Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Never a red + we had boro bricking it

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
In my opinion there was no malicious intent and Strphens was genuinely going for (and got) the ball. However it was high, risky and aggressive and did lead to the injury. Very hard one for any referee. Probably a yellow card would have been fairer. The extent of the injury should not affect the card. Definitely well worth an appeal, but my guess is that it will fail.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Exactly gives me hope this one might be successful, but have a feeling due to the occasion the FA won't follow through with it as it would undermine promotion for Boro

Exactly this. No chance of an appeal being upheld as it is an admittance of a massive officiating blunder in a game worth £170 million.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
In my opinion there was no malicious intent and Strphens was genuinely going for (and got) the ball. However it was high, risky and aggressive and did lead to the injury. Very hard one for any referee. Probably a yellow card would have been fairer. The extent of the injury should not affect the card. Definitely well worth an appeal, but my guess is that it will fail.

Please explain then what you would have Stephens do in that situation. Not challenge for the ball in case Ramirez hurts himself?

IMHO Stephens has got to the ball way before Ramirez.

If you asked any Premier League player I reckon 100% of them would say they would have done exactly what Stephens did.

Our players were complaining first of all about the giving of a foul. Then couldn't believe the yellow coming out. A really bad decision which will be hard for the team to come to terms with so that they can move on.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Drivel

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
A few comments on here about Dean bottling it, but from what I recall, nobody in the ground was expecting the red. It came as a total surprise

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
I'm still bemused by the decision. Stephens got to the ball first. He was kicked by Ramirez who was slower into the challenge who as a consequence was caught by Stephens accidentally. Stephens has been punished for better anticipation and speed
There was general surprise and astonishment amongst the fans at the ground

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

High? My arse...aggressive but not over aggressive....He's there to get the ball not be a pansy...with all due respect

I think Stephens was very unlucky but it was a borderline yellow-red. I'd dispute though that we ever had Boro bricking it, our goal came very unexpectedly and generally our creative, attacking play today was very disappointing. This is the real reason we failed today, rather than the ref.

theboybilly

We were going to win that game. When we got the equaliser Boro were looking spent. I couldn't believe how that goal knocked the stuffing out of them. Even at 1-0 they were shaky enough at the back.....all we had to do was keep asking questions. If we could have got Skalak on instead of Murphy we would have ran out comfortable winners.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think Stephens was very unlucky but it was a borderline yellow-red. I'd dispute though that we ever had Boro bricking it, our goal came very unexpectedly and generally our creative, attacking play today was very disappointing. This is the real reason we failed today, rather than the ref.

I think you should give some credit to there defence.....11 on the park helps!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
No red from me either.

You can be assured though that it won't be over turned either.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Thought that was an awful foul, to be fair and deserved a sending off.

is a player not expected to go for the ball in " the richest single game on the planet"......Dale went for the ball and got it , Ramirez attempted to get the ball also and basically his shin hit Stephens' foot just as much as Stephens' foot hit his shin.....two professional footballers both attacking the ball , bad bit of contact but the ref got it wrong with the staright red and in doing so has put us in a very bad position....nice one ref....you over reacting bell-end....!!

Canfan

Nov 8, 2014
Beyond Hope
Do you not think he gave every possible foul to Boro and ignored several clear fouls on Brighton in the second half in particular? That's the way it seemed to me. The lino also gave a foul against Stephens in the first half for a good ball winning tackle. Not to mention failing to spot the offside on the Boro goal.

Yes.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Studs up will always be a red card.

Studs up in a challenge or tackle. It wasn't either? Are you saying that when trying to control or pass a free ball 2ft off the ground you can't lift your foot?
The studs up thing is only in a tackle on a player and then only if you make contact. Stephen didn't make contact, Ramirez did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here