Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Looks like the Ruskies have taken umbrage to British refs

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
When they announced panini stickers we’re selling at 80p a packet I knew we were in for an interesting tournament.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The World Cup can hardly be described as a "sideshow" now can it.

On the subject in hand, FIFA make no secret of the fact that they utterly despise us, so its no great surprise. Although as one of the few countries who have been dabbling with VARS at a high level, you'd have thought they'd want as many officials as possible at their tournament with experience of using it. Oh well.

Absolutely. You do wonder, don't you, since the British Press was so hot on their trail during the bad old days for FIFA. Whatever else you want to say about the British, we are better than most when it comes to fair play and exposing cheats. Not that we are perfect, just eager for a fair deal for all. During the 80s -yes, some time ago, admittedly, I took youth football teams to Denmark and was staggered to see so many British refs there. When I asked the organisers how this was, they said they always advertise in Britain first because they had such implicit faith in the integrity of British refs and their refusal to be bullied from the sidelines. Never forgotten that.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Nothing to do with Russia as it is down to FIFA but it does show that it is not only us supporters who do not rate our refs very highly.

Yes, I am sure that in this instance, the Russians have not decided that. Interesting point you make about our refs; I have been rather disappointed in the standard as I was expecting more this season, though would have to qualify that by saying that I am not an expert. I thought Michael Oliver was poor and Lee Mason was similarly inept - how he missed that penalty was a disgrace, when the whole ground could see it. If we accept that the standard of our refs is questionable -and it is a very big IF, then by FIFA's logic, other countries all over the world cream of refereeing must be better, and I submit that that is a much bigger IF !

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I really can’t think of a good English referee to be honest. There are a few who are just, well, ok, but no one remotely near the quality of Howard Webb.

Agreed. Is it time to start spending some of the Premier League wealth on hiring the best referees from around the world?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here