Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Thank God for that

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No doubt most of these geniuses were the same ones writing off Matt Ryan 12 months ago.
Did you miss all our away games last season including the reports or something? Why can’t you see our away performances are shit? And you mock others? Ok Stevie Wonder, what did you see today that we all missed?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
So many people on here today acting/sounding like they don’t know Chris Hughton at all.

He has always given shirt to players who’ve earnt it.
The new lads haven’t yet, and every key member of our first season in Prem has.

Fully expect with some players not delivering changes will be made, with talent in waiting.

It’s one game. And people seem to be playing down Watford.
Not that long ago they were flying in this league.

I totally agree with the above, and that's why I'm so utterly frustrated. Yes the boys from the last two seasons have earned the shirt, but yesterday (at this level) they were no where near good enough. Chris seemed shocked by the level of performance, but given his comments about not wanting to stand still and the risk that presents I can't fathom his setup and 'historic' selection. He was talking about players who know the system etc. yet the system invariably failed away from the Amex last season, so why continue to deploy it (with the same players) to ever decreasing returns?

I reserve the right to question Chris on the following: Why Murray? with no real pre-season behind him, zero rhythm and clearly not 100% fit, which at 35 at this level, coupled with his incumbent lack of pace is tactical suicide. Why no Hemed? Bizzarre, given he was our only striker with match sharpness and actual goals coming into the season. Why so few competitive pre-season games? Clearly we are miles off the pace as a result... and why no genuine tactical alterations? this after talking up an evolution in our playing style... and lastly, why only one new face in the starting XI? Clearly the new players are eager to impress and this talk of acclimatising to 'our' system is frankly utter bollocks when you look around at the other (clubs) successful debuts made yesterday. This and Bissouma making such a positive cameo when Hughton would seemingly argue he doesn't understand our system yet...

It really isn't about not knowing Hughton, indeed I'd argue that I know him too well. I picked the starting XI in the pre-match thread, with the exception of Bernardo, and I knew we'd setup and play the same old system we tried last time out... I realise he's an exceptional manager, but he is negative away from home, risk averse even... Personally I'd have rather lost 4-2 yesterday than sit through that garbage.

Oh well, it's only a game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I totally agree with the above, and that's why I'm so utterly frustrated. Yes the boys from the last two seasons have earned the shirt, but yesterday (at this level) they were no where near good enough. Chris seemed shocked by the level of performance, but given his comments about not wanting to stand still and the risk that presents I can't fathom his setup and 'historic' selection. He was talking about players who know the system etc. yet the system invariably failed away from the Amex last season, so why continue to deploy it (with the same players) to ever decreasing returns?

I reserve the right to question Chris on the following: Why Murray? with no real pre-season behind him, zero rhythm and clearly not 100% fit, which at 35 at this level, coupled with his incumbent lack of pace is tactical suicide. Why no Hemed? Bizzarre, given he was our only striker with match sharpness and actual goals coming into the season. Why so few competitive pre-season games? Clearly we are miles off the pace as a result... and why no genuine tactical alterations? this after talking up an evolution in our playing style... and lastly, why only one new face in the starting XI? Clearly the new players are eager to impress and this talk of acclimatising to 'our' system is frankly utter bollocks when you look around at the other (clubs) successful debuts made yesterday. This and Bissouma making such a positive cameo when Hughton would seemingly argue he doesn't understand our system yet...

It really isn't about not knowing Hughton, indeed I'd argue that I know him too well. I picked the starting XI in the pre-match thread, with the exception of Bernardo, and I knew we'd setup and play the same old system we tried last time out... I realise he's an exceptional manager, but he is negative away from home, risk averse even... Personally I'd have rather lost 4-2 yesterday than sit through that garbage.

Good post and comments that I wholeheartedly agree with. The set up and system didn’t work against pressing teams away from home last year so if CH doesn’t change it at all why does he expect it to work this season. CH needs to change things away from home which means he is going to have to gamble a little. Ironic that we have an owner who loves a gamble but a manager who seems to hate it :smile:

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

As much as I love hughton, it's really hard to argue with any of that. Good post. So frustrating and concerning that we looked so off the pace in every way yesterday. Hope to God we see a completely different performance v United next Sunday.

We seem to have focused on bulking up to better handle the physicality of the Prem this pre season. (Not that that showed in any way yesterday!) I hope that wasn't at the expense of actual fitness!

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

Absolutely this , I think anyone who followes Bha picked that starting line up a week ago so u can b sure Watford new it . Things need to change and fast , something feels wrong for me regarding pre season games let’s hope things improve and fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Good post and comments that I wholeheartedly agree with. The set up and system didn’t work against pressing teams away from home last year so if CH doesn’t change it all why does he expect it to work this season. CH needs to change things away from home which means he is going to have to gamble a little. Ironic that we have an owner who loves a gamble but a manager who seems to hate it :smile:

Precisely. I wanted to ask, which other manager would leave a match fit record signing on the bench? Jose maybe... if he was in a strop from some reason?!? We've pursued Ali for two - three seasons, we finally sign him and he gets overlooked for Knocky/March... I just struggle to see the logic. Andone (apparently fit), another player we chased all last season and he's nowhere to be seen... it's so confusing.

I'm praying for a rejigged XI next time out, otherwise this inconsistent yet dangerous Man Utd team could kick our (proverbial) ass. Remember, they owe us one too. Overall I'm not too hopeful.

el punal

I wouldn't say we've been over-complacent. The team was just shite out there and I feel for the fans making the journey home from up north this evening.

Yes, you’re right. I wouldn’t say we (the fans, I presume you mean) have been complacent or even the team. I was really looking forward to this game, excited and confident that our new signings would inspire us and produce a noteworthy performance. Instead we got the old guard performing one of the most insipid acts of football I’ve seen the Albion play in a long time. The one and only encouraging thing in the 90 minutes was the introduction of Bissouma and Jahanbakhsh, both looked as if they meant business.

I sincerely hope Chris Hughton reads the riot act to the team, and himself, over this debacle. Please, let this whole episode be a one-off, because if this is repeated over the season it will be bye-bye to the Premier League.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2018
If things don’t change I see myself being offered a season ticket next year as well as the c6,800 in front of me.

Locadia being fed by Ali J, gross and bissouma for the next 5 games imho will show where we truly are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Its obvious we needed a wake-up call and we have got one at the earliest opportunity.

The entire build-up among all of us, fans, club alike, has been one of over-confidence bordering on complacency. The selection and performance today was absolute continuation of that.

A rude awakening - act on it and we can do what we are capable of.

I hoped that this wasn't wishful thinking and today's performance suggested that it wasn't. No points from six in two away games this season, but if we can keep today's levels up we shouldn't be the worst away team in the league this season.

Great call by Hughton to bring in Bissouma away from home. He battled well and will improve. In games that are not against Liverpool, he will get the opportunity to show what he can do going forward.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
CH went for it late in the second half today. Looks like we now have the players to turn defence into attack. Exciting season coming up and maybe we will offer much more away from home now. Alireza and Locadia should make their claim for a starting place soon and then we’ll have choices for genuine counter attacking pace. Pleased and surprised CH chose to go with two centre forwards when he made the subs, I was not expecting that at Anfield !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here