Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Scotland World Cup Winners 1978

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
The 1970 team was definitely better than the 1966 World Cup winners. Why, oh why, did Alf Ramsey take off Bobby Charlton when we were beating West Germany 2-0? He was totally running the game and England had the match in the bag. We then lost the initiative, let them back in and Der Bomber - Gerd Muller - did the rest. Ifs, buts, and maybes. :shrug:

I agree that's why I made this post. http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...Elland-Road)&p=8480669&viewfull=1#post8480669

England could have won the 1970, 82, 90, & 2006 World cups. We never seem to get any luck. This coming World Cup is probably the first one where most neutrals have a team (Russia) other than England, that they would like to see lose.
It'll be interesting to see what controversial Refereeing decisions go Russia's way.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Those stamps are great. Was it the World Cup of Ballet?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Its interesting when you look at the 1966 videos with the union jacks waving, and I remember the whole country being behind the Scots as well in 1978

Its a pity we now have this sort of Palace rivalry and a lot of people wanting to break up the union today.

It’s only because Scots have such a chip they’ve become bitter. As a kid I always wanted the other UK countries to do well but now I’m England and NI only. The rest can do one because of their jealous attitude toward us...inc Manx! ;)

Stumpy Tim

I agree that's why I made this post. http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...Elland-Road)&p=8480669&viewfull=1#post8480669

England could have won the 1970, 82, 90, & 2006 World cups. We never seem to get any luck. This coming World Cup is probably the first one where most neutrals have a team (Russia) other than England, that they would like to see lose.
It'll be interesting to see what controversial Refereeing decisions go Russia's way.

I would add 98 to that list too

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
'There will be no Tartan Army in Moscow!'

And to be honest, any English 'army' that turns up will be struggling to find a flotilla of small boats to do a 'Dunkirk' for them!

el punal

Its interesting when you look at the 1966 videos with the union jacks waving, and I remember the whole country being behind the Scots as well in 1978

Its a pity we now have this sort of Palace rivalry and a lot of people wanting to break up the union today.

You are having a Turkish, my son! The whole country behind Scotland? There was more animosity then between us and the Jocks then there is today. I had to work in Scotland just before they departed for the “Argentine” and believe me there was no love lost between us footballing-wise.

As a country I love Scotland, and the Scots - real friendly bunch. But when it comes to football it’s a no-no. Forgive me, and my friends, when we laughed like drains when Peru turned them over in their first WC match of 1978.

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
Suspect most managers, when 2-0 up with 20 minutes left, would rest a 32 year old playing in the heat of Mexico, and rest him ready for a semi final three days later! But as you say, ifs buts and maybes?

I am reading Brian Glanville's excellent The Story of The World Cup at the moment and was surprised to learn that England were actually 2-1 down when Charlton went off. I also thought that they were 2-0 down. Both Charlton and Cooper were flagging and so taking off one of them off for Bell seemed sensible. Glanville was far more critical of Hunter coming on for Peters. Bought on to tighten things up he was all over the place apparently, even taking corners at one point. Regardless, Glanville concludes that the match was lost the moment Banks got food poisoning and its hard to disagree with that.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I am reading Brian Glanville's excellent The Story of The World Cup at the moment and was surprised to learn that England were actually 2-1 down when Charlton went off. I also thought that they were 2-0 down. Both Charlton and Cooper were flagging and so taking off one of them off for Bell seemed sensible. Glanville was far more critical of Hunter coming on for Peters. Bought on to tighten things up he was all over the place apparently, even taking corners at one point. Regardless, Glanville concludes that the match was lost the moment Banks got food poisoning and its hard to disagree with that.

Eh? Are you talking about the West Germany game in 1970? We went 2-0 UP!

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

The Scotland team of 78 was superb it was such a disappointment. Souness, Sir Kenny, Joe Jordan, Gordon McQueen, Kenny Buns (player of the year), Asa Hartford , Archie Gemill, Just watched programme on iplayer Scotland 78 and its no surprise we did so poorly - poor hotel, poor training facilities no one had watched the opposition play, the willie Johnston issue

That programme on BBC iplayer is well worth a watch; the stories of the fans who made the journey, that state of the hotel as well as some classic footage.. I was firmly behind the Scots as a football crazed 9 year old, whose passions had been firmly set alight by the Albion in the previous 4 years. I had never watched a world cup before and with never having known a world cup with England playing in it in my lifetime to that point, I was definitely "on the march wi' Ally's Army!". Even more excitingly, the Albion were linked I think with one or two of the Peruvian's who beat Scotland - Oblitas?? Was Cubilas one as well?

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Excellent little documentary on the BBC Iplayer still charting the campaign.

Personally, the fans had ripped up Wembley the previous year for no other reason than they were scum, so I was hoping for their early exit and as usual with Scotland, they didn't disappoint on that front. Only surprise was the manner in which it happened.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
That programme on BBC iplayer is well worth a watch; the stories of the fans who made the journey, that state of the hotel as well as some classic footage.. I was firmly behind the Scots as a football crazed 9 year old, whose passions had been firmly set alight by the Albion in the previous 4 years. I had never watched a world cup before and with never having known a world cup with England playing in it in my lifetime to that point, I was definitely "on the march wi' Ally's Army!". Even more excitingly, the Albion were linked I think with one or two of the Peruvian's who beat Scotland - Oblitas?? Was Cubilas one as well?

Good documentary. Watched it at the weekend. They really did think they could win the World Cup!

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003

I remember starting off wanting to see the Scots do well but soon succumbed to the comedic quality of their abject failure; a pattern that I have repeated since. I watched the Iran game in a boarding house on Montpelier Crescent with a Glaswegian and Iranian; great scenes.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
11p today is 67p
9p today is 58p

Not only that, its the very worst Royal Mail service that has ever existed.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Yeah I thought that was a telling point. When asked who took the free-kicks for the opposition, in an interview before the game, the keeper said he didn't know. He then let in two from free-kicks.

Scotland

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Scotland did have a run of very poor keepers at that time

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Scotland did have a run of very poor keepers at that time
I don't think it was just the keeper, but the whole squad mentality. Fancy not checking out the opposition at all :facepalm:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think it was just the keeper, but the whole squad mentality. Fancy not checking out the opposition at all :facepalm:

This was the seventies. Checking out the opposition in the formalised, er, form as we know it nowadays, didn't exist. There were no managers with plump folders of information, nor players bright enough to at least pretend to make use of that information, even if it were to be somehow made available.How do you check out, say, Iran, or Peru in 1978? Doubt many football associations could find them on a map.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here