Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] On this performance

zefarelly

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Entirely possible, also maybe something to do with the homegrown thing. Whatever that is.

Imagine how shit we're going to be after a hard Brexit. . . I might dig out my REMF boots!

Perhaps there’s a ceiling to every player’s ability? Rather than March’s lack of progress being the fault of club staff.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
I think it's mainly the players we are missing. Propper a very good passer and Gross far better at holding the ball than March. There was no outball once we went down to 10 men but before that there was and we still kept passing to the opposition (although we had 58% possession until the red card).
In terms of the well rounded attacker with pace I'm hoping Andone can be that player - was impressed with him today.

There is a saying in business that "you are what you measure". I think the same may hold sway in football. If praise and reward (staying in the team) follows defensive success and hard work that is what players will focus on - even attacking or flair players. So, for example, the signal from Knockeart being dropped is "take no risks", "stay deep and track back" "at all cost clear the ball". Maybe CH needs to adjust his management style a little bit to change the mindset of the eam

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Agree to an extent but I don't think we sat back or took our foot of the pedal. I just think we are showing an inability to hold onto the ball at present.
Missing Gross and Propper hugely imho.

Certainly missing creativity and Gross's goals. Propper is a bit of an enigma to me. Wins headers in midfield and can pick a pass but has not scored and looks a bit slack in own box. That said various other players equally have issues e.g. Kayak great at hassling and winning the ball then gives it away.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
There is a saying in business that "you are what you measure". I think the same may hold sway in football. If praise and reward (staying in the team) follows defensive success and hard work that is what players will focus on - even attacking or flair players. So, for example, the signal from Knockeart being dropped is "take no risks", "stay deep and track back" "at all cost clear the ball". Maybe CH needs to adjust his management style a little bit to change the mindset of the eam

Ak is the best of the wingers at defending.....

zefarelly

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Seasider78, we were, but the bar was very low. Which begs the same old question, why didn't we kill the game off, start with andone and Murray . . . . Could/should have been 3-0 up by half time.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Seasider78, we were, but the bar was very low. Which begs the same old question, why didn't we kill the game off, start with andone and Murray . . . . Could/should have been 3-0 up by half time.

because, like it or not, it isn't the Hewton way

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Our performances have been poor for the last 5 games, and yet people still get accused of bed wetting for stating this fact ! We cannot keep the ball and when we’re in possession we seem downright lazy because there is absolutely no movement from players to make themselves available to receive a pass - this is half the reason we give the ball away so often because the player on the ball has no options. Countless times today I saw the ball played up to Murray and not one player made any move to feed off him, they simply wait to see what happens ! In this respect, this is where it feels that too many of our players are still performing at championship level. People are saying we are missing Gross and Propper, this is because they are an upgrade on our championship team. Something has got to change and fast otherwise we are going to get sucked into the bottom 5 by Christmas. I’m hoping that Gross and Propper are both fit for the Leicester game in 2 weeks, getting them both back into the starting lineup could be the change we desperately need.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
don't know if anyone noticed the body language from March/Murray on being subbed ? Agree they should be disappointed, but pretty sure neither acknowledged Houghton.
Personally, I would have taken Jose off and stuck Andone up top with Murray, who, incidentally, we missed his height at the final set pieces.

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Our performances have been poor for the last 5 games, and yet people still get accused of bed wetting for stating this fact ! We cannot keep the ball and when we’re in possession we seem downright lazy because there is absolutely no movement from players to make themselves available to receive a pass - this is half the reason we give the ball away so often because the player on the ball has no options. Countless times today I saw the ball played up to Murray and not one player made any move to feed off him, they simply wait to see what happens ! In this respect, this is where it feels that too many of our players are still performing at championship level. People are saying we are missing Gross and Propper, this is because they are an upgrade on our championship team. Something has got to change and fast otherwise we are going to get sucked into the bottom 5 by Christmas. I’m hoping that Gross and Propper are both fit for the Leicester game in 2 weeks, getting them both back into the starting lineup could be the change we desperately need.
You are correct

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
don't know if anyone noticed the body language from March/Murray on being subbed ? Agree they should be disappointed, but pretty sure neither acknowledged Houghton.
Personally, I would have taken Jose off and stuck Andone up top with Murray, who, incidentally, we missed his height at the final set pieces.

I interpreted that as them simply being gutted that their beloved football was over for another week. No ill feeling.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Certainly missing creativity and Gross's goals. Propper is a bit of an enigma to me. Wins headers in midfield and can pick a pass but has not scored and looks a bit slack in own box. That said various other players equally have issues e.g. Kayak great at hassling and winning the ball then gives it away.

He does the simple things very well - like keeping possession and passing to a team mate - could do with more players like that!
He's one of those players that you don't really appreciate until he's not there.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Interesting comment on BBC Sussex that Locadia was down to play alongside Murray but once he went sick, March came back in. Would they have got the service before the sending off though and who would have been sacrificed after it?

Missing a Sidwell type in midfield IMO

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
**** off you ****

Come back with a counter argument as to why we will be ok but that’s just juvenile mate. I think we will stay up but that was not good enough today.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He does the simple things very well - like keeping possession and passing to a team mate - could do with more players like that!
He's one of those players that you don't really appreciate until he's not there.
He is that link between midfield and any attacking prowess.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
You watched the opposite game to me. Montoya was poor against their wingers who had the beating of him every time and Andone looked like the only attacking player who could control a ball and bring others into play. We improved after he came on and Murray went off.

I thought Montoya was poor second half, gave away too many naïve fouls

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here