Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can't see there being a GE just too risky for the Tories, and a new Tory leader seems increasingly unlikely anytime soon as would take 10-12 weeks to complete.

May will carry on but there are just roadblocks all around her. Maybe stay in the CU for whole of UK, get the DUP back onboard and hope for Labour votes

If the DUP vote down the Budget, we're in uncharted territory. Any PM that couldn't get his or her Budget passed would need to resign and a GE would be called BUT a) there's no constitutional reason to do this and May would be very reluctant to cause more chaos and b) the Fixed Term Act means there'd need to be two-thirds majority.

However, if DUP aren't going to play ball, the government is going to grind to standstill - nothing will get passed, yet no Tories will vote for a GE. It would be a complete mess (and the FTA is another one of Cameron's legacy; he really was a dreadful PM).

Because May knows this, she'll do anything to get the DUP onside and it looks like the whole of the UK will now stay in the CU, I'm not quite sure what that will mean for freedom of movement but it does look like the ERG aren't going to be happy in any case.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If the DUP vote down the Budget, we're in uncharted territory. Any PM that couldn't get his or her Budget passed would need to resign and a GE would be called BUT a) there's no constitutional reason to do this and May would be very reluctant to cause more chaos and b) the Fixed Term Act means there'd need to be two-thirds majority.

However, if DUP aren't going to play ball, the government is going to grind to standstill - nothing will get passed, yet no Tories will vote for a GE. It would be a complete mess (and the FTA is another one of Cameron's legacy; he really was a dreadful PM).

Because May knows this, she'll do anything to get the DUP onside and it looks like the whole of the UK will now stay in the CU, I'm not quite sure what that will mean for freedom of movement but it does look like the ERG aren't going to be happy in any case.

With Brexit there is a lot of posturing on both sides from the start, but the DUP are not, they mean it. Northern Ireland's long term existence hangs on it. Lets face it they are a Unionist party

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Anyone still falling for Theresa DisMay's ridiculous GASLIGHTING of the electorate that *No deal is better than a bad deal* ?

*No deal* is the worst possible outcome.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Anyone still falling for Theresa DisMay's ridiculous GASLIGHTING of the electorate that *No deal is better than a bad deal* ?

*No deal* is the worst possible outcome.

[MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=17469]melias shoes[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION]

off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others, but they don't seem to post so much these days :lolol:

(melias shoes is a recent convert having been 'Canada deal all day long' until I explained to him what the Canada deal entailed and how long it took :facepalm:)

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

[MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=17469]melias shoes[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION]

off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others, but they don't seem to post so much these days :lolol:

It's boring that's why. Waste of time and energy. Not long to go now, and all this shit will be over with. Life will continue after Brexit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's boring that's why. Waste of time and energy. Not long to go now, and all this shit will be over with and life will continue.

You reckon? “This” isn’t going away for a long long time. The country is divided and it will take generations to heal the rift. It has only just started.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's boring that's why. Waste of time and energy. Not long to go now, and all this shit will be over with. Life will continue after Brexit.

So your attention span is such that you are now bored with 'all this shit' you voted for, and think it's a 'waste of time and energy'.

Why does that not come as a surprise ?

D

Deleted member 22389

So your attention span is such that you are now bored with 'all this shit' you voted for, and think it's a 'waste of time and energy'.

Why does that not come as a surprise ?

I'm bored of the thread. See you in April 2019.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You reckon? “This” isn’t going away for a long long time. The country is divided and it will take generations to heal the rift. It has only just started.

In the meantime, our taxes are paying for new departements like Ministry for Food Shortages and Ministry for Suicides.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In the meantime, our taxes are paying for new departements like Ministry for Food Shortages and Ministry for Suicides.

That’s if the HMRC can raise enough taxes. I was talking to them about VAT and EC declarations. I was told there was no rush for me as they are two years behind and completely over stretched. I have decided to not bother getting my stuff up to date; no point.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
You'll be back on here before then. Even if it's just to try and find out what it was you voted for :rolleyes:

I wonder if there's a kind of Brexit fatigue seeping in? I think that maybe Leavers are particularly prone to it. It must have all seemed so simple back at the time of the referendum - a straightforward stay or leave binary choice, followed by all the 'out means out' nonsense. Not to mention (but I will) the 'easiest deal in history' trope. And 2 years + later where are we? Even as a miserable, pessimistic, Remainer I couldn't have anticipated 5% of the issues that have subsequently arisen, so what must it be like for Brexiteers?
I'm almost beginning to feel sorry for them. Almost.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That’s if the HMRC can raise enough taxes. I was talking to them about VAT and EC declarations. I was told there was no rush for me as they are two years behind and completely over stretched. I have decided to not bother getting my stuff up to date; no point.

All the government services are understaffed because they've been cut back to the bone. Not one of them is functioning as they should.
The bright idea was to run them down so private companies can run them more 'efficiently'. The Probation Service, for example.
Now we see firms like G4S and Carillion making a dog's dinner of their remits. I won't even go down the route of the train companies!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
All the government services are understaffed because they've been cut back to the bone. Not one of them is functioning as they should.
The bright idea was to run them down so private companies can run them more 'efficiently'. The Probation Service, for example.
Now we see firms like G4S and Carillion making a dog's dinner of their remits. I won't even go down the route of the train companies!

They have also got rid of a lot of long term leases on major offices over the last 10 years as a result of cutting back on administration and austerity. Just in time to be looking for lots of new leases ready for the recruitment drive for Brexit :facepalm:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I wonder if there's a kind of Brexit fatigue seeping in? I think that maybe Leavers are particularly prone to it. It must have all seemed so simple back at the time of the referendum - a straightforward stay or leave binary choice, followed by all the 'out means out' nonsense. Not to mention (but I will) the 'easiest deal in history' trope. And 2 years + later where are we? Even as a miserable, pessimistic, Remainer I couldn't have anticipated 5% of the issues that have subsequently arisen, so what must it be like for Brexiteers?
I'm almost beginning to feel sorry for them. Almost.

I just thought it was just pure embarrassment at being taken in so easily by Nige, Boris and crew :shrug:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The chap I spoke to was quite frank about them being 2 years behind. It’s going to be an utter shambles when new rules come in next year. I was basically told, in not so many words, to not bother.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
They have also got rid of a lot of long term leases on major offices over the last 10 years as a result of cutting back on administration and austerity. Just in time to be looking for lots of new leases ready for the recruitment drive for Brexit :facepalm:

Or just maybe they could join the modern business world and use remote working thus making huge savings on leases. I know central and local government are generally run by simpletons but there is really no need for huge office blocks and expensive leases anymore.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Or just maybe they could join the modern business world and use remote working thus making huge savings on leases. I know central and local government are generally run by simpletons but there is really no need for huge office blocks and expensive leases anymore.

If only it were done with that level of foresight and planning :thumbsup:

Although, In their defence, it's rather hard to plan your staffing levels, infrastructure and office requirements for 6 months time when you don't even know what government departments will be required, let alone functions within those departments.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here