Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclist on illegal bike who killed a pedestrian on manslaughter charged 'blamed victim'

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So, He gets off because of a 150 year old law!. Well, his disrespectful attitude has made him a target now for motorists.
I can't see him living long the prick.

It's the opposite isn't it? He's been found guilty under the 150 year old law.

Unless I misunderstood the news, He can't be prosecuted for manslaughter

The prosecution for bodily harm was under an 1861 law, which was originally drawn up for badly driving horse-drawn carriages. The charge of manslaughter against a cyclist was unprecedented and justified by the prosecution on the grounds that Alliston took deliberate steps that made his riding dangerous (i.e. he rode dangerously and without a front brake). Every now and then, laws are tested this way.

Charges of death by dangerous or careless driving only apply to people in charge of motorised vehicles so cannot be used when a pedestrian is run over by a cyclist.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Scapegoat

https://thecyclingsilk.blogspot.co....showComment=1503515815400#c345943401098619244

My best guess is on my bike, I could not have stopped in time from 18 mph (I cycle at 15 mph because of this*) but I would have hit the pedestrian at a slower speed, say 5 to 8 mph and that is with properly aligned hydraulic rimmed brakes. (*racing bikes pass me at this speed)

I think there is an offence of dangerous cycling but it does not occur a possible prison sentence. So the prosecution went for the old charge on the statute books. Even on the old charge it could not have been a prison sentence in the Magistrates Court, so the Manslaughter charge sent it to the Old Bailey.

There is a backlash against cyclists. Don't stop to argue it out with a pedestrian. They are not going to be rational.

Guilty of dangerous cycling (not what he was charged with). Not so sure about the pedalling furiously causing bodily harm charge? Not decided which way I would have voted if I was on the jury. As the defendant did not have a competent defence, probably guilty (reluctantly)?.

Last edited:

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
https://thecyclingsilk.blogspot.co....showComment=1503515815400#c345943401098619244

My best guess is on my bike, I could not have stopped in time from 18 mph (I cycle at 15 mph because of this*) but I would have hit the pedestrian at a slower speed, say 5 to 8 mph and that is with properly aligned hydraulic rimmed brakes. (*racing bikes pass me at this speed)

I think there is an offence of dangerous cycling but it does not occur a possible prison sentence. So the prosecution went for the old charge on the statute books. Even on the old charge it could not have been a prison sentence in the Magistrates Court, so the Manslaughter charge sent it to the Old Bailey.

There is a backlash against cyclists. Don't stop to argue it out with a pedestrian. They are not going to be rational.

Guilty of dangerous cycling[/B] (not what he was charged with).

The court say he is guilty of being a danger, a moron, not a shred of remorse or social awareness. Oh and he is a cyclist...:wink:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The court say he is guilty of being a danger, a moron, not a shred of remorse or social awareness. Oh and he is a cyclist...:wink:

65% of jurors are car drivers, and so is everybody in Court.

I expect they made him feel guilty, or else he would have defended himself properly, unless he was a moron.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Just tested 18 mph stop with hydraulic rim brakes. Piece of cake to stop in three bike lengths or under six metres. Down to 9 mph in 3 metres.

Last edited:

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Just tested 18 mph stop with hydraulic rim brakes. Piece of cake to stop in three bike lengths or under six metres. Down to 9 mph in 3 metres.

Guess that is the main point, he had no brakes, fixed wheel at back so only way to slow down was pressure on pedals, an ex-track rider equated it to using your handbrake to stop a car. If all cyclists where sensible & considerate maybe more car drivers would be more considerate too.

Equally pedestrians don't always help themselves, completely obsessed with their phones. A friend cycling on a cycle path had to take evasive action to avoid a pedestrian who stepped out in front of him, he missed them but ended up with a broken arm, don't think the pedestrian was even aware of the harm they had caused. Basically we should all stop being so self obsessed & show more consideration & respect for each other

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Guess that is the main point, he had no brakes, fixed wheel at back so only way to slow down was pressure on pedals, an ex-track rider equated it to using your handbrake to stop a car. If all cyclists where sensible & considerate maybe more car drivers would be more considerate too.

Equally pedestrians don't always help themselves, completely obsessed with their phones. A friend cycling on a cycle path had to take evasive action to avoid a pedestrian who stepped out in front of him, he missed them but ended up with a broken arm, don't think the pedestrian was even aware of the harm they had caused. Basically we should all stop being so self obsessed & show more consideration & respect for each other

I bet that was one not recorded in the accident stats.

They are not really cyclepaths though. They are shared use paths.

Dentist estimated a bill of £10,000 upwards (that was more than Kit Napier cost) to fix my teeth after with a woman with a pram stepped out into the road in front of me. I reckon 5% of bicycle accidents are caused by pedestrian collisions.

It's not really practical to slow down very time you pass a pedestrian on the pavement that looks like they may step out. Cars don't. Cyclist is just as likely (if not more so) to get killed.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Charlie Alliston: Cyclist detained over pedestrian death

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41306738

A cyclist who knocked over and killed a 44-year-old woman in east London has been sentenced to 18 months in a young offenders' institution.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here