Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Stoke

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Rowett is a 1 trick pony and it's not a very exciting trick. I thought he'd do well for us as well but there was a lot of disquiet a LONG time before results started to show that we were a bit rubbish.

Ince is a very good championship signing - Terribly nice of Stoke to donate even more to our FFP fund though, cheers chaps!

I’d like to see Derby get promoted, We had some terrible angst in our promotion chasing seasons but it pales when compared to what Derby fans must feel, as it falls apart most seasons now. You appeared to have it in the bag late into the season on at least a couple of occasions and I was convinced you were coming up via the playoffs when you dismantled us at Pride Park and then went on to blow it AGAIN!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm wondering how much he impresses his managers. I can't be bothered to look it up, but it feels like he's had about 10 clubs now and he must be only in his mid-20s.

Flatters to deceive. He can rip you apart and then **** it up, regularly. He had some dreadful stats last season for player who had had the most shots without scoring.

Have to confess he always worries me when he plays against us.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm wondering how much he impresses his managers. I can't be bothered to look it up, but it feels like he's had about 10 clubs now and he must be only in his mid-20s.

He strikes me as very average and I can’t help but feel his surname has benefitted him. Had he not been the son of Paul Ince I feel he’d be playing his trade much further down the pyramid....at his natural level.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He strikes me as very average and I can’t help but feel his surname has benefitted him. Had he not been the son of Paul Ince I feel he’d be playing his trade much further down the pyramid....at his natural level.

I agree, I'm quite surprised at the number of people on this thread who rate him. Interesting that Huddersfield have decided he's not good enough if they want to stay up. Maybe he just highlights the gulf in class between the bottom of the Prem and the top of the Champ.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
...have spent £6m on James Mclean from WBA and now £10m on Tom Ince from Huddersfield.

I'd be massively underwhelmed I was them - I really don't see them going back up if that's the sort of rubbish they're after.

The baggies fan in our office can't believe his luck regarding Mclean along the lines of 6 Million for someone who runs around a lot' on top of the £15 million they've already paid is for Berahino (sp). He is reasonably happy with the under the radar signings they've made albeit he is pretty sure Rondon (Newcastle) and Chadli (abroad probably) will go before the window closes.

Rowett was on the radio this morning saying they were interested in James Chester. Clearly, Stoke are following the Cardiff model of 'Kick their way out of the division' 10 years ago that was probably about right but there are plenty of footballing teams that have made it out recently. I wouldn't be backing them at the prices (6-1 favourites). Then again, with so many clubs under transfer embargos, ownership issues and parachute money drying up there is nothing obviously worth backing or value. Forest, for example, have seemingly bought well but are 11/1 4th favourites. Sheffield Utd at 25's look about as good as it gets.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

His goal return in the Championship is very good.

By the looks of it most his moves have been up to the PL a level he isnt good enough for and then back down on loan the the Champ.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I’d like to see Derby get promoted, We had some terrible angst in our promotion chasing seasons but it pales when compared to what Derby fans must feel, as it falls apart most seasons now. You appeared to have it in the bag late into the season on at least a couple of occasions and I was convinced you were coming up via the playoffs when you dismantled us at Pride Park and then went on to blow it AGAIN!

It's all part of life's rich tapestry! I don't get too upset about it. That said, I was so confident after that game at PPS, confident throughout the final against QPR then it struck me that we'd lost. Still not sure how. :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A grammar lesson. It's 'Stoke is a shit-hole', not 'Stoke Is a shit hole'.

Shit hole can stand on its own in this sentence. No need for a hyphen as it’s a single adjective and a noun and completely clear.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Shit hole can stand on its own in this sentence. No need for a hyphen as it’s a single adjective and a noun and completely clear.
I know it can (although it is better with a hyphen), but that capital I is unacceptable.

Anyway, enough of derailing this thread, I was only taking the piss because I was bored for a few minutes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Gotta laugh.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Was reading oatcake last night, some very funny despairing comments.

Think Simster has called it spot on in the OP.

Rowett did a good job at Burton and Birmingham with limited resources, but if you research what Derby fans think about him you wouldn't have given him the Stoke job. He looks like he's your archetypal lower league functional football merchant and nothing more.
Something is rotten at Stoke, just like it was at Sunderland and they really needed to clear out some of the dead wood. Too many of their squad have the stench of relegation hanging over them, and they're not good enough to fight their way out of the championship.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Was reading oatcake last night, some very funny despairing comments.

Think Simster has called it spot on in the OP.

Rowett did a good job at Burton and Birmingham with limited resources, but if you research what Derby fans think about him you wouldn't have given him the Stoke job. He looks like he's your archetypal lower league functional football merchant and nothing more.
Something is rotten at Stoke, just like it was at Sunderland and they really needed to clear out some of the dead wood. Too many of their squad have the stench of relegation hanging over them, and they're not good enough to fight their way out of the championship.

Fight being the operative word , as it seems there are clashes between Mclean, Butland ,and Shawcross in the dressing room

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
A great comment:

Screenshot 2018-08-23 at 10.04.14.png

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Toxic club at present, it was interesting on MOTD2 when Mark Chapman said you have Brighton - Chairman, manager, players and fans all pulling in the right direction together.....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here