Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strong and Stable - Congratulations to Angela Merkel on a 4th term

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Tubbs... any truth in this foodbanks story... surely not in Germany?

http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2017/09/world/germany-food-bank-cnnphotos/

"This is one of more than 930 food banks affiliated with the centralized federation of German food banks. Around 1.5 million people are supported by affiliated Tafeln across the country, with countless more served by independent food banks. And according to a survey carried out by the federation in 2016, demand is growing."

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

"This is one of more than 930 food banks affiliated with the centralized federation of German food banks. Around 1.5 million people are supported by affiliated Tafeln across the country, with countless more served by independent food banks. And according to a survey carried out by the federation in 2016, demand is growing."

He is too busy celebrating the Italian elections ............

blind-man-s-bluff (1).jpeg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The story is true in the sense that waste produce from supermarkets etc is given to the public as opposed to slung in the bin. This has been going on for decades, is well established, and is a part of the broader recycling culture here. In fact it’s so ingrained in the culture here there was even an article about it in my German lesson some time ago: http://www.dw.com/de/folge-12-geld/l-18870522. I think it’s a good think and I notice Britain is now talking about banning supermarket food waste; it’s voluntary here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He is too busy celebrating the Italian elections ............

View attachment 94918

I guess you’re too busy being thick? To be so simple you can’t even follow the logic of an exhaustive set of options must take effort? Or maybe it comes naturally? :lolol:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I guess you’re too busy being thick? To be so simple you can’t even follow the logic of an exhaustive set of options must take effort? Or maybe it comes naturally? :lolol:

That's brilliant, god knows what bobbles about in your Wofie Smiths head, but brilliant nonetheless :lolol::lolol:

wolfie.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The story is true in the sense that waste produce from supermarkets etc is given to the public as opposed to slung in the bin. This has been going on for decades, is well established, and is a part of the broader recycling culture here. In fact it’s so ingrained in the culture here there was even an article about it in my German lesson some time ago: http://www.dw.com/de/folge-12-geld/l-18870522. I think it’s a good think and I notice Britain is now talking about banning supermarket food waste; it’s voluntary here.

It's not just about recycling though, is it? How about these bits?

"She’s one of around 150 people who visit this food bank every week – mothers and fathers, pensioners and refugees. Like the others, she doesn’t have enough money to feed herself and her family.

Munich and its surrounding area are home to six of Germany’s 10 wealthiest districts. But this region is also home to 18 food banks. Fürstenfeldbruck is one of them.
The town’s pristine buildings, neatly swept sidewalks and romantic riverside restaurants disguise a growing level of poverty.

...she has little hope that politicians can improve her situation: “No one can help you. You have to help yourself, you have to save yourself.”

The percentage of Germans at risk of poverty rose from about 12% in 1995 to roughly 16% in 2014, according to a government report published earlier this year. Income inequality has also risen, the report found.

But huge numbers of Germans — 40% of the population in fact — aren’t enjoying any of that prosperity for themselves. Inequality and poverty are both growing.
Older people have been hardest hit. The number of retirees living below the poverty line has increased from about 10% to 15% since 2005

Despite being a top concern for voters — 17% of Germans are worried about poverty, up from 10% a year ago — most politicians have been silent on the subject during the election campaign.

A 67-year-old man who has been using the food bank in Fürstenfeldbruck for six years sees little hope for his future if Merkel remains Chancellor.
“The politicians do far too little. They’re too busy cosying up to the big companies. Poverty has no lobby group”

Christa Rath, 73, who has been volunteering at the food bank in Fürstenfeldbruck since it opened in 2000, agrees that the Tafeln won’t provide a long-term solution to the problem.
“And there will be more and more of them,” she says. But until bigger changes are possible, “you simply have to do something.”
“It puts us all to shame that these exist, that there’s the need for them to exist.”

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

"She’s one of around 150 people who visit this food bank every week – mothers and fathers, pensioners and refugees. Like the others, she doesn’t have enough money to feed herself and her family.

Munich and its surrounding area are home to six of Germany’s 10 wealthiest districts. But this region is also home to 18 food banks. Fürstenfeldbruck is one of them.
The town’s pristine buildings, neatly swept sidewalks and romantic riverside restaurants disguise a growing level of poverty.

...she has little hope that politicians can improve her situation: “No one can help you. You have to help yourself, you have to save yourself.”

The percentage of Germans at risk of poverty rose from about 12% in 1995 to roughly 16% in 2014, according to a government report published earlier this year. Income inequality has also risen, the report found.

But huge numbers of Germans — 40% of the population in fact — aren’t enjoying any of that prosperity for themselves. Inequality and poverty are both growing.
Older people have been hardest hit. The number of retirees living below the poverty line has increased from about 10% to 15% since 2005

Despite being a top concern for voters — 17% of Germans are worried about poverty, up from 10% a year ago — most politicians have been silent on the subject during the election campaign.

A 67-year-old man who has been using the food bank in Fürstenfeldbruck for six years sees little hope for his future if Merkel remains Chancellor.
“The politicians do far too little. They’re too busy cosying up to the big companies. Poverty has no lobby group”

Christa Rath, 73, who has been volunteering at the food bank in Fürstenfeldbruck since it opened in 2000, agrees that the Tafeln won’t provide a long-term solution to the problem.
“And there will be more and more of them,” she says. But until bigger changes are possible, “you simply have to do something.”
“It puts us all to shame that these exist, that there’s the need for them to exist.”

I’m not saying poor people do not use them. But the article is a very inaccurate description of the underlying origins and ethos of these organisations. If you care to read more you will find out.

larus

Be interesting too see what comments he’s made about food banks in the UK eh!. Of course, there’s no chance he would be hypocritical/selective with the facts is there!!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Be interesting too see what comments he’s made about food banks in the UK eh!. Of course, there’s no chance he would be hypocritical/selective with the facts is there!!!

of course I wouldn’t.

larus

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...t-coalition-immigration-csu-cdu-a8400161.html

Angela Merkel’s future uncertain as party faces split over immigration policies

Rogue conservative interior minister planning to force through tough immigration policy

Things in EU-Land are far from rosy.
Rise of populism - Austria, Le Pen, AfD, 5 Stat/La Liga, Catalonia, Hungary/Poland rebelling, Brexit, Netherlands far right party, still running QE, immigrant crisis, target 2 liabilities, EURO instability.

But no, it’s the UK that has to worry about Brexit. (Yeah, right!.)

Merkel is a lame-duck now. She has no power and could be out of office soon. The AfD are worrying the establishment, but of course, this doesn’t really matter to some certain posters :lol:.

I’d like to say this is upsetting for me - but I can’t as it would be a lie. Screw ‘em. They want to try to screw us over Brexit and thwart the will of the UK - well I’ll enjoy all their pain and squirming.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Things in EU-Land are far from rosy.
Rise of populism - Austria, Le Pen, AfD, 5 Stat/La Liga, Catalonia, Hungary/Poland rebelling, Brexit, Netherlands far right party, still running QE, immigrant crisis, target 2 liabilities, EURO instability.

But no, it’s the UK that has to worry about Brexit. (Yeah, right!.)

Merkel is a lame-duck now. She has no power and could be out of office soon. The AfD are worrying the establishment, but of course, this doesn’t really matter to some certain posters :lol:.

I’d like to say this is upsetting for me - but I can’t as it would be a lie. Screw ‘em. They want to try to screw us over Brexit and thwart the will of the UK - well I’ll enjoy all their pain and squirming.

Someone didn’t get laid last night :lolol:

Last edited:

larus

Someone didn’t get laid last night :lolol:

Did you wine and dine Mrs Fist last night, or go straight for the action? :lol:

Your usual response when things aren’t what you like - try to attack the man to divert attention eh! Sad reflection on you, but shows you in your true colours (which have been quite evident for a long time).

When you have sad old gits like H.W. Tackle on your side (him that blocks anyone who he doesn’t agree with), then you may want to re-consider your views. :p.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Did you wine and dine Mrs Fist last night, or go straight for the action? :lol:

Your usual response when things aren’t what you like - try to attack the man to divert attention eh! Sad reflection on you, but shows you in your true colours (which have been quite evident for a long time).

When you have sad old gits like H.W. Tackle on your side (him that blocks anyone who he doesn’t agree with), then you may want to re-consider your views. :p.

HW hasn’t blocked me, he does act like a child though, think he’s a bit thick!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here