Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What an excellent pitch-side advert by Harvey's

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Agreed. For me it's a smell of childhood. Used to walk into town from South Malling as a kid, normally laden with pocket money and on a mission to acquire Star Wars figures. Loved the thick smell of the brewery you got when you walked the narrow passageway leading into the Cliffe.

I still miss the smell of the Tamplins brewery. I used to play on The Level as a young kid and the smell of the brewery used to waft over Lewes Road. Every time I'm at The Level, I think of that smell, it's my version of Proust's madeleines and tisane.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
He/she is allowed opinion aren't they?

Of course but come on! Harvey's is rubbish ner ner ner ner ner. My Dad's bigger than your Dad type posts are pathetic. Dougie in disguise?

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
They are brewing lager now, when did that start.
Harveys Schmarveys.

I hear the Golden one is just Armada in a tin whilst the red one is just Lewes Castle in a tin.
Stick a fancy label on the can, carbonate then, call it "craft beer" and try to become trendy.

Oh and by reading the can you'll also see they now call it "bier" much to the amusement of Brighton Bier. Ha.

That'll be why Brighton Bier have named their new one the Prince Of Norway parodying Harvey's Prince Of Denmark.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Well done Harveys
image.jpg
Harveys Gold nice pump
Harveys are also good for the 68+ micro breweries in Sussex.
Real ale is very good in Sussex

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Agreed. For me it's a smell of childhood. Used to walk into town from South Malling as a kid, normally laden with pocket money and on a mission to acquire Star Wars figures. Loved the thick smell of the brewery you got when you walked the narrow passageway leading into the Cliffe.
I was probably walking from DeMontfort Road on a similar mission at the same time..... and also loved the smell.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I still miss the smell of the Tamplins brewery. I used to play on The Level as a young kid and the smell of the brewery used to waft over Lewes Road. Every time I'm at The Level, I think of that smell, it's my version of Proust's madeleines and tisane.

Smell if a very strong sense. I always remember the smell of the abattoir wafting across Ditchling Road. Horrible and I still don't know what produced it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I hear the Golden one is just Armada in a tin whilst the red one is just Lewes Castle in a tin.
Stick a fancy label on the can, carbonate then, call it "craft beer" and try to become trendy.

since Armada is bloody loverly, i dont see thats any bad thing. anyway, putting ale in a keg and carbonating doesnt make it a lager, though if it attracts in lager drinkers its a good thing.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well done Harveys
View attachment 80941
Harveys Gold nice pump
Harveys are also good for the 68+ micro breweries in Sussex.
Real ale is very good in Sussex

Indeed it has spurred on many local brewers to create some amazing beers. Mind you, I can't recall seeing Harveys on tap in Brooksteed at all ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I heard the owners of that are looking to sell.

They are indeed, very hard work as they are very hands on as regards quality and service. They are selling it on as a very much going concern, it's up to a new owner to put in the hard yards to maintain the standard set so far.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not a huge Harvey's fan. But that Rich Malty thing they've got is pretty decent. The Golden 'Bier' is also OK

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
since Armada is bloody loverly, i dont see thats any bad thing. anyway, putting ale in a keg and carbonating doesnt make it a lager, though if it attracts in lager drinkers its a good thing.
But it's not a lager. It's apparently a "Gold Bier".
Or Armada in a tin. Whichever you prefer.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Watched their video at the end of the match yesterday. Strange as the last shot shows the old Sussex pump clip, when they have completely revamped them.
Might confuse someone who has never heard of Harveys.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
We are riding the wave of a great era of brewing on the UK.

In 2005 there were under 100 breweries but tax changes in the 2000s made beer tax progressive meaning for small brewers they got a tax break of around 45 pound on a 72 pint barrel. We now have over 1200 breweries I believe.

This means a lot of choice and that larger brewers who before had a free run for being local and different now have to work hard and vary their line.

That's no bad thing and if there is some reverse copying then I don't mind. In that experimenting some real gems will be created. And for those who get to taste a local also like Harvey's and move on to something else by another local brewery then all the better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here