Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Dunk - Russia 2018?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Has anyone seen Stones actually have a good game for England yet?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Regardless of where and when, Dunk will one day be playing for England. He has the potential to actually be better than Stones, Cahill and Smalling.

If we don't go up. I expect the top end Prem clubs (Spurs, Liverpool etc) to be the ones putting in the offers. Dunk is blatantly playing way below his level right now. His passing ability is as good as any defender in the Prem, as too is his ability to carry the ball. He's a quality defender all round.
Just because Wood out-muscled Dunk to score past us, doesn't suddenly make him not so good anymore. It's one little, minor error compared to the amount of good and consistent performances he's put in for us this season.

33-1 is a very worthy bet. I'd put my house on it if I hadn't already lost it.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Isn't Mawson English? High scoring centre back, there are 7/8 people ahead of him currently.

He'd need to move to a bigger team to get in the squad even if we are promoted.

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Rickie Lambert 2014
Theo Walcott 2006
Tom Huddlestone 2010

3 players who made England tournament squads, who, should never have got anywhere near (Theo was 17 at the time and hadn't played for Arsenal).

Is Dunk better than Stones and Cahill? Nope. Will he make the squad? Probably not. Could he make the squad with injuries and a run of form in the PL? Yep.

Not the worst 33-1 shot and besides which he's one of our own. Collecting would be all the sweeter.

Bit harsh on Thud, he was on the back of an outstanding season for Spurs and before the injury he was improving a lot.

As for Dunk till he cuts out the silly mistakes he will be nowhere near the squad - I make: Stones/Keane/Cahill/jones/Smalling/Gibson/Dawson/Dier/Migure/Mawson/Chambers ahead of him at least - plus then if you are playing 3 at the back Walker has played there before, as has Bertrand.

Stockdale is nowhere near good enough to play international football in my view - plus you have Hart/Butland/Pickford/Heaton/Forster/Foster

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Solly has the potential to get in the England squad if he continues to develop as he is. Dunk is excellent for us but his temperament is suspect - Duffy is the more mature CB of the two and he is younger.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Regardless of where and when, Dunk will one day be playing for England. He has the potential to actually be better than Stones, Cahill and Smalling.

If we don't go up. I expect the top end Prem clubs (Spurs, Liverpool etc) to be the ones putting in the offers. Dunk is blatantly playing way below his level right now. His passing ability is as good as any defender in the Prem, as too is his ability to carry the ball. He's a quality defender all round.
Just because Wood out-muscled Dunk to score past us, doesn't suddenly make him not so good anymore. It's one little, minor error compared to the amount of good and consistent performances he's put in for us this season.

33-1 is a very worthy bet. I'd put my house on it if I hadn't already lost it.

Spurs or Liverpool?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Stockdale is nowhere near good enough to play international football in my view - plus you have Hart/Butland/Pickford/Heaton/Forster/Foster

The first three of those stand out as the best around, but Foster has made himself unavailable, and Stockdale is comfortably on a par with the other two.

Heaton lets in some very saveable goals, and Forster is, frankly, shit - just a big guy with good reflexes and no goalkeeping craft whatsoever.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I think Lewis has the ability however he simply needs to prove himself against the best players in the country.

Fingers crossed that's with the Albion if not he needs to move and command a regular spot in a Premier side.

I'm writing an article at the moment on Championship players and their value to the England squad. Lewis Dunk has precisely 0 Premier League appearances. The squad that lost to Iceland had a combined total north of 2,500.

Is it such a bad idea to open the net a bit wider and give players who consistently perform regardless of their "level" a chance to do their country proud?

Jan 10, 2014
The first three of those stand out as the best around, but Foster has made himself unavailable, and Stockdale is comfortably on a par with the other two.

Heaton lets in some very saveable goals, and Forster is, frankly, shit - just a big guy with good reflexes and no goalkeeping craft whatsoever.

I'll bet that Heaton lets in less 'very saveable goals' than Hart makes genuine howlers.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
He's around 15th or so in the pecking order at the moment, IMO.

It would take King Ralph levels of injury for him to be called up.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I'm writing an article at the moment on Championship players and their value to the England squad. Lewis Dunk has precisely 0 Premier League appearances. The squad that lost to Iceland had a combined total north of 2,500.

Is it such a bad idea to open the net a bit wider and give players who consistently perform regardless of their "level" a chance to do their country proud?

Of course we would love to see England players from Championship clubs as players like Lewis probably have more game time during the season over many England squad players who spend half the season warming the bench.

However I can't see any England manager looking at any players outside the Premier for the simple reasons of lack of quality in the Championship and the media would have a field day ripping the manager to shreds, let's be honest most managers live in fear of the media.

While I'm sure many Championship players would be fine in qualifying games they would struggle in the final stages due to a lack of experience against top quality players.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Of course we would love to see England players from Championship clubs as players like Lewis probably have more game time during the season over many England squad players who spend half the season warming the bench.

However I can't see any England manager looking at any players outside the Premier for the simple reasons of lack of quality in the Championship and the media would have a field day ripping the manager to shreds, let's be honest most managers live in fear of the media.

While I'm sure many Championship players would be fine in qualifying games they would struggle in the final stages due to a lack of experience against top quality players.

I understand the arguments but I disagree with them on a fundamental level.

Being called up to the England squad should be because of form and ability not because of Premier League experience and history. To see players like Wilshere and Rooney called up because of past performance, which has invariably been poor performance I might add, is insulting to players who perform regularly at club level and should be given the opportunity to try..

Eliminating a pool of players because they aren't Premier League is shortsighted. This league has quality players. We should use them.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Laughable at the moment with his poor discipline record. Lewis can be excellent at times but also very naïve two incidents spring to mind in huge games Hooper & Wood, unless Lewis can up his game between now and then
he will not be playing for England in Russia 2018. 100/1 is more like it :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here