Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What would be your starting 11 v Watford (opening game)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I suspect you'll be right, assuming Andone gets a couple of matches beforehand. A few people writing off Locadia already, but I think he'll be a lot better this season. If he's fit, I think he'll start upfront, but if he's out 2-3 weeks Andone will. Murray to be third choice.

Away from home we need pace, hence Murray will be third choice and Jose will start ahead of March

Disagree on two counts:

1. Locadia will not be a regular starter, based on what we've seen. I'm taking a guess here, that he'll start FIVE games before Christmas.

2. And the suggestion that 'away from home, Jose will start ahead of March'. Typically Jose gets the nod against the teams we are aiming to beat, and March against the teams we are set up to contain.

Stumpy Tim

Disagree on two counts:

1. Locadia will not be a regular starter, based on what we've seen. I'm taking a guess here, that he'll start FIVE games before Christmas.

2. And the suggestion that 'away from home, Jose will start ahead of March'. Typically Jose gets the nod against the teams we are aiming to beat, and March against the teams we are set up to contain.

The second one is odd - hate to say it, but March is behind Jose in all respects, including defensive work IMO. He's far better as an impact player off the bench.

The first one... well we'll see I guess

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The gaffer's got a tough job now. Quality options in all positions (except 'keeper) with surely a CB to still come in. You could pick ten options for a starting line-up and still not get close. What a great problem to have.

I am just relieved that, bar one, everybody has us playing a solid back four.

I don't have room for another "three at the back" nightmare; the Chelsea one is still keeping me going.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The second one is odd - hate to say it, but March is behind Jose in all respects, including defensive work IMO. He's far better as an impact player off the bench.

I don't believe that to be the case.

Jose is absolutely a bigger attacking threat, but March's understanding of the role Hughton likes him to employ against a top team, is far better than any of the other wide players. I'm not knocking Izquierdo at all - he also works hard defensively - and uses his pace to great effect to get back and make blocks, etc. March doesn't need to do that - he's already sat there in the perfect spot, shielding the full back.

Horses for courses.

Stumpy Tim

Jose is absolutely a bigger attacking threat, but March's understanding of the role Hughton likes him to employ against a top team, is far better than any of the other wide players. I'm not knocking Izquierdo at all - he also works hard defensively - and uses his pace to great effect to get back and make blocks, etc. March doesn't need to do that - he's already sat there in the perfect spot, shielding the full back.

Horses for courses.

Strangely I was just watching a couple of highlights on Seagulls Player during our promotion year, and on more than one occasion March was caught ball-watching. I'm just not bought into Solly March as a starter to be honest

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Strangely I was just watching a couple of highlights on Seagulls Player during our promotion year, and on more than one occasion March was caught ball-watching. I'm just not bought into Solly March as a starter to be honest

That's your prerogative, of course. (Though using examples from Championship games, when we were not set up in the way that I'm describing, is of limited worth... :thumbsup: )

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
I am desperate for Solly to have a good season but really felt after a couple of months last year his confidence nose dived. He seemed so tepid and wasn’t running at players like the early part of season. Really hope he’s got his mojo back over summer but until that’s proven I think Izzy gets the pick all day long.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Horses for courses.

Half the time he's already sat there in the perfect spot, shielding the full back from the byline.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The first one... well we'll see I guess

:thumbsup: Izquierdo is simply a more accomplished player at this stage in their careers. His greater and real threat, which March lacks, also stops opposing LB/LW combinations feel that they dominate and both attack down that side at will.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Ryan

Bruno
Dunk
Duffy
Bernardo

Knockaert
Stephens
Bissouma
Pröpper
Izquierdo

Murray

I'd snap your hand off for a point, really important to get points on the board early doors.

I think we'll play this away from home with Andone up top for his pace instead of Murray. Ali for Knockaert depending on how he settles in.

Gross in for Bissouma for home games.

Edit- Andone might not be fit/ready

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Because it's what we do. We didn't have any choice but to throw Gros, Propper, Ryan and Suttner in at the deep end against Manchester City, but that was an exception.
Schelotto - had to wait;
Izzy - had to wait;
Locadia - had to wait.
That's our two record signings of all time up to then left to wait to get a place in the team. My guess is that Balogun, Bernado, Jahanbaksh, Bissouma and co. are all likely to have to wait their turn too.

Bernardo, Bissouma and Andone have had a pre-season together with the side. Any of them could be given the start. Balogun & Ali are less likely due to their involvement in the World Cup but should be up to speed soon and could make an appearance from the bench

IranianDude

Jul 25, 2018
Copenhagen, Denmark
5b5a32b6bad9c.jpg

As some of you mentioned earlier, I think Ali will start off from the bench the first few games.
This is my starting suggestion as a total noob (Just jumped on the bandwagon as an Iranian - but will stay with you guys forever since I love the way you guys handled the deal and showed so much passion/respect/love).

I only saw the Brighton game against Arsenal last season when you guys won.
Ezequiel, I remember due to his haircut from that game. I think he made an assist and a tall bold guy scored a header. But on Wikipedia, I see that the other right back is the team captain "Bruno Saltor ". So who will start? Bruno or senor Ezequiel?

I also checked out the team on FIFA 18 and it seems like Locadia got some great stats (78 overall). But only one goal in six games last season is not that impressive. Although this is premier league and he is young. Who will start on top? According to Wiki there are 6 forwards in the squad :eek:

Gross and Izquierdo seem to be the absolute stars of this team? I am just trying to get to know my new team <3

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bernardo, Bissouma and Andone have had a pre-season together with the side. Any of them could be given the start. Balogun & Ali are less likely due to their involvement in the World Cup but should be up to speed soon and could make an appearance from the bench
We'll see. In a couple of weeks or so.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Very good point re the press, I blame the heat for frying my brain! Just seems that we've played more closed door friendlies than I ever remember. Wasn't Crawley closed as well?

Yep. There will have been 3 this season. New approach i think. Easier (and cheaper) to arrange I guess. Crawley, Pompey and next week Nice.

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
Chris has been experimenting with Suttner as left midfield/wingback in pre season, so could he have a role to play?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
5b5a32b6bad9c.jpg

As some of you mentioned earlier, I think Ali will start off from the bench the first few games.
This is my starting suggestion as a total noob (Just jumped on the bandwagon as an Iranian - but will stay with you guys forever since I love the way you guys handled the deal and showed so much passion/respect/love).

I only saw the Brighton game against Arsenal last season when you guys won.
Ezequiel, I remember due to his haircut from that game. I think he made an assist and a tall bold guy scored a header. But on Wikipedia, I see that the other right back is the team captain "Bruno Saltor ". So who will start? Bruno or senor Ezequiel?

I also checked out the team on FIFA 18 and it seems like Locadia got some great stats (78 overall). But only one goal in six games last season is not that impressive. Although this is premier league and he is young. Who will start on top? According to Wiki there are 6 forwards in the squad :eek:

Gross and Izquierdo seem to be the absolute stars of this team? I am just trying to get to know my new team <3

Bruno (he doesn't use the 'Saltor' part) is our club captain. His level of technical ability is astonishing, as is his fitness level, given he is almost 38 years old. When he's fully fit, he'll play. Not only is he a better full back than Schelotto, but the right winger (Knockaert especially) tends to link better with him.

Locadia arrived from the Eredivisie for a lot of money, but has done nothing so far, and couldn't get a game last season ahead of Glenn Murray (the 'tall bald bloke' who scored the header against Arsenal). Because of the way we play, with only one CF, the role involves protecting the ball, and bringing the wide players into play. Locadia, so far, doesn't look to be very good at that.

Pascal Gros is a genius - he has limited pace, but still manages to look like he has loads of time on the ball. His delivery is as good as any in the division. If he WAS quick too, he wouldn't be playing for Brighton. I wouldn't really single him (or Izquierdo) out as 'the stars' though. The Albion team is not about individual stars. It is about hard work for each other, and knowing your role in the team really, really well. So I won't call them the 'stars' but our most important players are actually (local lad) Lewis Dunk, and CM Dale Stephens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here