Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Russia 2018 WC unfounded fears

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The only crap thing about this world cup so far has been the lack of European fans. South America have turned up en masse yet the European nations barely seem to have anyone there. It's a shame. I love seeing England games where the whole ground is covered in our flags.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The only crap thing about this world cup so far has been the lack of European fans. South America have turned up en masse yet the European nations barely seem to have anyone there. It's a shame. I love seeing England games where the whole ground is covered in our flags.

Probably see it like that tomorrow night , hopefully the right way up as well .

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
So it appears that only regular Joe England fans have gone to Russia, you know the ones who aren't going to get p1ssed-up and sing pathetic songs in the local square about German bombers and not surrendering to the IRA before chucking the furniture about. And funnily enough there are no problems. Strange that.
Sounds dull

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

There were hardly any French against Argentina, really poor

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think we all (me included) have fallen for the EU/UK propaganda against Russia. South Americans clearly haven't had this and have happily turned up in Russia and are having a great time.

England fans forum is full of fans like me who decided not to go for fear of the trouble and are now desperately trying to get tickets as apparently actually Russia is a really nice place and it's all going very very well.

Lesson learnt for me, never listen to the media.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I think we all (me included) have fallen for the EU/UK propaganda against Russia. South Americans clearly haven't had this and have happily turned up in Russia and are having a great time.

England fans forum is full of fans like me who decided not to go for fear of the trouble and are now desperately trying to get tickets as apparently actually Russia is a really nice place and it's all going very very well.

Basically it. Our media will have you believe all sorts.

I mean , they even manage to keep the Tories in power.

Was never going to be any issues. Hope those that thought it were and argued the toss now feel silly.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Well, I for one am really happy to have been wrong.
However, I would say that up until now we have not seen a massive English turnout and it seems those who are there are the real “ Fans”. I have been amazed at the number of fans from mostly South American countries and the way they have behaved.
If we continue to progress, and the number of teams diminish, I hope it continues as it has so far.
I really think I missed out on not going this time....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

So the footage of Russian fans meeting up for fights, and the footage of hundreds of Russian steaming through France punching and kicking holiday makers was all staged? :facepalm:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Was never going to be any issues. Hope those that thought it were and argued the toss now feel silly.
No I don't. That's like saying your friends told you not to play Russian roulette, but you did and you're fine, so they're all silly.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Was the stuff that happened in France propaganda?

That things have all gone well is fantastic, but surely there was every reason to be concerned it may not.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

That things have all gone well is fantastic, but surely there was every reason to be concerned it may not.

Indeed. So far. Russia doing very well probably helps, too.

The fallout from an England semi-final win over Russia would be the ultimate test of the new cuddly Russian attitude.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Indeed. So far. Russia doing very well probably helps, too.

The fallout from an England semi-final win over Russia would be the ultimate test of the new cuddly Russian attitude.

Was just thinking this. The traditional time for maximum carnage is following England's exit from the tournament but this would possibly trump that. Time may or may not tell, but to be fair it's been exceptional so far (and I was one of those snowflakes fearing the worst)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
So the footage of Russian fans meeting up for fights, and the footage of hundreds of Russian steaming through France punching and kicking holiday makers was all staged? :facepalm:

No clearly not, and that was in part why a lot have not travelled for sure.

However there perhaps could have been more reassurances that actually its a decent country with decent people. I'm a bit confused why they are viewed so much with suspicion by the West when they re clearly not dissimilar to ourselves.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
However there perhaps could have been more reassurances that actually its a decent country with decent people. I'm a bit confused why they are viewed so much with suspicion by the West when they re clearly not dissimilar to ourselves.
I think you misunderstand. It's not the people that are the problem, it's the authorities. It wasn't the normal law abiding citizens of Russia that went on a rampage in France.

If Putin wanted his police to beat up the English and pretend the rest of the supporters from around the world were fine, he would have. It seems instead (for now) that they've told their public (and police) to behave, or they're of to Siberia.

That doesn't mean I fell for propaganda. We have Russian people come and live with us, all good people. The same applies to people from around the world.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I think you misunderstand. It's not the people that are the problem, it's the authorities. It wasn't the normal law abiding citizens of Russia that went on a rampage in France.

If Putin wanted his police to beat up the English and pretend the rest of the supporters from around the world were fine, he would have. It seems instead (for now) that they've told their public (and police) to behave, or they're of to Siberia.

That doesn't mean I fell for propaganda. We have Russian people come and live with us, all good people. The same applies to people from around the world.

Exactly this. i think there has been a very strong message that people are to behave and show Russia off. It is a lot more damaging to the wests perception of Russia if it is the tournament with the least trouble for a long time. Papers like the Sun would have been desperate for some juicy fights but haven't been able to report it. It is a clever move by Russia and one that allows them to say that there is an agenda against them

One thing I did see was the Russian fan that jumped on a Police car to celebrate the win over Spain and was immediately set upon buy the Police. I think that may have been a 'you were warned about acting like a knob' message.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I've just returned from Russia where I was able to watch four matches and visit six cities.
It was a very memorable experience and far exceeded my expectations.
Foreign visitors are probably being allowed a lot more freedom than normal and the Fan ID with your own unique barcode means that the authorities know who is where and when. The cost of food and drink is cheap and plentiful, the welcome is friendly and massive, while the cities are stunning and very clean.
It's my fourth World Cup and my favourite so far. I wish I could have stayed longer.
One thing that did surprise me was how cheap and frequent the direct flights were and the fact that it only took 2hrs 45mins to fly back from St.Petersburg to Heathrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here