Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Question regarding Work Training outside normal working hours.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And "they" will have every "right" to treat her continuing employment in the light of the fact that she is not fully trained and qualified to do the work that is expected of her.

Seriously ... It seems to me that the best way through this problem is for her to follow all available informal channels and enter into sensible conversations aimed at finding a reasonable outcome. Climbing on to a legalistic hobby horse and exploring what the wording of the contract of employment means or doesn't mean is a recipe for unnecessary trouble.

Totally this.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And "they" will have every "right" to treat her continuing employment in the light of the fact that she is not fully trained and qualified to do the work that is expected of her.

Seriously ... It seems to me that the best way through this problem is for her to follow all available informal channels and enter into sensible conversations aimed at finding a reasonable outcome. Climbing on to a legalistic hobby horse and exploring what the wording of the contract of employment means or doesn't mean is a recipe for unnecessary trouble.

I agree to a point ...... but you also don't want to look a push over and it's a careful balancing act. My experience of work with public sector workers, and in particularly public sector managers, is that they are sticklers for rules - little or no flexibility. They have absolutely no right to know 'why' she can't do the dates she's previously highlighted as not possible. Personally, if she doesn't want to kick up a fuss, then I would just lie and give reasons that are quite obvious why she can't attend.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
She should tell them that they are obliged to arrange training within her contacted working hours.
End of.
They have no option.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Indeed lord b, she should have a chat and solve this amicably which im sure will be possible

As a former union rep this is the advice I've given to non union members and if no leeway is given after the "personal chat" they've had the option of joining the union to give them representation.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
She should tell them that they are obliged to arrange training within her contacted working hours.
End of.
They have no option.

Wouldn't that very much depend on whether or not the employer is contracted to carry out the training? ???

In many situations there is only a requirement for a certain number of employees to have a particular qualification.

Again. in the case of my wife, the company offers various training courses without charge but these are held outside normal working hours and without payment nor time off in lieu.

Of course this may be one of the reasons there is such a shortage of care workers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
End of.
They have no option.

The poster said their partner wanted to progress. If someone bowled up to me without any initial discussion and stated "you are obliged to arrange training within my contacted working hours" I'd make a "note" of their personality, diplomacy and their negotiating ability.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Those that dive straight into the the legal/formal route are those that seem to have most problems with inflexible managers/structures - who'd have thought that ?

:whistle:

Last edited:

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
I am in a very similar position and indeed it may be the same training, which was initially hurriedly arranged with limited notice, as a result of which hardly anyone could attend and had to be rearranged. Staff fed back that they needed several months notice and could do maybe one weekend a month over 4 or 5 months but we were ignored and were booked in to 3 weekends within a month, with 1 month's notice given. Luckily I can just about make it (but missing 2 home games) but I would not be prepared to cancel more important arrangements to attend the training, so I would suggest that she sticks to her guns if she feels strongly enough about it and just give generic reasons for her non attendance.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I am in a very similar position and indeed it may be the same training, which was initially hurriedly arranged with limited notice, as a result of which hardly anyone could attend and had to be rearranged. Staff fed back that they needed several months notice and could do maybe one weekend a month over 4 or 5 months but we were ignored and were booked in to 3 weekends within a month, with 1 month's notice given. Luckily I can just about make it (but missing 2 home games) but I would not be prepared to cancel more important arrangements to attend the training, so I would suggest that she sticks to her guns if she feels strongly enough about it and just give generic reasons for her non attendance.

Thanks for that, yes, sounds like the same training.

If you are a STH will you get reimbursed, or are you expected to just take the hit?

Thanks to everyone else for your comments, I think a couple of conversations on Monday is the way to go.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
End of.
They have no option.

Her contract probably states something along the lines of:

You will, on occasion be required to work evenings or weekends.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
End of.
They have no option.

Sledgehammer to crack a nut. Totally ott. Sensible conversation is the way to go. If they demand reasons I would just be making up weddings or christenings!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
As others have already said, a sensible conversation is probably the best way to go.

It's probably likely that they've had to book the training at their optimal time (the dates the majority said they could go for) knowing that some wouldn't be able to make it regardless. I would be astonished if they were expecting every single people to make it as that rarely ever happens, even during work hours. As for asking exactly why she can't make it, nothing wrong with politely informing them that it's not actually any of their concern and that by advising she's unable to make it she's already done her bit.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sensible conversation is the route but is there any reason why she wouldn't advise why she can't do the dates, even though they might not be legally entitled to know. Would show a willingness to cooperate rather then sledgehammer approach of some posters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here