Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Sunderland humour at our expense!

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
He's an excellent keeper, just think he deserves chance in the premier league so take him with our best wishes.

You lot are not really in a position to take the piss are you? Keep a dignified silence and work to get out of L1. The upward way that is.

Having read the RTG forum thread about him I don't think he is very good.

A few quotes:
Unbelievable why any PL club would want oven glove hands.

I honestly had to click the link to believe it, I thought the op was playing funny beggars with title. ****ing hell which ever top flight club it is I’d be worried if I was there fan as they simply SIMPLY can’t have scouted the lad last season.

Ok ha ha, come on out Jeremy Beadle. I'm not falling for this shite.

This has to be a wind up, I know he improved a bit in the last few games, but he was absolutely woeful before that, was pretty woeful at blackburn the season before WTF would a premier league team want him, unless its to clean the other keepers boots?

Beyond my wildest dreams that this imposter would be coveted by any club....let alone a PL team....What a break...getting shot of the clown who still has a 3 yr deal left...Please god don't let The Don play hardball over this one...just get rid ...NOW...

Sitting here trying to work out which Premier League manager hates his own fans enough to do this.

Staggering :lol:
Actual money for popadom wrists :eek:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Still not as good as mugging them off for the best part of £20M for Buckley & Bridcutt eh ?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Buckley, Bridcutt.( Poyet )

Nah, wasn’t bothered about them. Byrne was and remains a Brighton legend though. That lot are mere footnotes ;)

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I have to say that the overall thinking in the goalkeeping department this window is beyond my comprehension.

We are apparently releasing two excellent GKs ( Krul & Maenpaa ) having at least initially failed to offer new contracts, and are reputedly considering or about to sign Button from Fulham for £4m and Steele from Sunderland for £1.5m. who is to put it mildly not rated by SAFC fans. Christian Walton has again signed on annual loan to Wigan.

Someone please tell me my understanding is flawed !

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I have to say that the overall thinking in the goalkeeping department this window is beyond my comprehension.

We are apparently releasing two excellent GKs ( Krul & Maenpaa ) having at least initially failed to offer new contracts, and are reputedly considering or about to sign Button from Fulham for £4m and Steele from Sunderland for £1.5m. who is to put it mildly not rated by SAFC fans. Christian Walton has again signed on annual loan to Wigan.

Krul & Maenpaa obviously think they can’t challenge Ryan for a starting spot and want to play regularly, or better chance of it.

Walton is still very young and needs to develop. He had an excellent loan period at Wigan and will benefit from playing championship football week in week out.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Nah, wasn’t bothered about them. Byrne was and remains a Brighton legend though. That lot are mere footnotes ;)

Tut, that word 'legend' again. It's bandied about far too often in my opinion. Should only ever be used for the very cream of the crop. I even read an article a while ago which described Gary Dicker as a former Brighton & Hove Albion legend. Ahem, l don't think so.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Krul & Maenpaa obviously think they can’t challenge Ryan for a starting spot and want to play regularly, or better chance of it.

Walton is still very young and needs to develop. He had an excellent loan period at Wigan and will benefit from playing championship football week in week out.

Precisely this.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Worried about this likely signing. Blackburn fans were very surprised when Sunderland paid money for Steele and now it’s the same reaction from mates who are Sunderland fans who know what they’re talking about. I assume he will be the number three keeper and that he’ll help with numbers of home grown players...

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

I suspect the key to understanding the situation is probably Ben Roberts. His stock must be high having been the one to recommend the signing of Maty Ryan: https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...-was-our-first-choice-and-has-been-excellent/. He worked with Button at Charlton and is a Middlesborough graduate like Steele. Roberts was given a lot of credit by David Stockdale for the work he did with him and, if he thinks that Steele and Button have the potential to be much better than their recent careers suggest, I would trust him to be the man to do the work necessary to prove himself right.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Slightly wrong - we have offered Krul a contract but can't force him to sign it.

Maenpaa - we have taken up an option on his contract - but he wants to go... and we really need a HGP anyway.

I reckon there is a strong case to keep Walton, but the club thinking is different.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
The reality is that there aren't a load of home-grown PL standard keepers out there queuing up to be 2nd or 3rd choice at a recently-promoted and as yet unestablished PL team who's first choice keeper is only likely to make way when he's either injured or at the Asian cup thingy. If Roberts and the scouting staff have seen potential in this guy, and he's hungry to get his career back on track, I'll trust them far more than a bunch of disgruntled Mackems who have only ever seen him play behind an absolute pony defense.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I can't help feeling that £5.5M (the alleged amount we're trying to pay for two new keepers) should be enough to persuade one - or both - of Krul and Maenpaa to stay for another season.............and leave a fair amount of change!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I can't help feeling that £5.5M (the alleged amount we're trying to pay for two new keepers) should be enough to persuade one - or both - of Krul and Maenpaa to stay for another season.............and leave a fair amount of change!

Then what happens when Suttner, Hemed or Baldock want a few million quid to sit on the bench ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here