, Potch, Rafa and Smug, and yet you wouldn't really know it listening to the chants.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't get why it is sung as 'Chrissie'

His name has same amount of syllables as Gus Poyet but we didn't sing 'Gussie Poyet'......

I don't remember singing Gus Poyet's blue and white army. It was we're f....... brilliant for the Withdean Championship season.

BHAFC_SWC

honorary pierced weirdo
Feb 26, 2013
West Sussex
IMG_9970.JPG

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He walked into the club
Like he was walking on a yacht
We were heading for League 1
But he didn't give a jot
He had one eye on the table
And he began to scheme and plot
And all the teams dreamed you'd be their manager
Dreamed you'd be the manager and

You're not vain
You don't think that this chant is about you
You're not vain
I bet you think this chants about Bruno
Don't you
Don't you

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What position does this Chris Hughton play? Seems invisible to me.

#BarberOut

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Early leaver for his free half time bevvy otherwise he would have heard the 5 minutes of chanting. It's a long walk from the bench to the exit and CH punched 4 stewards, swore at a copper, pushed a wheelchair on to the pitch and kicked a little kid who asked for his jacket, all the time clapping the away fans who were singing his name.

It is hard to hear anything with his continuous talking. :facepalm:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I am sure Garth Crooks was born and brought up by the Victoria Ground in Stoke in one of the rows of terraced streets off London Road, just over the byepass from the neew ground. Although wikipedia page puts paid to this saying he was born in Bucknall to the north. I have seen him interviewed before saying how someone would say 'Stanley Matthews is in the high street' and they would run up to see him with their football, which made me think it was nearer the old ground.

Anyhow if he still lived there, all he would have heard (especially leading up to half time) was Chris Hughton's BLUE AND WHITE ARMY, over and over again. It was fanatstic as the players walked off.

They must be good mates (same age and both in the same team that won the 81,82 FA CUP and 84 European Cup) I just hope his comments are not based on chats with Chris, who secretly bemoans our lack of support for him.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It must be very difficult to hear if you only go to one game per season and your name is Garth Crooks. But maybe somebody should tell him that "Chrissy Hughton's blue and white army" contains the name of Chrissy Hughton and is sung at every(?) Brighton and Hove Albion match.

Not in the North Stand it isn’t. In fact I don’t remember the last home game it was sung at. And the main reason I say this is because I made this point to the group I go with during the last home game I went to (I was away for WHU).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He will need to change his name if he wants a half decent chant, nothing fits
Perhaps we could just mumble out a few words, shout Chris Hughton really fast, while "ALBION" is being sung over it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here