Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Today's the day...

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My neighbour is having his fence painted. May sit and watch it dry. Sorry, I'm an old guy and phones are for calling people.
Sent from my hand me down Alcatel onetouch.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Turn off for me is no headphone jack. I don't want to have to buy a decent quality pair of blueteeth headphones as well as a phone. I will though, eventually.

This, pretty much.

Just seems like another Apple move to squeeze more money out of people.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've just popped them in my ears. I feel like I'm underwater!

My current ones have a shorter battery life than I'd like and if I don't charge them at work they won't last for the journey home. However, I have popped them in anyway to block out the chatter on the train, so I can concentrate on my book

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
You're a damn prick teaser Bozza - and there was me thinking you were going to be using your ITK status and talking about this.....

Yes, it's new iPhone announcement day and what can be more exciting than that (other than the Albion signing a 4th striker)?

.......instead of wittering on about the new iPhone!!

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
32GB being the standard size now. No such thing as a 16GB. Good news in my opinion. Even better news as the costs will remain the same!

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
You sound like my kind of man. Mac updates to both the Pro and Air are due too, but they may not be announced today. I'll be keeping an eye on that too.

iOS 10 has been out in beta form for a while - I'm pretty sure there's no user profile functionality I'm sorry to say.

Just reading through the iOS 10 release notes, shame that. In 9.3 you can have 'Shared iPad' which is the School version that requires an MDM, really want them to roll it out to home use. Can't just be me who doesn't want their partner/children messing up their game scores or having their YouTube recommended viewing coming up with silly animals.

Funny story, yesterday I was looking at new cars, she knew I was because the house iPad started having lots of adverts up for Audi. When she uses it, I get targeted for holidays, clothes etc.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
32GB being the standard size now. No such thing as a 16GB. Good news in my opinion. Even better news as the costs will remain the same!

Agreed on the 32gb thing. 16gb is ridiculously small for modern usage, particularly given that iOS can eat up nearly half of that before you even start using the phone.

I'm not sure I agree on the pricing, certainly in the UK. Given the post-Brexit devaluation of Sterling, I wouldn't be surprised if we will have to pay more than the current pricing structure for the 6s and 6s Plus. But, on the positive side, at least we've got out country back etc.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
My iPhone 5 does everything I need it to. Granted with my nude life proof case. Phone is now waterproof and very shock proof. Use the Bluetooth to play music into my motorcycle helmet and with the life proof bike attachment I just install Tom tom and it's my fully waterproof GPS on the bike! £16 all in a month unlimited everything and 6gb, job done.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I have a Galaxy S6 for my personal phone and an iPhone 6S for work. I've been with Samsung since the Galaxy S3 after trying and failing to get on with an HTC One, so was intrigued to see what an iPhone would bring to the table.

It's great for emails and for sorting my calendar etc (better than my Samsung could I reckon), and the visual voicemail thing is handy, but it just feels like it could never be more than a business phone for me. Android gives a lot more flexibility and it just feels more fun to use and more personal than an iPhone.

It'd take something pretty special to prevent me getting the S7 or waiting for the S8, and from the info being leaked out so far, it doesn't sound like this version of the iPhone will do enough to persuade me to make the change. We shall see. I've read that the one coming out next year is going to be a pretty special one to mark the 10th anniversary of the iPhone, will be interesting to see how true that is.

Getting rid of the headphone jack seems like the beginning of a ploy to push Beats bluetooth headphones to me, and they are well overpriced for the sound quality you get; they're ultimately just a fashion accessory. Shame really as the earphones you get with the iPhone are surprisingly decent quality and I've been using them quite a bit recently with my Samsung. Can't see them including Bluetooth headphones so assume the standard ones would go into the charging port? Would be a drawback if that were the case.

I was lucky to get a 6S as the company has since realised that they are far too expensive to just dish out, so people have started being issued with Windows phones :lolol: Hasn't gone down particularly well with a lot of people.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Agreed on the 32gb thing. 16gb is ridiculously small for modern usage, particularly given that iOS can eat up nearly half of that before you even start using the phone.

I'm not sure I agree on the pricing, certainly in the UK. Given the post-Brexit devaluation of Sterling, I wouldn't be surprised if we will have to pay more than the current pricing structure for the 6s and 6s Plus. But, on the positive side, at least we've got out country back etc.

Prices to remain static
Smallest storage size to increase to 32GB for same cost
256GB model at the top end
The iPhone cost rarely varies from year to year, and price rumors from Weibo suggest just that.

That means the iPhone 7 price will be around US$649 (£539, AU$1079), but here's the good news: for that money you'll apparently get 32GB of storage rather than 16GB.

At the top end it will be more expensive than the US$849 / £699 / AU$1379 iPhone 6S 128GB, but you'll apparently get 256GB of storage.

There's some confusion over whether there will be a 64GB or 128GB 'middle option': a leak from WeChat, spotted by BGR, agree on the prices for all three sizes, with the middle choice coming in at 6088 yuan, which is the same price as the mid-sized (64GB) iPhone 6S in China, around £619 / US$749 / AU$1229.

The sources can't agree on is whether you'll get 64GB of storage or 128GB for that money - 32GB, 64GB and 128GB options seem the most likely.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I have a Galaxy S6 for my personal phone and an iPhone 6S for work. I've been with Samsung since the Galaxy S3 after trying and failing to get on with an HTC One, so was intrigued to see what an iPhone would bring to the table.

It's great for emails and for sorting my calendar etc (better than my Samsung could I reckon), and the visual voicemail thing is handy, but it just feels like it could never be more than a business phone for me. Android gives a lot more flexibility and it just feels more fun to use and more personal than an iPhone.

It'd take something pretty special to prevent me getting the S7 or waiting for the S8, and from the info being leaked out so far, it doesn't sound like this version of the iPhone will do enough to persuade me to make the change. We shall see. I've read that the one coming out next year is going to be a pretty special one to mark the 10th anniversary of the iPhone, will be interesting to see how true that is.

Getting rid of the headphone jack seems like the beginning of a ploy to push Beats bluetooth headphones to me, and they are well overpriced for the sound quality you get; they're ultimately just a fashion accessory. Shame really as the earphones you get with the iPhone are surprisingly decent quality and I've been using them quite a bit recently with my Samsung. Can't see them including Bluetooth headphones so assume the standard ones would go into the charging port? Would be a drawback if that were the case.

I was lucky to get a 6S as the company has since realised that they are far too expensive to just dish out, so people have started being issued with Windows phones :lolol: Hasn't gone down particularly well with a lot of people.

I have an S6. Lovely Phone.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm also bemoaning that the wife has arranged an evening out. Not happy at all.

A bit like [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] my iPhone 6 has suffered from sweat seeping up the headphone jack. Initially I had a sweat stain on inside of the screen, and a few keyboard issues. Went out for a long run at the weekend in the rain, and since then the iPhone screen has been regularly conking out, so today can't come quick enough.

Not sure whether to go for the iPhone 7 or 7 Plus, the latter is rumoured to have two cameras on the back, but may be too big to take out running.

Also on the wish list is a new MacBook Pro, and possibly a watch, although I love my Garmin 630.

Fortunately I have a tech budget to spend at work trying out new things, so will do my best to put some of these through as part of the day job.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I'm getting too old for all of this. Why can't I have been born in the nineties? :cry:

Football scores, radio (with headphones) on train, video messaging. Happy with that lot!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm getting too old for all of this. Why can't I have been born in the nineties? :cry:

Football scores, radio (with headphones) on train, video messaging. Happy with that lot!

I remember having a PAGER at Withdean that gave me live score updates, scrolling the scores across its little LCD screen. I thought that was CUTTING EDGE, and it ensured I usually had a cluster of people hunched round me at half time.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I remember having a PAGER at Withdean that gave me live score updates, scrolling the scores across its little LCD screen. I thought that was CUTTING EDGE, and it ensured I usually had a cluster of people hunched round me at half time.

Hope it was waterproof.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here