Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The hard facts are: that it's impossible for NI to be outside the customs union without a hard border. In other words, the UK will stay part of the CU, NI and GB will go their separate ways or there'll be a hard border. They may dress it up in fancy words but it will be one of these three options.

Personally I think a lot of the hard core Brexiteers will back down, but the DUP will not and to be honest I can't blame them. If they do it really is the beginning of the end for NI, you can see SF rubbing their hands

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
That's a fair enough reply, but don't you find it a little bit odd that they have started it already when the lorry park was such a bone of contention between the 2 sides, that lorry tailbacks will not happen, that it is all more project fear and then, bingo, up go the cones, what happens if we get a decent deal, does all work stop, i should imagine a lot of money has already been spent before a shovel hit the ground, but it has actually started today.
Contingency plans are usually on paper, drawn up and ready to go if the balloon goes up, not inflating it before you know if you are going to need it.
I would love to know how many EU migrant workers have been taken on for this project.

Deal or no deal, we’ll probably need these improved lorry parks next time the French ferry workers have a hissy fit. I’m also not sure what the nationality of the workers has got to do with it.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Case in point. Somehow it the remainers fault again.
Making contingency plans against your own stupidity is not something to hail as a success.

Quite.

We've taken a sledgehammer to the toilet bowl but we are just deciding on a contingency plan. At the moment we are deciding between letting you shat in the sink or seeing if the budget will stretch to a bucket. If we go with the bucket option you're all going to have to tighten your belts, they're not cheap.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Deal or no deal, we’ll probably need these improved lorry parks next time the French ferry workers have a hissy fit. I’m also not sure what the nationality of the workers has got to do with it.

I was not being contentious, it follows on from an earlier post of mine that many companies are totally reliant on a lot of migrant workers to keep their business running.
I dont know if there are any on the lorry park site, i was just wondering because nobody knows if they are going to stay, leave or get chucked out, leaving a lot of companies in the lurch.
FOM is almost nailed on, a skills base system introduced, we need unskilled and low skilled labour.

I agree about the park needed if the french strike in the future though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Personally I think a lot of the hard core Brexiteers will back down, but the DUP will not and to be honest I can't blame them. If they do it really is the beginning of the end for NI, you can see SF rubbing their hands

The problem that May has is that her 'no deal' option will require a hard border so she has to magic some sort of deal that will keep everyone happy. The DUP threatening to vote down her Budget is a terrifying threat as we could be in for GE before we know it.

What larks.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Look, we have been through this: leave the eu but keep everything. It delivers the referendum result so Brexiteers can not complain, it does not require any additional borders so northern island are happy, we retain the same relationship with the eu so remainers are ok.

:facepalm:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As voted for with extras, actually.

Stop inventing non-existent stuff to suit your argument. The vote was to remain in the EU or to leave the EU. That, and that alone, is what was on the ballot paper. Worm your way out of that, without attempting a complete denial of facts.

I won't come back to bandy words with you - you're too tiresome and with too many silly ideas for that. Just take a good look at yourself, and in particular at some of the things you yourself are saying, and trying to disguise as fact. Just giving you some good advice (you will not be charged for this). Did you not actually readyour ballot paper?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Look, we have been through this: leave the eu but keep everything. It delivers the referendum result so Brexiteers can not complain, it does not require any additional borders so northern island are happy, we retain the same relationship with the eu so remainers are ok.

Don't know about everything, but there's a report tonight that the deal is for the UK to remain in the customs union 'indefinitely'. It will keep the DUP happy but I reckon hardcore Brexiteers will be going crazy.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The problem that May has is that her 'no deal' option will require a hard border so she has to magic some sort of deal that will keep everyone happy. The DUP threatening to vote down her Budget is a terrifying threat as we could be in for GE before we know it.

What larks.

Can't see there being a GE just too risky for the Tories, and a new Tory leader seems increasingly unlikely anytime soon as would take 10-12 weeks to complete.

May will carry on but there are just roadblocks all around her. Maybe stay in the CU for whole of UK, get the DUP back onboard and hope for Labour votes

ERG / disaster Capitalists mob will go nuts but aren't going to back anything but Canada which won't work at all

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
As the economic/political/possible constitutional Brexit crisis unfolds I feel the need to have a pop at Labour (who I generally support) who have shown zero initiative and hold 2 fundamentally contradictory positions:

a) respecting the Leave vote and b) supporting/achieving an outcome that will pass their '6 tests'.

Now the problem is that there are NO leave options that will pass the bloody tests. So while they can hide behind these tests and appear to be objective in voting down anything that May comes up with, they just know thatno set of negotiators (including Starmer who I quite like) could achieve an outcome that would. So it's increasingly obvious that the ploy is to trigger a General Election which they think they'll win (more likely a Hung Parliament with even more chaos in my view).

So for this once I do kind of agree with the May line that they are 'playing politics' (yes, I know, she's one to talk). I strongly suspect that our current crop of politicians will emerge from this fiasco with very little honour, with a just a few exceptions. But I'm buggered if I can think of any.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

The Norway option, as mentioned by Nigel Farage before the referendum.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Don't know about everything, but there's a report tonight that the deal is for the UK to remain in the customs union 'indefinitely'. It will keep the DUP happy but I reckon hardcore Brexiteers will be going crazy.

hardcore brexiteers will just have have their paddy then do one, since they've offered no alternative. the trouble with "no deal" is it crap for both sides of the Irish border. the EU can use this to row back from some of their red lines or stick to them and risk no deal, and pain for Ireland, as May doesn't have much room to maneuver.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here