Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No

Trump has said he wants to withdraw the USA from free trade deals impose tariffs all over the place which will seriusly effect the world economy. He has even gone as far as saying he will take the USA out of the WTO so tit for tat and everyone poorer. As here the ordinary worker voting to be poorer

Not even with Trump's invitation to May to visit the US ASAP ? If the US forges close economic ties with the English speaking world as seems possible then that leaves the EU out in the cold.
I posed the question because a lot of people were saying that the EU would attempt to
bully the U.K. into a weak position. Using that model of foreign and economic policy perhaps the tables have turned a little.
I am not particularly advocating this type of economic policy making but a lot of Liberals seemed perfectly comfortable with the EU using its economic might so I'm presuming they would recognize new dynamics.

(apologies to everyone for my interruption of the intellectual snobbery/ superiority complex fiesta)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Not even with Trump's invitation to May to visit the US ASAP ? If the US forges close economic ties with the English speaking world as seems possible then that leaves the EU out in the cold.
I posed the question because a lot of people were saying that the EU would attempt to
bully the U.K. into a weak position. Using that model of foreign and economic policy perhaps the tables have turned a little.
I am not particularly advocating this type of economic policy making but a lot of Liberals seemed perfectly comfortable with the EU using its economic might so I'm presuming they would recognize new dynamics.

(apologies to everyone for my interruption of the intellectual snobbery/ superiority complex fiesta)

9th phone call after Australia, South Korea,,,,,, just shows how unimportant the UK is to the USA

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ironically, it is not the state of education now, as Spag has been re-introduced into primary schools, and my 7 year-old-granddaughter will sit a national test on this in May. Spag stands for spelling and grammar. After years of trendy educationalists telling us that knowledge of grammar was not important, the result is what you are describing with your daughter. It was not her fault.
As a teacher of German for many years, where grammar is much "tighter" than English, I regularly see incorrect grammar on here, but we are all different, with varying talents and weaknesses, and so never comment on it. Plus those of us younger than, very roughly, 50, will not have been taught grammar at school by and large.
Fair enough, agree with that..........but..........I reserve the right to pull up anyone using 'would of' instead of 'would have' (even if they didn't learn that at school, they should have learned it from NSC by now!) and to positively rip to shreds anyone stupid enough to spell our manager's name as 'Houghton'. :thumbsup:

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Never stops talking the country down so wouldn't be surprised

Personally I don't agree with that statement, some posters on here are a bit deluded about how important the UK is, I'd say [MENTION=20527]studio150[/MENTION] is just trying to balance their expectations a bit.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Personally I don't agree with that statement, some posters on here are a bit deluded about how important the UK is, I'd say [MENTION=20527]studio150[/MENTION] is just trying to balance their expectations a bit.

Maybe I'm taking it off tangent then.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Maybe I'm taking it off tangent then.

Clearly we need new deals once we are fully outside of the EU, I was just surprised that given the 'special relationship' we were well down the list for Trump which would indicate that while we may not be at the back of the queue, we are not at the front either. Also I don't share the tabloid view that Trump winning is a boast for Brexit.

However I would not want us not to have a trade deal with the USA once outside of the EU.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Clearly we need new deals once we are fully outside of the EU, I was just surprised that given the 'special relationship' we were well down the list for Trump which would indicate that while we may not be at the back of the queue, we are not at the front either. Also I don't share the tabloid view that Trump winning is a boast for Brexit.

However I would not want us not to have a trade deal with the USA once outside of the EU.

America looks after America, they always have so expect little and hope for a lot. Trump isn't making good noises about free trade...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If you're saying that BigGully is disadvantaged then of course we should all make allowances for him. If it's just a case of him not showing much respect for our glorious language then perhaps not.

No, I'm not saying that. I didn't bother reading back through the Grammar debate so didn't reach the reason people started playing intellectual one upmanship. I was responding specifically to a poster who thought he/she should be listened to above others. That just isn't going to happen.
BTW I know you were joking !

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

However I would not want us not to have a trade deal with the USA once outside of the EU.[/QUOTE

Of course we are not at the front -he probably phoned several times, was told thATQ

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Really ?
I work with many disadvantaged people and I have complete respect for their opinions. Your good fortune in acquiring a good education does not make me give you more respect. Sorry.

It's got nothing to do with education. I didn't learn literacy at school. I went to King's Manor in Shoreham, a school that was listed as a "failing school" by the Education Secretary while I was there. The school had a record of less than 30% of students achieving 5 GCSEs year after year. In 2007, just before that school was shut down and reborn as Shoreham Academy, only 23% achieved those 5 GCSEs.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_Manor_Community_College

My school was shit and I learned **** all there. My literacy comes from a passion for reading books. Which you can pick up in any public library for free.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
When it comes to trade deals, I suspect Trump will be looking at them very carefully. If he spoke any truth at all in his campaign, his priority will be the NAFTA agreement renegotiation, after that it will be to look at the deal in negotiation currently with the EU. When they get around to us, we will know what the other deals look like and have some idea of what will fly, but I will be very surprised if we get a better deal than the EU gets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here