Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I've asked this elsewhere, but thought I might as well ask here too and get some advice from the geeks:

I've recently upgraded my groupset to Di2 Ultegra on mt TT bike. New chain and cassette included.

I've dropped the chain a couple of times now when shifting from the small ring to the big ring, but the chain is dropping between small ring and the frame. It seems that the chain moves up to the big ring, doesn't quite catch and then falls back to the small ring and past it until it's dropped.

It happens under relative light load. Not had any issues shifting from big ring to the small ring.

Any ideas on what causes this and how to fix it?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I've asked this elsewhere, but thought I might as well ask here too and get some advice from the geeks:

I've recently upgraded my groupset to Di2 Ultegra on mt TT bike. New chain and cassette included.

I've dropped the chain a couple of times now when shifting from the small ring to the big ring, but the chain is dropping between small ring and the frame. It seems that the chain moves up to the big ring, doesn't quite catch and then falls back to the small ring and past it until it's dropped.

It happens under relative light load. Not had any issues shifting from big ring to the small ring.

I'm afraid electronic shifting is a mystery to me. Might have to be a bike shop job.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Do they still have some kind of limiting screws?

edit: http://www.artscyclery.com/learningcenter/shimanofrontderailleurs.html

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

The folks at bikeradar say the high limter isn't letting it move out far enough. I can understand having your lower limiter to low would cause it to come off on the inside and having the high limter too high would cause it to fall off the outside, but couldn't work out why it was falling off in the opposite direction to how I'm trying to shift. Will have a play later.

Have just cleaned out all the mud from my Speedplay cleats. Did my last 40km ride without being able to clip in :-(

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I use one of these, along with a cheaper cable type lock. I've never had a bike nicked since I started using it 7/8 years ago. Was recommended by a bloke in a bike shop in London with a questionable past in the bike trade! He said they are great because they give no leverage and nowhere to put bolt cutters.

http://www.my-tool-shed.co.uk/p1091401/Masterlock_Street_Cuffs_Cycle_Lock/product_info.html?utm_source=googleversafeed&vfsku=1091401&gpla=pla&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0tCuBRDIjJ_Mlb6zzpQBEiQAyjCoBv0ClEWfWMxV87faVQ2s3HBkgcyk4bg7_qqQAiRPoVUaAoVp8P8HAQ

Got a Kryptonite for £20 in the end and a squirt of WD40 got the existing lock working.

I had already bought a spare crappier bike for £35 (cost of a good lock) to leave at railway stations an when going to the football.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Anybody bought a second hand bike on ebay? It seems a bit like football transfers, knowing very well that the price is upped artifically and there is deadline and you are still not quite sure what you are going to get without trying it out?

I had two prices (one which I thought was fair value) and the second price a litle bit higher cause the right sort of bike was in short supply cause it was not a new one. In the end I got it at a fair price because there were no other bidders and the seller wanted to sell.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was riding this afternoon, but it's just started raining.
So instead I'll just have to lay on the sofa eating jaffa cakes.

Completely ruined my afternoon. :smile:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Geeks, I had an epiphany this morning. A bloody obvious epiphany, but an epiphany nonetheless.

I have not ridden my bike for 6 weeks. In that time it has been degreased, cleaned, regreased and the gears re-indexed, but it has not moved out of the garage/garden.

In that time, I have sorted out my diet, whilst hitting the gym regularly and especially hitting the weights. Over the 6 weeks off the bike, I have lost a stone in weight and toned up lots (thinking of getting back into rugby...).

This morning, in spite of the West Midlands rain, I rode my steed to work - only a short 5k, but I noticed something, and strava backs it up. I am faster. In fact, without trying, I got my second fastest ever time on the one segment my commute takes me through.

So here is my epiphany: Less weight = faster cycling. I know it is bloody obvious, but I have genuinely surprised myself.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Geeks, I had an epiphany this morning. A bloody obvious epiphany, but an epiphany nonetheless.

I have not ridden my bike for 6 weeks. In that time it has been degreased, cleaned, regreased and the gears re-indexed, but it has not moved out of the garage/garden.

In that time, I have sorted out my diet, whilst hitting the gym regularly and especially hitting the weights. Over the 6 weeks off the bike, I have lost a stone in weight and toned up lots (thinking of getting back into rugby...).

This morning, in spite of the West Midlands rain, I rode my steed to work - only a short 5k, but I noticed something, and strava backs it up. I am faster. In fact, without trying, I got my second fastest ever time on the one segment my commute takes me through.

So here is my epiphany: Less weight = faster cycling. I know it is bloody obvious, but I have genuinely surprised myself.

Less weight + Same leg power = faster

Crash dieting will often result in the loss of lean muscle, meaning a reduction in power, meaning an identical or slower time. Controlled weight loss and continued exercise will see your speeds increase.

Strava should give your approx power (in watts). If you've updated the weight in it regularly it will show if your power has changed or not over the same ride.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Don't forget everyone that the Vuelta starts tomorrow. Don't miss out in getting your fantasy team picked on time.
Hopefully SB gets the official thread going before tomorrow.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Topic change. I see Road.cc has a forum conversation on Titanium or Steel for a custom frame. What's your choice and why?

I'd probably pick up painted Titanium. I love the look if Ti, and having been fortunate enough to ride a Ti frame it's got a lovely feel to it in it's natural flex. Steel is probably a metric heck load cheaper than Ti, but I never put a budget restriction in place. Also, if I were going for an unpainted Ti frame I'd probably go for a sturmey-archer hub, and leather handlebar grips.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Bloody cars. Today I decided to have a go at a mini bogey hill; a quick sharp shocker that I previously daftly attempted on returning from illness/injury. It is narrow of course, but at the point of digging in a car appeared so I did the decent thing and stopped. Shocked to see some progress on certain segments given my taking it easy as the roads were wet. Expect the unexpected I guess. Raised seat up to highest I think its ever been. Felt a bit odd at first but all settled in.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

How? Did you not already know they had joint leadership???

AVV would have been a shoe in for me had he not gone so deep in the Tour. I always thought the Vuelta was his main target, hence why I didn't pick him in the TdF. He always scores big in fantasy games regardless though to be fair. This Vuelta has plenty to suit him as well.

I've also gone with Quintana though as I think he has much more left in the tank from the TdF than AVV does, and Quintana won't have one eye on the Worlds either.

Talking of the Worlds, I thought for a minute you'd put Sagan or Canc in your team. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see both of those two go home early from this Vuelta once they've got what they need from it.

Now I've gone and done it, jinxed things good and proper no doubt :facepalm:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
How? Did you not already know they had joint leadership???

AVV would have been a shoe in for me had he not gone so deep in the Tour. I always thought the Vuelta was his main target, hence why I didn't pick him in the TdF. He always scores big in fantasy games regardless though to be fair. This Vuelta has plenty to suit him as well.

I've also gone with Quintana though as I think he has much more left in the tank from the TdF than AVV does, and Quintana won't have one eye on the Worlds either.

Talking of the Worlds, I thought for a minute you'd put Sagan or Canc in your team. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see both of those two go home early from this Vuelta once they've got what they need from it.

Now I've gone and done it, jinxed things good and proper no doubt :facepalm:
What can I say. Cycling coverage is shit in NZ.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here