Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Did my first competitive run for a little while yesterday. One of my Toronto running clubs RunTOBeer decided to create a 70k relay race from Toronto to Hamilton, ending at a brewery which is owned by one of the founders of the club. Teams of 2, 4 or 6 with male, female and mixed categories, plus 4 crazy solo runners. We entered a mixed team of 6 and started at 8am, the earliest wave with most of the other fast teams. The early start was to try and avoid the worst of the heat, but we needn't have worried as it was absolutely POURING down with rain.

It was up to us how we split it up, so we decided on 2 legs for each runner, roughly 6k each. It soon became apparent that it was between us and another team for first place. I was the third runner and managed to get a small lead over them but we were trading places most of the way through. By the time I took the baton for leg 9 we were about 20 seconds behind them. This was by far the wettest I've ever been on a run. The downpour seemed to just get harder and harder, to the point where I'd get splashed by cars and would barely notice. I had 8k to slowly reel them in, which I managed to do after they handed over to their slowest runner. I think I was about 30 seconds ahead when I passed the baton on, and the three women on our team were taking it home. Just as the rain stopped!

These women were really fast, one of them pulled out a few sub 4 minute kms and it looked like we had it in the bag. Unfortunately this pace was slightly wasted as she took a wrong turn and ended up doing an extra couple of kms (I'm making no comment about women and directions). Sadly it meant the other team beat us, but we did win our category and came 2nd overall. Such a fun event, despite the awful weather.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did my first competitive run for a little while yesterday. One of my Toronto running clubs RunTOBeer decided to create a 70k relay race from Toronto to Hamilton, ending at a brewery which is owned by one of the founders of the club. Teams of 2, 4 or 6 with male, female and mixed categories, plus 4 crazy solo runners. We entered a mixed team of 6 and started at 8am, the earliest wave with most of the other fast teams. The early start was to try and avoid the worst of the heat, but we needn't have worried as it was absolutely POURING down with rain.

It was up to us how we split it up, so we decided on 2 legs for each runner, roughly 6k each. It soon became apparent that it was between us and another team for first place. I was the third runner and managed to get a small lead over them but we were trading places most of the way through. By the time I took the baton for leg 9 we were about 20 seconds behind them. This was by far the wettest I've ever been on a run. The downpour seemed to just get harder and harder, to the point where I'd get splashed by cars and would barely notice. I had 8k to slowly reel them in, which I managed to do after they handed over to their slowest runner. I think I was about 30 seconds ahead when I passed the baton on, and the three women on our team were taking it home. Just as the rain stopped!

These women were really fast, one of them pulled out a few sub 4 minute kms and it looked like we had it in the bag. Unfortunately this pace was slightly wasted as she took a wrong turn and ended up doing an extra couple of kms (I'm making no comment about women and directions). Sadly it meant the other team beat us, but we did win our category and came 2nd overall. Such a fun event, despite the awful weather.

That sounds brilliant....our club do a similar thing in Sussex every year, along the Downslink (38 miles) as a social event. More competitively, there is the South Downs Way 100 Mile relay - split into 18 legs with about 50 teams of 6, each runner doing 3 legs and teams setting off in 30 minute handicapped intervals. Absolutely fantastic day out, but a bloody hard day's work - 3 hilly tempo runs of about an hour each on average spread out over 12-14 hours after a 4am start..........

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
That sounds brilliant....our club do a similar thing in Sussex every year, along the Downslink (38 miles) as a social event. More competitively, there is the South Downs Way 100 Mile relay - split into 18 legs with about 50 teams of 6, each runner doing 3 legs and teams setting off in 30 minute handicapped intervals. Absolutely fantastic day out, but a bloody hard day's work - 3 hilly tempo runs of about an hour each on average spread out over 12-14 hours after a 4am start..........

There's something about relay runs which add an extra element of enjoyment. People seem to step up their competitive nature but it's always done a in a very friendly manner. I did the Ragnar Relay to Niagara Falls last month, which was a much bigger beast. Teams of 12 doing 300km, with 3 legs each, over 24+ hours.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Afternoon all. Sorry not been on for a while as been traipsing round Russia for no good reason over the last few weeks!

Anyway I missed the Phoenix 10k, hope that those that did it had fun, I imagine a few dropped out?. I did a couple of races recently, the run through organised Chase the Sun 10k at Clapham Common and the recent 5.30am run through Brighton. "Run Through" really are really great events and medals, the support from the Marshalls really is second to none. I have backed off on worrying about times at the moment as 9 weeks on Sunday until my 10th Marathon (Loch Ness). I will also be doing the 3 peaks challenge on the 5th August, so everything is currently geared to them. I have done more hill running and did 19 miles 15th July and 13 miles on Sunday. Everything going reasonably smoothly, obviously the heat has been an issue so it has meant early early starts on Sundays. I have also taken to a 5 mile loop round Ardingly reservoir and the South of England showground as hilly but also means I pass my car each lap so have been able to replenish my water supplies! I also did the Clair Park Park Run on Sunday, forgot just how hilly that course is but all good training towards the three peaks challenge. I put on nearly half a stone with the beer and vodka and occasional unhealthy plate of food in Russia, but I have managed to knock most of that back off with running in this heat. I passed 700 miles so far for the year on Sunday, so well on the way for achieving an average of 100 miles a month for the year (my initial target was 1,111 for the year)

This week a few of us doing the 3 peaks challenge will be walking up various hills for 10 miles then undoing the good with BBQ, beer and camping overnight!

Additionally I have joined a new running group, the Worth Way Runners - so will be going to my first training session with them on Tuesday. I will see how that goes, they have a real mix of abilities and goals. There local park run is Tilgate Park which is my favourite one and I often run the Worth Way so hopefully a good match.

I hope all are well and having fun.

Good mileage for the year so far. Just checked my stats and I'm at 632 so should hopefully surpass my record of a 1,000 set last year.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Good mileage for the year so far. Just checked my stats and I'm at 632 so should hopefully surpass my record of a 1,000 set last year.

Ooh, good shout, I haven't checked my mileage for a while.

1354km (841 miles) so far this year. I think that's about double what I've ever done in a whole year before :lolol: Hoping to break the 2000km mark.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
876km/544miles at end June mid point through year. July has been a poor month so may only just make 1000 miles for the year.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm at 602 miles for the year, which is a shame because I wanted to have hit 500 before Brighton marathon, which didn't happen. I've been short on motivation recently, but I'm starting to crank out the miles again and I have the Isle of Man and Bournemouth marathons to target. Possibly even Beachy Head, depending on how the other two go.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm at 602 miles for the year, which is a shame because I wanted to have hit 500 before Brighton marathon, which didn't happen. I've been short on motivation recently, but I'm starting to crank out the miles again and I have the Isle of Man and Bournemouth marathons to target. Possibly even Beachy Head, depending on how the other two go.

If you live in Sussex, you’re not a marathon runner until you’ve done Beachy [emoji106][emoji106]

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If you live in Sussex, you’re not a marathon runner until you’ve done Beachy [emoji106][emoji106]

I've done it twice. I'm still trying to work out how a wonderful young lady called Emily managed to run it in sub 3:30. Crazy pace, the girl has no boundaries.

At the moment, it is not my intention to take part but that may change come the day. It's a wonderful course, on the right day!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've done it twice. I'm still trying to work out how a wonderful young lady called Emily managed to run it in sub 3:30. Crazy pace, the girl has no boundaries.

At the moment, it is not my intention to take part but that may change come the day. It's a wonderful course, on the right day!

Indeed.....one of my favourites........think the men’s CR is sub 2:50 [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Just done a very leisurely 10k early evening run here in Bermuda. 53.42. Well I am 57 so give me a break!
Lovely views though.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Indeed.....one of my favourites........think the men’s CR is sub 2:50 [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Have you seen the topographical map? The sisters at the end are nothing compared with the first 10 miles or so! Crazy. And then the gate you have to climb over at mile 17, after all of the steps. That part got me both times, the first time my quad locked up as I attempted to haul myself over the top. Amazing food stations on the way though, a really lovely atmosphere through the villages too. A wonderful event, but not really one for running.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Had a month off running recently as I lost the love but back into it now but just doing 10ks and it's all hills around here in Devon so that's me from now on and still get round in 50 mins on a good day at the grand age of 60 now

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have you seen the topographical map? The sisters at the end are nothing compared with the first 10 miles or so! Crazy. And then the gate you have to climb over at mile 17, after all of the steps. That part got me both times, the first time my quad locked up as I attempted to haul myself over the top. Amazing food stations on the way though, a really lovely atmosphere through the villages too. A wonderful event, but not really one for running.

All the pain for me is the Sisters.......it’s more gently undulating up till then although the climb from Alfriston to Bo Peep is a bit of a 2 mile uphill slog [emoji23][emoji23] Do you mean the little wall at Exceat ?

Never been a race for, more a lovely social jog [emoji106]

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I’m in week 2 of couch to 5k.. struggling a little bit but really determined to see it through.. I am actually looking forward to my running days which is something I never thought I would ever say.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I’m in week 2 of couch to 5k.. struggling a little bit but really determined to see it through.. I am actually looking forward to my running days which is something I never thought I would ever say.

Brilliant. Maybe you could become a regular on this thread - easily the best & most supportive around. Plenty of advice on training, upcoming events, heroic success and heroic failure. Plus - sorry to flag this at so early a stage in your running career - advice on injury management. And if you become a hardened running anorak there's our very own league table (but with no relegation). Be good to hear of your progress.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Had a month off running recently as I lost the love but back into it now but just doing 10ks and it's all hills around here in Devon so that's me from now on and still get round in 50 mins on a good day at the grand age of 60 now

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the 60+ club. I think there's now just the 3 of us, although [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] seems to be forever 55-59.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Great news..........well done for starting and just keep plugging away - trust me, you'll find you'll get lots of 'watershed' moments, particularly early on, where it starts to feel much better. It's also MUCH more difficult in this weather, everyone is struggling - once it cools even a few degrees you'll find it significantly easier too. As @GNT says, this thread is brilliant - and all runners are equal on here, whether beginners or battle-hardened old gits.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Welcome! And the Frau is also doing the same, couch to Park Run. From zero interest in anything sporty she’s now running 1 mile, 2 more to reach her goal. And even the most serious runners struggle, from motivation to injury to under estimating things to over estimating things to just asking ourselves why we are bother to do this shit. So whatever it is you’re struggling with we have all been there.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here