Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much money would the club have made from hosting the 2 Rugby World Cup games?...

I wouldn't think so, as that would have a negative effect on the club's FFP position, which is not what TB would want.

From note 19 of the 2012/13 accounts for The Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club Limited (this is the entity that is the FL member):

"The Company rents the American Express Community Stadium for a rent of £1 million per annum from a fellow subsidiary company, The Community Stadium Limited. The rental charge is effective from 1 April 2013."

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Blantently needs to be a commemorative statue (if the Japanese are paying).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
From note 19 of the 2012/13 accounts for The Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club Limited (this is the entity that is the FL member):

"The Company rents the American Express Community Stadium for a rent of £1 million per annum from a fellow subsidiary company, The Community Stadium Limited. The rental charge is effective from 1 April 2013."
I stand corrected.

Does TB own the Community Stadium Ltd, and how does that effect our FFP results?

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
30 k a game......rough guess... end of season piss up money...no more.

E&Y report shows economic benefit to Brighton of 46M. Doesn't breakdown benefit to BHAFC however. I would have hoped that club could have cleared 500K over the two events but apparently way off the mark.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
E&Y report shows economic benefit to Brighton of 46M. Doesn't breakdown benefit to BHAFC however. I would have hoped that club could have cleared 500K over the two events but apparently way off the mark.

i think that the ground has been called the brighton community stadium for the games would indicate that the bulk of the money will go to the community , not the club.....my thoughts only...like i say token , corner flags and net money ...not a lot more..!

I stand corrected.

Does TB own the Community Stadium Ltd, and how does that effect our FFP results?

BHAFC Ltd and TCS Ltd are both subsidiaries of Brighton and Hove Albion Holdings Ltd, Tony Bloom is the majority shareholder in the latter so effectively controls the entire shooting match.
I really don't know for sure how this impacts our FFP return, if at all; El Pres is probably the best qualified to comment if he's around today. Incidentally, the Lancing Training Ground is also owned by TCS Ltd and similarly rented to the football club.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I very much doubt the club got a percentage of profits from catering or merchandise or I believe it would have all been done differently.

Madness having only one Heineken bus serving booze outside the ground as the queues were enormous.

The wandering beer sellers ran out within seconds.

The pop-up tents selling (cr*p) merchandise were few and far between and, the ones I passed, shut after the game.

None of the party of 11 I was with managed to find anyone to purchase a programme before the game.

Someone or other missed a trick by not capitalising on the potential to make an awful lot more cash.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

So Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club Limited pay an anuual rent, but does that mean that any other entity hiring the facilities would hire them from the tennant, i.e. the football club, or the landlord, Tony's holding company. I would have thought the Football Club is a leasehold tenant and would receive the payment for any hiring of the facilities.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Surely the benefit is principally for the city rather than the club? A decent bit of international advertising for Brighton. The club may have been strong-armed into making the ground available, but I doubt it given, as someone pointed out above, the leverage they get for the hotel application and all the other planning permissions / variations we're going to need down the line and for general goodwill. Can't imagine the club had any hesitation at all in supporting the bid as long as they weren't going to lose money.

el punal

I very much doubt the club got a percentage of profits from catering or merchandise or I believe it would have all been done differently.

Madness having only one Heineken bus serving booze outside the ground as the queues were enormous.

The pop-up tents selling (cr*p) merchandise were few and far between and, the ones I passed, shut after the game.

None of the party of 11 I was with managed to find anyone to purchase a programme before the game.

Someone or other missed a trick by not capitalising on the potential to make an awful lot more cash.

The someone or other is definitely not the club. Heineken are one of the main sponsors of the Rugby World Cup, hence the reason why various beers/drinks that we Albion fans are familiar with were not allowed to be sold. This probably applies to the catering providers as well.

From the information I was given the club rented out the stadium to RWC who then permit their own sponsors/partners to supply their products. Whether Sodexho were involved (as the club's caterers) to provide serving staff and to ensure sufficient stock holding I don't know. Perhaps someone can elaborate on this.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Yep. At Wembley for NZ match, eat and drank loads, merchandise queues not too bad and programme was very easy to get (but £10!!!)

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
'Not a lot' as Paul Daniels would say.
However it is mainly about exposure.
I imagine American Express are the most pleased party, plenty of their adverts too in the ad breaks.

Forget the money. As long as it didn't lose us money it doesn't matter.

Surely the best thing about the weekend (and Saturday especially) was the enormous technicolour globally televised fully animated middle finger to all those who tried to block us building a new stadium and to those who doubted we'd ever fill it.

The success of the stadium, the training ground and the successful RWC bid can have done us nothing but good. And who knows more events like this could lead to pressure for funding to improve the railway and transport links to cope with other big events, which would then benefit all of us who use the stadium.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Overtime for the groundstaff - painting different lines and errecting the H posts ... them boys need paying.
Also, cleaners for the changing rooms TWO days running - must of been on double time ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here