Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] *** Labour Party Annual Conference, 23-25 September 2018, ACC Liverpool ***

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As an ex TSB/Lloyds TSB employee, I am actually rather surprised that Labour are encouraging share ownership at all considering how risky it can be. Lots of employees owning shares won't stop stupid investment decisions by the board :)

I’ll wager most of the shares you had in LloydsTSB were either from profit sharing (ie freebies) or SAYE (bought at a decent discount to the market, 3-5 years after you’d saved cash to buy them, with any gain being tax free and if the price had fallen you’d have just taken your cash back). The risk taken on by most employees was through lack of portfolio diversification.......keeping all their eggs in one basket.

Staff having shares is a good move for most companies.....tend to work harder/care a bit more if you’ve git additional skin in the game. Trying to force it on smaller companies is daft though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ll wager most of the shares you had in LloydsTSB were either from profit sharing (ie freebies) or SAYE (bought at a decent discount to the market, 3-5 years after you’d saved cash to buy them, with any gain being tax free and if the price had fallen you’d have just taken your cash back). The risk taken on by most employees was through lack of portfolio diversification.......keeping all their eggs in one basket.

Staff having shares is a good move for most companies.....tend to work harder/care a bit more if you’ve git additional skin in the game. Trying to force it on smaller companies is daft though.

Are Labour only proposing this for large companies?

Large companies often like share schemes, to encourage retention of staff.

Small companies are rarely in favour, as they want equity to remain within their family.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Very good highlights and analysis programme on BBC2 just finishing.

Strong day for John McDonnell.

Tomorrow will bring the Shadow Brexit Secretary and the Shadow Home Secretary to the fore.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Doesn't seem a bonkers idea for very large companies, but can't see how you can enforce it for medium sized ones.

On the subject of student fees, it's easy.

The government simply needs to assess (via an independent body) where skills shortages are taking a long term view.

If the country requires engineers or math teachers, the fees (and living expenses) get paid by central government.

The fee "hangs over you" for say 5 years after leaving University and is written off if you can prove you have paid taxes in the UK over that period.

I'm bemused that "what you are studying" isn't linked to fees.

I have a BA (back in the day) of Media Studies and Business Management. All paid for including living expenses, first year of Student Loans with was nothing.

I also have a Masters in Computer Science completely self funded.

It should really be the other way round.

We are particularly good at Artificial Intelligence and Games Programming in this country. The government should be encouraging students to study both and work here.

Last edited:

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Very good highlights and analysis programme on BBC2 just finishing.

Strong day for John McDonnell.

Tomorrow will bring the Shadow Brexit Secretary and the Shadow Home Secretary to the fore.

Strong day for John Mcdonnal?
Party based on pie in the sky politics. Fantasy policies.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
She should be fine. She always wanted to be a teacher but fell into a good job after uni. She realised she didn’t really like it that much and was diagnosed with cancer when she was pregnant with our twin girls in 2010. Now she is better she decided to fulfil her life dream. Even if she decides after a few years it is not for her then she will have done what she always wanted to do.

For what it is worth, I think she is nuts.

The plusses from teaching young people are amazing, the downside is the bureacracy and the parents...the pay isn't exciting either, but I don't regret it one bit.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The plusses from teaching young people are amazing, the downside is the bureacracy and the parents...the pay isn't exciting either, but I don't regret it one bit.

Good stuff. Parents can be so difficult. Some just don’t engage while others are too engaged!

D

Deleted member 22389

Heard the same shit from Blair all those years ago, where did it get us in the end. They ****ed this country up. I Would never ever vote for this rotten party again.

D

Deleted member 22389

I get that....but nursing students in England do night shifts unpaid, and pay £9k a year in fees, and have to pay to live, so start work with £40k of debt. If they do really well, they might earn maybe £30k pa after 10 years. What are they being GIVEN exactly ?

A secure job for life, pension, sick pay and reasonable money. Not many people can say that these days. They do a fantastic job by the way and deserve every penny.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Heard the same shit from Blair all those years ago, where did it get us in the end. They ****ed this country up. I Would never ever vote for this rotten party again.

Lol....I'm no Labour Party supporter or any of the current lot for that matter ..but its a party conference an event to rally the troops with promises (lies?) and the conservatives are just as good at it

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010

A secure job for life, pension, sick pay and reasonable money. Not many people can say that these days. They do a fantastic job by the way and deserve every penny.

You complain about people not having decent working conditions in one post but admit you now vote for one of the parties that erode them in the other :mad:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Lol....I'm no Labour Party supporter or any of the current lot for that matter ..but its a party conference an event to rally the troops with promises (lies?) and the conservatives are just as good at it[/QUOTE]

I suspect that the Conservative Party Conference this year is going to be open warfare as May will finally be unable to supress the massive divide in their party over Brexit, in spite of the spin they will attempt to use to try and gloss over it...that same divide that has got the UK into the mess we currently find ourselves in.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Lol....I'm no Labour Party supporter or any of the current lot for that matter ..but its a party conference an event to rally the troops with promises (lies?) and the conservatives are just as good at it[/QUOTE]

I suspect that the Conservative Party Conference this year is going to be open warfare as May will finally be unable to supress the massive divide in their party over Brexit, in spite of the spin they will attempt to use to try and gloss over it...that same divide that has got the UK into the mess we currently find ourselves in.

I'd agree with that...and I was speaking in general terms

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Name them...

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Sarah Sands - campaigned for London Mayor (Tory) three times - Editor of BBC R4 Today programme.

Ask yourself why Rees-Mogg and Farage get so much airtime when one isn't an MP at all and the other is just a backbencher.

Why aren't the public being told of 18 Tory candidates suspended for hate/discrimination crimes, when the Labour antisemitism is mentioned every other day?

I will find more, but a bit busy this morning.

Edited to add this article. http://www.progressivepulse.org/pol...ge-objective-truth-relativism-and-gaslighting

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here