Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How long before Hughton is poached?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
The only job that would worry me, is if Ireland wanted him as the national manager. I can't see him being tempted by another Prem side outside the top 6, and the top 6 would want a big name if their jobs become available. But I could see the Ireland job being tempting. You would have to imagine that he'd be very proud to manage the country he played for.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Garth Crooks has also been singing Hughtons praises. Below comment is from his weekly BBC Team Of The Week piece:

"Chris Hughton is doing such a fantastic job at Brighton it is almost an indictment that Everton have not approached him to fill their vacancy. I have already recommended Sean Dyche for the post, but I can't mention the Burnley manager without mentioning Hughton in the same breath. Hughton has, unlike Dyche, done the business at a number of clubs and is a conservative manager in the sense that he will not spend a chairman's money recklessly. He is respected by players, in a way the great former Everton manager Harry Catterick was adored by his playing staff, and is perfect for a club like Everton.

Remember Hughton has already handled a big club at Newcastle before being unceremoniously shown the door. Everton, unlike other clubs, don't do flash and that is why Hughton is another excellent candidate."

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Which was everything Poyet had and totally blew - prat and that is putting it mildly

Found this on my facebook feed from 2010

"A manager like Jose Mourinho might be trying to win league titles in
many different countries," said Poyet. "But for most managers, when
everything is working well at a club then the dream is to remain there
for many, many years. Why not?".

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
His value will go up exponentially should we finish in the top half this season, though I think many would wait till next season to see if it wasn't a fluke.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I reckon Chris is living the dream! What more could he possibly want than what he has at Brighton?! I can't imagine there is much that would tempt him away from all he has built here. Someone said elsewhere that Chris's daughter said she envisages him building a real dynasty at our great club. Albion''s Ferguson or Wenger type figure?! Let's hope! There is no manager in the world I would rather have with us!

I was going to post something similar - not with the "Chris's Daughter" bit, because I had forgotten that. But he is capable of and is influencing, I am sure, and contributing to so much more than just what goes on during the match.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
While he keeps his reputation as a defensive manager I think we are safe. None of the big clubs will want him because of that (I hope) and why on earth would he leave us for anything else (blue and white tinted spectacles?).

Lets just hope he stays with us and sees the job through.

I don't really see him as a defensive manager myself. We are defensively organised and disciplined but not defensive minded like a Pulis team. The Norwich fans gave him the reputation for being boring and cautious but that was a product of the boards self fulfilling prophecy and the enviroment.

We are very good defensively but we also carry a real threat in attack so to me we just seem very well balanced more than defensive.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't really see him as a defensive manager myself. We are defensively organised and disciplined but not defensive minded like a Pulis team. The Norwich fans gave him the reputation for being boring and cautious but that was a product of the boards self fulfilling prophecy and the enviroment.

We are very good defensively but we also carry a real threat in attack so to me we just seem very well balanced more than defensive.
Exactly. He was "boring and cautious" here for half a season in an effort to ensure the shower of shit we had didn't get the club relegated, but since then our success has been underpinned by a rock solid back four, the ability to break *very* quickly, and the ability to score from all areas of the pitch (although less so in the Prem). There is nothing particularly defensive-minded about him, he's just very pragmatic - the best managers usually are.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
IMO i don't think he is going anywhere. The clubs he would go to won't be after him (not saying this is right)

Brighton is perfect for him. They have the new ground, the facilities, the chairman, the drive to keep progressing, big attendances, he would have to be mad to leave, plus he got Brighton up to the prem so is already perceived very highly.

He won't leave for a very long time. Which is good for Brighton and good for Chris.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Who would he realistically leave for? The dildo brothers?

I think it'd take a top 6 club to tempt him, and there's no way any of them will go for him.

Absolutely this.

Who do we think will finish 7th this season? Burnley, Watford, Newcastle? Honestly can't see him leaving us for any of them. So, then it's teams with "potential" to get that high, like Everton, or West Ham, but he'd know that their ambition goes beyond 7th, despite them not being able to realistically get there. So it would just be a sacking as soon as an inrealistic "top 6" dream is beyond them.

Nope, I just can't see who he would leave us for that is realistically going to make an approach to him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Depends how much he likes tea sets, plates and dishes really.

Nearly just blew my left kidney out my backside, reading that :bowdown:

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I think he will be hear as long as the relationships are good with TB, PB and the players. Things might get tough when CH wants more money for players and the money isn't available, or if we fail to bring in the quality CH is looking for. But he is doing a fantastically good job with a loyal team behind him, which must give him confidence. He will also want to prove to the clubs that unfairly sacked him what they missed out on. The fact he wasn't shown much loyalty at previous clubs might stand us in good fortune.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
He has teflon on his shoulders at present and held with esteem by the club owner, if we were relegated he would not be dismissed.

Cool hand Luke and he knows this but not milking the situation.

Poyet thought he knew better and now look where he is, I really would be very surprised if Chris left us given the current situation it is not as if he is looking for it, every time a vacancy came up that was attractive off Gus would go gobbing off to the press and all "One day maybe I like that job"..........

Where is Poyet?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Would he go? He's not working with some bat shit crazy chairman. I can see him with us for a few season so yet.

Listening to his interview with Lineker, I noticed he spoke in the third person by saying that Brighton had good momentum for the second half of the season, not we. Watch it again and notice how he talks about us. I reckon he could already be on the move.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
IMO i don't think he is going anywhere. The clubs he would go to won't be after him (not saying this is right)

Brighton is perfect for him. They have the new ground, the facilities, the chairman, the drive to keep progressing, big attendances, he would have to be mad to leave, plus he got Brighton up to the prem so is already perceived very highly.

He won't leave for a very long time. Which is good for Brighton and good for Chris.

No one is mentioning money, it can sway any of us if its the right amount. Big attendances, training grounds etc, we're not the only ones with these facilities.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Not worried one bit about Ireland 'poaching' him. There's no chance that the FAI could AFFORD to do so.

Not that they wouldn't love to have him, I'm sure. One day, when Chris starts feeling worn down by the day to day grind of club management, why not? But it will be once he feels he's done here, not because they've stolen him away.

As someone else has commented, the threat of Paul Barber being tempted elsewhere is probably considerably higher.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Listening to his interview with Lineker, I noticed he spoke in the third person by saying that Brighton had good momentum for the second half of the season, not we. Watch it again and notice how he talks about us. I reckon he could already be on the move.
Now you've started something... :whistle:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here