Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Hunt has put his foot in it tonight with his comments about the EU being like the USSR, no better a diplomat than Johnson was

Certainly one way to go about getting respect from the EU. (the wrong way)

A typical Tory, playing to the conference audience to boost his changes of replacing Mrs May as leader, but showing zero ability to be considered as a statesman.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So we implemented the Equal Pay Act a whole five years before the EEC created their version and we did it because we knew we might join the EEC ? I'm afraid thatbis a very weak claim. If anything we led the way yet the post I was commenting on claimed the EU have led the way on it.

As for monopolies, Microsoft and Google are not monopolies - never have been. But for the sake of this argument let's say they were - they don't appear to be broken up ?

As I said some of the things on that list can be credited to the EU but some are down right distortions of the truth which then brings the whole post into question for its validity.

Pfft

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Morning HT. Now you know I work in the construction industry. Now far from wanting to get rid of foreign workers which Watford zero is trying to imply,I merely want people that are actually qualified to do the job. What it doesn't need is people that claim to be qualified tradesmen whom clearly aren't. Now don't get me wrong there are some good workers that have come here to work and I am good friends with many of them. However as I have said there are far too many that really don't know what they are doing. Now I don't blame them for doing this Afterall they're trying to improve their lot. At the same time if they are not really qualified for the job then they shouldn't be doing it. I feel the are only they are allowed to is because they are paid at a cheaper rate. This then has had a knock on affect on the wages of the real tradesmen. Not so much these days but it definitely kept our wages down. Which let's face it which is what we work for.

Perhaps you should find employment with a company that doesn't hire cowboys. Plenty to choose from. I mean it doesn't say a lot for you that you work for Bodgit 'n' Scarper Ltd, does it!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Quite an interesting thing on the way down to Somerset yesterday. I couldn't believe how many people had covered up the EU flag on their number plates.

My mum who lives down there and who is a Labour Party member and attends local meetings etc, was saying that down that way the feedback that they have received was that people were very much the little englander mentality and were fed up with Europe "dictating" to the uk...which is fair enough, but where people were concerned regarding support for corbyn was this business about nationalising utilities, especially as Hinckley point is being built by EDF with some Chinese money. If they are faced with a continued shitehouse Tory government or a party that would lead to massive job losses in that area if the French pulled out, or were kicked out, it is the devil you know..

Interestingly according to her and the LP analysis, the north is exactly the opposite, in that the vote was more an anti establishment vote.
I never had my mum as a rabid red though...but all she watches is RT.

Ironic. They receive mountains of EU funding in the West.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Since the referendum what I can tell you there seems to be a small increase of British youngsters being given a chance. It's only what I've witnessed and isn't an official statistic. One of which is my son whom has qualified as an electrician. Hardly useless . Also a couple of young lads have been given a chance to learn bricklaying and carve out a career. So all good news .

Cool, when the construction industry and the trades are deregulated (it will happen), your son can fight for a place in the job market against anyone that can buy a screwdriver set from Poundland. We're on our way!!!

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Perhaps you should find employment with a company that doesn't hire cowboys. Plenty to choose from. I mean it doesn't say a lot for you that you work for Bodgit 'n' Scarper Ltd, does it!

If you bothered to read the posts clown you would see I haven't been talking about my employers but other trades. Until you came along it was quite civilised .

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Cool, when the construction industry and the trades are deregulated (it will happen), your son can fight for a place in the job market against anyone that can buy a screwdriver set from Poundland. We're on our way!!!

CLOWN. You really shouldn't bother.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Oh, you're back again.

It's just that when you were telling everyone about your preference for 'no deal' . you seem to have missed my question

Maybe now I've highlighted it, you could answer :shrug:

A clue - (It's USA, Brazil and New Zealand who were the first to raise issues within the first week of submitting our schedules and quotas)

WTF are you on about?! I think my last post on here was about four years ago - but you are more than welcome to send me a link or a screenshot of the post that you alledge I made and I'll be happy to take it from there?! [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
IMG_20180930_214756.jpg

No comment really necessary on this performance from Mrs May

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
View attachment 100959

No comment really necessary on this performance from Mrs May
It's really not that difficult to understand and it couldn't be any clearer - she is trying to ensure that through the negotiations when a deal is finally reached then there will be no need for a 'hard border' ! Admittedly at the m9ment it seems difficult or even unlikely but, nonetheless, that is the whole point of the negotiations!!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
WTF are you on about?! I think my last post on here was about four years ago - but you are more than welcome to send me a link or a screenshot of the post that you alledge I made and I'll be happy to take it from there?! [emoji849]

Your post from yesterday

I'm sure that the vast majority of people on both sides of the argument no the implications of 'no deal and no trade' which are, in fact, two different things.

If we do drop out of the EU with no deal we will immediately revert to WTO rules and tariffs which means, as 18 out of 27 EU countries export more goods to the UK than we export to them, that those tariffs will hit those countries exports harder than the UK's to them - although tariff rates vary sector by sector so, to be fair, a slightly deeper analysis is required.

My question

As you obviously no(sic) the implications of 'no deal' what do you think we should do about the countries who have already raised issues with the WTO schedules we submitted a month ago ?

And where, how and who will collect and implement these tariffs and rules that we immediately revert to ?

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Your post from yesterday

My question
Missed that - as well as your pompous 'no (sic)' but as with everything it would no doubt be the subject of further discussion and negotiation. I don't claim to know the full details of everything that is likely to happen in those circumstances - which is a little similar to the undoubted fact that you haven't got a clue about every detail of EEC/ EU regulations that have come into effect over the last 50 years or so!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Missed that - as well as your pompous 'no (sic)' but as with everything it would no doubt be the subject of further discussion and negotiation. I don't claim to know the full details of everything that is likely to happen in those circumstances - which is a little similar to the undoubted fact that you haven't got a clue about every detail of EEC/ EU regulations that have come into effect over the last 50 years or so!

Well since you know about 'no deal' I would assume that you know we can't 'fall into it' or 'Immediately revert to it', without very significant infrastructure investments including a hard border :facepalm:

It's just that you are giving the impression that you have no idea what 'no deal' means

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
So we implemented the Equal Pay Act a whole five years before the EEC created their version and we did it because we knew we might join the EEC ? I'm afraid thatbis a very weak claim. If anything we led the way yet the post I was commenting on claimed the EU have led the way on it.

As for monopolies, Microsoft and Google are not monopolies - never have been. But for the sake of this argument let's say they were - they don't appear to be broken up ?

As I said some of the things on that list can be credited to the EU but some are down right distortions of the truth which then brings the whole post into question for its validity.

The Treaty of Rome, which I believe was 1957, included that there should be equal pay for men and women, however I don't think this was the driver behind the UK equal pay act, it was industrial action which began in a Ford plant, Dagenham I think, when female workers went on strike, The US had recently introduced an equal pay law which may have in part emboldened the ladies at Ford to stand up for themselves.
The way I see it, the EEC had the idea first, we did it independently, but, the EEC having that in the Treaty of Rome, would certainly have helped in the act getting support in Parliament.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It has everything to do with the EU. With freedom of movement they're able to travel to any country within the EU. Regardless of ability.

It's up to individual employers to check skills and qualifications. I don't actually believe you when you say there are people working in trades they are not qualified for. There may be the odd, isolated case on extremely dodgy private jobs but I've worked on many sites and you can't even get hired without at least the basic CSCS accreditation, let alone get on site to start working a trade you don't have the ability or correct CSCS card to perform. And most companies are going to need some proof of an NVQ in your chosen trade. Absolutely no building company I have ever come across would ever risk that.

Now, there are some some examples of companies , Taylor Wimpey being one , that have had issues and disputes with CSCS and there are problems with some of aspects of CSCS such as a migrant worker can do the test in their native language and go onto a site where all the signs are in English. But most signs are easily understandable symbols and voltage/electrical signs so it's not a huge problem. So, CSCS itself is not a watertight system. But, and it's a big but no reputable construction firm that employs significant numbers of people is ever going to risk their insurance policy by having unqualified, non CSCS card holders on site. If they do, you don't want to be anywhere near that site.

As I say, the odd private job or isolated case might deliberately be overlooked or the odd ignorant home owner who just wants their guttering done but, and I hope this isn't too uncivilised for you, past that you are talking gobbledegook And you know it too.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here