Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Countries you would never wish to visit?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
People are very selective about human rights issues though.

We're happy to stick their oil (and that of the other Gulf states) in our cars
When we fill up with petrol, we don't get a choice where it comes from.
we're happy to buy phones, computers and televisions made in sweatshops in China.
Because of the international laws, we don't have much choice about where to get our products either.
Because it's football related and there is bad blood over the World Cup bid, people seem to apply a different set of rules.
They are using slave labour and working people to death. It's not because of football I don't like it.
Having spoken to some people there, it is an embarrassment, and things are moving forwards, albeit at a much slower pace than we would all like to see.
So they'll stop working people to death when the stadiums are finished?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Sadly, most countries in mainland Europe ... in the grip of rising political extremism and imminent threat of islamic terrorist attack. #thankseu

You're right. Denmark is clearly on the brink and as for that Portugal place - full of men with shiny shoes and small moustaches. And have you ever tried to get a copy of the Daily Express on the Adriatic? They're all clueless over there; don't know what civilisation is. Ganging up on us too. Well done for avoiding most of them.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Interesting subject.
Countries I never wish to visit include:
- India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. I have visited three of them on business trips but would never ever consider going on holiday. I have no desire to experience poverty and filth when I'm on holiday, nor to stand a good chance of "delhi belly".
- UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia. All ruled by very unpleasant regimes with nothing whatsoever to offer the tourist that you can't find somewhere else. The one country worth visiting in the region is Oman. The nicest people in the area .... and mountains. I have visited all except Saudi and Kuwait on business and lived in Qatar.
- Mexico. Been there twice and both times got the runs. That's quite enough.

Cannot understand the criticism of the USA by some on this thread. By far my holiday destination of choice. There is so much variety, spectacular scenery, food we recognise, no language problem, and wonderful road trips. What's not to like?

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
The best thing about Brunei that I found was crossing the Malaysia border into Sarawak and finding loads of beer and carloads of Bruneians drinking it.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
There's no country I wouldn't want to visit. Apart from Iceland but that's because of their Israel boycott.

Edit: "Iceland capital retracting decision to boycott Israel" so I guess I'd be happy to go to Iceland now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It isn't. Look up the definitions of a country - they don't apply to Scotland.

Okay. As per the Oxford Dictionary:

Country: a nation with its own government, occupying a particular territory.

1) it's a nation (Oxford definition: large body of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular state or territory.).
2) It has its own government (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Government)
3) They occupy a particular territory.

And if you look on this Government glossary under Country you'll see Scotland is a country.
http://webarchive.nationalarchives....phy/beginner-s-guide/glossary/glossary-c.html

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
OF COURSE Scotland is a country. It's been in a union with England for 300-odd years. If you're arguing Scotland is not a country by virtue of being part of the United Kingdom then the same would surely apply to England.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Interesting subject.
Countries I never wish to visit include:
- India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. I have visited three of them on business trips but would never ever consider going on holiday. I have no desire to experience poverty and filth when I'm on holiday, nor to stand a good chance of "delhi belly".
- UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia. All ruled by very unpleasant regimes with nothing whatsoever to offer the tourist that you can't find somewhere else. The one country worth visiting in the region is Oman. The nicest people in the area .... and mountains. I have visited all except Saudi and Kuwait on business and lived in Qatar.
- Mexico. Been there twice and both times got the runs. That's quite enough.

Cannot understand the criticism of the USA by some on this thread. By far my holiday destination of choice. There is so much variety, spectacular scenery, food we recognise, no language problem, and wonderful road trips. What's not to like?

Pardon me, did you just say Sri Lanka, did you only go to Columbo on business?
It is the most beautiful, scenic island, with lovely friendly, very humble people who constantly smile even if they have nothing.
Kandy with the temple of the tooth is a fascinating city, the history goes back centuries, the culture is on every street corner, many fantastic hotels serving great local and worldwide cuisine. Tea plantations, waterfalls, jungles,good beaches and wildlife, crikey i could go on all night about what a fabulous island Sri Lanka is to visit, and if you fancy it you can split it with The Maldives.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
most have named the fly infested sh1tholes
but I would love to go to India and take a flyswat

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Basically any Islaamic country under Wahaab or Salafist influence,as they are full of nutters.

any Islamic country with the exception of North Korea

1 North Korea
2 Iraq
3 Eritrea
4 Afghanistan
5 Syria
6 Pakistan
7 Somalia
8 Sudan
9 Iran
10 Libya
11 Yemen
12 Nigeria
13 Maldives
14 Saudi Arabia
15 Uzbekistan

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can't think of any countries which I wouldn't want to go to but there's plenty which have never really appealed to me. And Switzerland would be one if it didn't have ski resorts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here