Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
To all those who say it hasn't had a detrimental effect on the economy - well, we haven't actually left yet.

When we do, then expect more stories like this. We are definitely going to lose a lot of jobs in the science and medical sector. It's taken a long time for Britain to be at the forefront of scientific research. What a collossal f**k up.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/17/eu-countries-rush-steal-uk-based-research-projects

If your side were to get a second referendum you would be well advised to advocate the positive case for EU membership. Negative predictions have been proven not to work once already.....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
To all those who say it hasn't had a detrimental effect on the economy - well, we haven't actually left yet.

When we do, then expect more stories like this. We are definitely going to lose a lot of jobs in the science and medical sector. It's taken a long time for Britain to be at the forefront of scientific research. What a collossal f**k up.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/17/eu-countries-rush-steal-uk-based-research-projects

why should we? in amongst the claims and counter claims over the payments for the EU, the fact is we are net contributors to the EU. the government could easily ring fence all funding for science (along with regional development, cultural programmes and even agriculture) and have a dividend to spare - maybe to invest in science and research (much better long term than NHS). so there's a chance that out of the EU we become more prominent in this area, certainly not a certainty that all research will cease and leave for Europe. given that the premier research institution CERN is in Switerzerland, it seems rather academic anyway. and on academia, the top universities is dominated by US and UK institutions, with i think only one from the rest of EU in the top 50.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
So we will lose funding for research from the EU. Who we pay to fund research, and who invest less than 100% of our investment back into the UK. Travesty!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
If your side were to get a second referendum you would be well advised to advocate the positive case for EU membership. Negative predictions have been proven not to work once already.....

I agree with you that the European case should have been presented more positively but not with the implication that negative campaigns don't work. Sometimes they do. IDS claimed that we were more likely to be murdered if we stayed in, Gove prattled on about Turkey joining and millions of Muslims turning up, Boris invoked the Third Reich and Farage produced his 'The Syrians are Coming' poster and threw in threats of foreign types raping our women. And all this against background noises about populations the equivalent of Birmingham's being added to our overcrowded island every ten minutes or something. The real Project Fear worked a treat I'd say.

Jan 30, 2008
I agree with you that the European case should have been presented more positively but not with the implication that negative campaigns don't work. Sometimes they do. IDS claimed that we were more likely to be murdered if we stayed in, Gove prattled on about Turkey joining and millions of Muslims turning up, Boris invoked the Third Reich and Farage produced his 'The Syrians are Coming' poster and threw in threats of foreign types raping our women. And all this against background noises about populations the equivalent of Birmingham's being added to our overcrowded island every ten minutes or something. The real Project Fear worked a treat I'd say.
WELL THEY WERE SEXUALLY ASSAULTING WOMEN IN Cologne, GIVE IT A REST AND GO TO BED:clap:
regards
DR

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Sure, both sides indulged in negative campaigning. However Leave had an advantage because a positive case for something new could be made. Remain fell into the trap of responding with a negative spin on the positive Leave case and making ever more outlandish claims. It was also a mistake to dismiss out of hand and ridicule Leave because by so doing large numbers of the population were being insulted... And this is still going on. Referring back to a previous discussion about loss of trust in the political establishment perhaps this happened in part amidst these insults.
I stand by my point that Remain may have carried the day if it had outlined the positive aspects of EU membership and refrained from the superior dishing out of insults. It may also have helped if some of the fears raised by Leave had been treated respectfully and the more outlandish claims ignored.
You lost in part because your leader was David Cameron and he is a negative campaigner (see Scottish referendum). DC set the terms of the debate and unfortunately for you this filtered down even as far as the conduct of the debate on forums such as NSC.
My intelligence was continually insulted and I have to say that didn't half irritate....it seems incredible to me that anyone can think that one can persuade someone of a case by insulting them.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Negative campaigns don’t work when its all you have to resort to because you struggle to find the positives that you are looking for.
There were plenty of negatives concerning the EU to keep all leavers happy. They were a gift that kept on giving.

Its clear from what you have written that you deliberately mis interpreted the information given to you or flippantly misrepresen it to fit your pre determined stance.
This was a common theme carried out by project fear, fortunately most people saw through it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Negative campaigns don’t work when its all you have to resort to because you struggle to find the positives that you are looking for.
There were plenty of negatives concerning the EU to keep all leavers happy. They were a gift that kept on giving.

Its clear from what you have written that you deliberately mis interpreted the information given to you or flippantly misrepresen it to fit your pre determined stance.
This was a common theme carried out by project fear, fortunately most people saw through it.

So what was the real message behind Farage's poster that [MENTION=12947]Lincoln Imp[/MENTION] referred to, please let us know how this was misinterpreted

D

Deleted member 22389

So what was the real message behind Farage's poster that @Lincoln Imp referred to, please let us know how this was misinterpreted

What does the poster say to you?

What is shows me is that the EU is at breaking point, the poster shows the truth about the numbers of people arriving in the EU everyday. To get offended about this poster is just plain silly.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Sure, both sides indulged in negative campaigning. However Leave had an advantage because a positive case for something new could be made. Remain fell into the trap of responding with a negative spin on the positive Leave case and making ever more outlandish claims. It was also a mistake to dismiss out of hand and ridicule Leave because by so doing large numbers of the population were being insulted... And this is still going on. Referring back to a previous discussion about loss of trust in the political establishment perhaps this happened in part amidst these insults.
I stand by my point that Remain may have carried the day if it had outlined the positive aspects of EU membership and refrained from the superior dishing out of insults. It may also have helped if some of the fears raised by Leave had been treated respectfully and the more outlandish claims ignored.
You lost in part because your leader was David Cameron and he is a negative campaigner (see Scottish referendum). DC set the terms of the debate and unfortunately for you this filtered down even as far as the conduct of the debate on forums such as NSC.
My intelligence was continually insulted and I have to say that didn't half irritate....it seems incredible to me that anyone can think that one can persuade someone of a case by insulting them.
Sums it up perfectly.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I blame Corbyn, imbecile

On the assumption you are being serious, you really shouldn't.

Notwithstanding whether or not deep down he genuinely wants to remain in the EU, the facts are that even if he had campaigned for remain vigorously he would not have made any difference.

Jo Cox was shot dead in her constituency and was like many of her PLP peers vigorously pro EU. Her constituency still voted leave........in her constituency it is likely the dynamic between leave and remain changed because of this event, but it was still not enough for remain to carry the day.

Jeremy Corbyn, could have set himself on fire in an act of self immolation to demonstrate his commitment to the EU and we would still have voted leave.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Jeremy Corbyn half heartedly campaigned to remain and has been castigated for it, allowing his opponents to try to oust him.

Theresa May half heartedly campaigned to remain and was made Prime Minister.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Jeremy Corbyn half heartedly campaigned to remain and has been castigated for it, allowing his opponents to try to oust him.

Theresa May half heartedly campaigned to remain and was made Prime Minister.

Therefore both were Eurosceptics, the Labour party are not and the Tory party are and the vote went to Leave.

It delivers different outcomes and is not the same thing.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Jeremy Corbyn, could have set himself on fire in an act of self immolation to demonstrate his commitment to the EU and we would still have voted leave.

disagree, Corbyn as leader of the Labour party had a position to take a lead, if he had argued clearly for being in the EU he could have taken a significant number of Labour loyalists that way. as it was his position was vague and with a history of being anti-europe (against free movement of people or capital in principle), so most of his tribe where without leadership and went off to make up their own mind. great for the principle of direct democracy, not so great for the remain campaign. note, some of the same could be said for the Cameroon, if they'd argued for the EU instead of against leaving.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
disagree, Corbyn as leader of the Labour party had a position to take a lead, if he had argued clearly for being in the EU he could have taken a significant number of Labour loyalists that way. as it was his position was vague and with a history of being anti-europe (against free movement of people or capital in principle), so most of his tribe where without leadership and went off to make up their own mind. great for the principle of direct democracy, not so great for the remain campaign. note, some of the same could be said for the Cameroon, if they'd argued for the EU instead of against leaving.
Or perhaps, just for once, Corbyn was smarter than his detractors think. Maybe he realised that, unlike the PLP who are almost universally Europhiles, vast swathes of Labour voters in Labour heartlands didn't share the Westminster bubble's blinkered view of a wonderful future ahead in the sunny uplands of the EU, and wanted to vote leave. The referendum results show that he may have been right on this occasion.
Not that I'm saying he's often right, mind!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I think your underlying point about Labour heartland voters is right although I doubt Corbyn knows it.

The Labour Party was established, via their unions, by working people to protect their interests. From the start the party's supporters were therefore those workers and their families, plus sections of what was then called the intelligentsia. Things are more complicated now.

It seems to me that the party's natural constituency can now be split at least four ways: 1. Those among the traditional working classes who rely, though little or no fault of their own, on the succour and support of the state and its agencies. 2. Those with an ideological attachment to the traditional aims of the left. 3. The liberal middle-classes. 4. Aspirational working class or ex-working class voters.

Labour's problem is that it can only really rely on those first two groups. The liberals in group 3 are shaky - if Labour moves left they will tend to look elsewhere on the ballot paper. Group 4 is the relevant one here. Most of the 'working class' people I grew up with are to the right of me. They are not necessarily philistines but they have a big interest in the wellbeing of their families and they tend to be socially right wing. They are anti-immigration. They are just as likely to vote UKIP as Labour and, on 23 June, that is what they effectively did. I cannot for the life of me see a Corbyn-led Labour Party getting them back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here