Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Putting Pets Down.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I was talking to a friend at the weekend and he's paid £5,000 to have his dog treated that's got cancer. He was pretty cut up about it but said that the money was worth it to have his dog for at least another year. The good thing was he had quite a big win at the bookies earlier this year so put the majority of his winnings to get the best possible treatment. And as long as his dog's got a good quality of life he said the bills are worth every penny to see his dog happy.

I had a cat that got very old two years ago and had the big C. The vet's advice was to have her put down. Heartbreaking at the time and I went for a very long walk on my own after the injection. :( I know it's been said umpteen times but they do become part of your family.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I was talking to a friend at the weekend and he's paid £5,000 to have his dog treated that's got cancer. He was pretty cut up about it but said that the money was worth it to have his dog for at least another year. The good thing was he had quite a big win at the bookies earlier this year so put the majority of his winnings to get the best possible treatment. And as long as his dog's got a good quality of life he said the bills are worth every penny to see his dog happy.

I had a cat that got very old two years ago and had the big C. The vet's advice was to have her put down. Heartbreaking at the time and I went for a very long walk on my own after the injection. :( I know it's been said umpteen times but they do become part of your family.

It’s heartbreaking stuff isn’t it? My dog is 11 now and by rights shouldn’t be alive / been put down as a pup she was so ill. But we took a punt and she lived. Cost £10k but worth every penny, I reckon across her little life we’ve probably paid out £22k in vet bills and probably got about 2/3rds back. She’s not been the luckiest of animals! Can’t put a price on love though and nor should you. What cold calculating world do people live in when, means a side, someone deems a pet isn’t worth doing your very best for. They’re family, simple as! Give me cats and dogs over humans like Donald Trump any day of the week!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Certainly feel your pain. We had our 13 year old Retriever put down for the same reasons in February and it was heartbreaking. We said we would never get another dog as it would never replace the love he gave to us...it will be like losing your best friend and the worse thing recently was the advert where the parents put the lions mane on their retriever as he was the spitting image of our Max...however, it does get easier and you realise your house is not the same without a fluffy one running around so me and my wife bit the bullet two weeks ago and we are now the proud parents of a 10 week old Cavalier who is brilliant fun!
71e7bd7a398dad63684c081f04c641f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Look, let's get real. We're talking about pets here, not human beings. Pets do not live as long as humans and so they're likely going to die a lot sooner than you do. If you cannot handle a pet dying, then I suggest you refrain from owning one.

And while I'm at it (and this has become a big bugbear of mine recently) what is all this crap about pet insurance, pet supermarkets, toys for pets, vets on every street corner? You're being taken for a ride, people. You have a pet, it gets ill, you have it put down. That's the way it was back when the world was a more sensible place. A lot of smart people are making a lot of money out of you pet lovers and it's time you woke up and realised you're being taken for a very expensive ride.

And then there's the issue of picking up after your dog. If aliens saw us walking our dogs and picking up their poop, who would they think is in charge? Not in a million years would I pick up dog shit.

Rant over.

I've read some pretty nasty stuff on here but that's without doubt the most spiteful thing I think I've ever seen on NSC. Why post that?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Certainly feel your pain. We had our 13 year old Retriever put down for the same reasons in February and it was heartbreaking. We said we would never get another dog as it would never replace the love he gave to us...it will be like losing your best friend and the worse thing recently was the advert where the parents put the lions mane on their retriever as he was the spitting image of our Max...however, it does get easier and you realise your house is not the same without a fluffy one running around so me and my wife bit the bullet two weeks ago and we are now the proud parents of a 10 week old Cavalier who is brilliant fun!
71e7bd7a398dad63684c081f04c641f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is going to grow into REAL trouble... :ohmy:

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I lost my cat 21 years ago when he was hit by a car. The following year was the saddest period of my life, that’s how long it took me to get over the grief. There are songs I listened to during that time that I still can’t listen to to this day because they bring it all back, i’ve never had a four legged friend since, I can’t bear to go through that again. Funnily enough, this football club kept me going through that time, it was the only thing that made life feel ‘normal’. They are family members and I feel your loss. It gets easier with the passing of time though.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Look, let's get real. We're talking about pets here, not human beings. Pets do not live as long as humans and so they're likely going to die a lot sooner than you do. If you cannot handle a pet dying, then I suggest you refrain from owning one.

And while I'm at it (and this has become a big bugbear of mine recently) what is all this crap about pet insurance, pet supermarkets, toys for pets, vets on every street corner? You're being taken for a ride, people. You have a pet, it gets ill, you have it put down. That's the way it was back when the world was a more sensible place. A lot of smart people are making a lot of money out of you pet lovers and it's time you woke up and realised you're being taken for a very expensive ride.

And then there's the issue of picking up after your dog. If aliens saw us walking our dogs and picking up their poop, who would they think is in charge? Not in a million years would I pick up dog shit.

Rant over.

Oh Dear .... a non-pet owner who has yet to experience grief - when the day comes to you and it's your turn to lose something you feel deeply for - suggest you don't come on here.

As my mate would say: if you're looking for sympathy ...... you'll find it in the dictionary - it's between shit and syphilis.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC

Rant over.

I just showed my Mrs this post because I found it both funny and sad. She found the whole thing so funny and sad she asked me to copy and paste it to her. You're now the laughing stock of an entire vets office on the other side of the world. Congrats, maybe that will kick start your cold dead heart.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I just showed my Mrs this post because I found it both funny and sad. She found the whole thing so funny and sad she asked me to copy and paste it to her. You're now the laughing stock of an entire vets office on the other side of the world. Congrats, maybe that will kick start your cold dead heart.

A vets office in the USA where "veterinarians earned a median salary of $88,490 in 2015. The best-paid veterinarians earned $158,260". No wonder they want to keep pets alive when they should be put down. Lots more cash rolling in if they keep on treating them.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
First of all, sorry to hear about your loss. I'm dreading the day my cat goes. I took her in as her owner was mistreating her (she had mental health issues so it was through no fault of her own.)
It took her a while to settle and it was only me in the flat back then but she learned to trust me and now she's my shadow. The past year she's now got my fiancée and step daughter for company too and we would all be really upset when she goes. She's the fourth member of the family and it won't be the same without her flying around like an idiot because we come in from work, eating all my phone chargers, doing human sized turds in her tray or just laying by me in bed.

And finally [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION]
You're one of the biggest pricks on here, and coming from me that is saying something!
Absolute helmet.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
A vets office in the USA where "veterinarians earned a median salary of $88,490 in 2015. The best-paid veterinarians earned $158,260". No wonder they want to keep pets alive when they should be put down. Lots more cash rolling in if they keep on treating them.

Yea the very same people. Laughing at you and your soulless posts. I feel bad for your kids/partner/pets they choose to own.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I wasn't going to drag this out any further ... but I can't resist.

A friend of a friend is about to pay £2,000 for an operation for her dog. She already pays £100 a month for pet insurance, but it will only cover half of the £4000 operation cost. This is frigging unbelievable. My Dad was a farmer and treated all animals with the utmost respect, but when they were very ill or injured they were put down. He would have been gob-smacked to hear how much people are paying today in vet bills and pet insurance.

You people who keep pets alive when they should they should be put down do not have the interests of the animal at heart. It is purely selfish motivation because you cannot bear to lose your pet.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I wasn't going to drag this out any further ... but I can't resist.

A friend of a friend is about to pay £2,000 for an operation for her dog. She already pays £100 a month for pet insurance, but it will only cover half of the £4000 operation cost. This is frigging unbelievable. My Dad was a farmer and treated all animals with the utmost respect, but when they were very ill or injured they were put down. He would have been gob-smacked to hear how much people are paying today in vet bills and pet insurance.

You people who keep pets alive when they should they should be put down do not have the interests of the animal at heart. It is purely selfish motivation because you cannot bear to lose your pet.

He was a farmer so it was purely financial for him to do so. He's not going to spend more money on vets fees and treatment for more than the livestock was worth.

Livestock ( unless you're Tom or Barbara Good ) are not pets so the emotional attachment is very much different.

Pets are part of your family and just like children it's your responsibility to look after their welfare and health.

A vet will/should not offer treatment if the outlook is not going to offer a good quality of life.

Lastly, going by your views on the subject I bet you're very glad that you didn't get seriously injured or ill in your childhood.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here