Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who did you think was the most exciting signing Albion have made

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
For me the greatest excitement was CMS. Not because I thought he would be the best player we would ever have, but because of what he represented at the time. He had just won the playoffs single handedly for Peterborough and was a target for several good clubs. Not only did it show our intent but it showed we could compete to sign 'good' players. I saw it as real evidence that we were now in shape to maintain a challenge in the championship and even get promoted. He may have been a disappointment but his signing represented a real turning point in our ambition and fortunes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Vincente was known to be injury prone and past it when he joined us. Yes he gave us some brief moments of his ability but to me the biggest signing ever by us was in 1964 signing Bobby Smith from Spurs who 6 months earlier had been Englands centre forward at Wembley.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't think it matters if you didn't know whom he was before, once we signed him you found out and that dictated how excited you'd be etc - so same principle for any exciting future transfers we make.

Not true, as I said my Valencia supporting mate put doubts in my head. Excited yes, but I have been more excited by other signings, at the time. LuaLua was one, that was right up there with the CMS excitement.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Alan Biley from Portsmouth. A useless tit in the end, but I was very pleased when he signed. Also LuaLua, I was over the moon when we signed him permanently.

Last edited:

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I remember getting quite excited about Paul Kitson, though I was probably on my own.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
This.

I'm sure older fans will mention Bobby Smith and the shock of an England striker joining a 4th division team but Vicente was a world class player, a real name. It was a signing that really made me excited

Bobby Smith the first was like signing Wayne Rooney now (if we were in League Two). Perhaps, even more so!

Brian Clough second. Third is an open question? Nobby Lawton a contender. Mark Lawrenson/Gary Williams?

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Probably Kevin Bremner. He looked really good against us for Reading (along with his mate Trevor Senior), I was surprised when Barry (out) signed him.

More recently Vicente (although I didn't realise what we had signed until I did a bit of research) and Bobby the return.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Cloughie for me, I was only young and couldn't believe he would come to a club as small as us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
First time he was an unknown 20 year old who had most recently played for Bath!!

Nope he had had an excellent loan period here before we SIGNED him which is what the thread is about.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Zamora re-signing. Never been that happy with a signing before. Watching his successes from afar with a mixture of love and jealousy ever since he left us only for him to come back for one last tilt was just too much :O

D

Deleted User X18H

Nope he had had an excellent loan period here before we SIGNED him which is what the thread is about.
Yep he signed on loan. You have to it's one of the rules.

Vicente for me. Interviewing him was astonishing.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Brian Clough, now it would be like Jose Mourinho leaving Chelsea to go to Bristol Rovers

Bobby Smith the first would have been like Wayne Rooney going to Colchester United.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
For me ,signing BZ was Dick Knights greatest footballing coup,we all loved BZ on loan and was told there was just "No Chance " !!!! (ps.DK is as close to God as it gets by the way )

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I was pretty excited by Mickey Thomas but what a disaster he turned out to be. Zamora's first signing was special because we were already optimistic but getting him days before the season started seemed like the icing on the cake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here