Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Genius! I think you'll find I'm still in Europe though.

Given the context of this thread, and our exchange, and they way you yourself have used the term, I think you know that I mean continental mainland Europe.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Was the £350 million a week saving, to be spent on the NHS campaign, designed to sway the minds of intelligent people?
Was Farages "Breaking Point" poster designed to sway the minds of liberal multiculturists?
The leave campaign went after the racists and the idiots and they got them.

Can't argue with that. Sure there were some, probably 10% including some on here, that don't fall into the above categories. But it's evident, it was plastered everywhere in big white letters on a red campaign bus. Oddly though, theres no plans to re-use the campaign bus for the victory parade.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Just watched Heseltine on BBC News clip ...

Never been his biggest fan but if I was looking for someone of experience and intellect who properly understands the inevitable economic fallout from Brexit then I wouldn't look much further.

Is he wrong?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Never been his biggest fan but if I was looking for someone of experience and intellect who properly understands the inevitable economic fallout from Brexit then I wouldn't look much further.

Is he wrong?

I take it this is the same Heseltine that in 2011 wanted to adopt the euro as our currency.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Is he wrong?

Yes .. what did he say?

:D

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Nick Robinson has tweeted the two points below. It's okay because no one voted for any of these reasons. No one will say "oops I fell for the lies" but interesting. People will point towards wrong predictions about the economy happening immediately but that was always tricky to guess. The below were just made up lies. The nuance on some will be lost of course but to most sane people the difference between a flat lie and a poor prediction is obvious. It could be related to football.

I think we will lose 3-1. Prediction

If we win then I will buy messi and Ronaldo - a lie.

Now clear why Boris kept off air this week. Leave's promises - to get back £350m, to slash immigration & to have cake & eat it - all binned

To be clear I am pointing to what ministers now say about what will do post Brexit. They have explicitly rejected each of those 3 promises

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Heathrow’s overseas backers have flown in the face of any fears surrounding Britain’s triggering of its two-year divorce from the EU by pledging £650m in investments for major projects..... The move by the investors follows a series of recent major investments in the UK by major global businesses -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...s-plough-650m-airport-pm-triggers-article-50/

(Also reported in the Times)

Surprising news considering EU airspace may well become a no-fly zone when we leave. :whistle:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Heathrow’s overseas backers have flown in the face of any fears surrounding Britain’s triggering of its two-year divorce from the EU by pledging £650m in investments for major projects..... The move by the investors follows a series of recent major investments in the UK by major global businesses -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...s-plough-650m-airport-pm-triggers-article-50/

(Also reported in the Times)

Surprising news considering EU airspace may well become a no-fly zone when we leave. :whistle:

Surprising indeed considering what The Daily Telegraph was reporting yesterday - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/03/29/uk-could-have-no-flights-europe-brexit-ryanair-warns/

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Is he wrong?
Yes.

I take it this is the same Heseltine that in 2011 wanted to adopt the euro as our currency.
Yes.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Do you honestly think these will happen ? Not looking for an argument my good man.
But we already Que at immigration and if we have to get in a different line would that line for instance not be smaller anyway in somewhere like Spain because we are not queening with the rest of Europe ?
These card charges you mention would not be any worse than going to the card machine in some back street off licence in this country.
The Data roaming only comes in 2019 you don't miss what you never had, and anyway it is could miss out, Not will miss out, big communication companies can strike a deal, why fret over something we have never had and may still get, waste of energy.

All of the above will affect the tourism industry of European countries we are visiting and they will put pressure on the powers that be, because at the end of the day they need our trade in tourism, so lets see shall we eh.

I love Europe, just hate the EU.

Yeah, I think it's inevitable that immigration and customs processes will take longer given that we're exiting the agreements that allow free movement and trade. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that there will be multi hour queues or anything silly but I am trying to make the broader point that there are going be things that we will miss. May is entirely wrong when she says that we will enjoy the same benefits outside as we did inside, it's clearly bonkers to even suggest that, right?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Lloyds of London are setting up an EU subsidiary with an initial 100 jobs being moved to Brussels - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...-set-brussels-subsidiary-profits-remain-flat/

(Available on multiple news sources, but pro-Brexit media outlet provided so not to upset anyone)
A small subsidiary office to deal with some of the 10% of their business which is with the EU. Hardly even worthy of being a news item, really. Just a bit of common sense by Lloyds really.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
A small subsidiary office to deal with some of the 10% of their business which is with the EU. Hardly even worthy of being a news item, really. Just a bit of common sense by Lloyds really.
c. £100m of GDP disappearing... Agreed. It is just a drop in the ocean.

Not even one third of the WEEKLY Brexit dividend...? :)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
c. £100m of GDP disappearing... Agreed. It is just a drop in the ocean.

Not even one third of the WEEKLY Brexit dividend...? :)
I think it's safe to say that Lloyds are canny enough to make sure £100M doesn't disappear. Just an indication that business (and life!) will carry on post Brexit. No idea what your fantasy Brexit dividend is all about.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah, I think it's inevitable that immigration and customs processes will take longer given that we're exiting the agreements that allow free movement and trade. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that there will be multi hour queues or anything silly but I am trying to make the broader point that there are going be things that we will miss. May is entirely wrong when she says that we will enjoy the same benefits outside as we did inside, it's clearly bonkers to even suggest that, right?

What worries me is they have two years to sort the agreement on customs AND then find the money and then build the necessary infrastructure and recruit and train the staff. Cloud cucko land.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here